Haitian defender playing with Peñarol?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Scotty, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I war recently surprised to read about a Haitian defender playing with Peñarol in Uruguay. His name is Jean Jacques Pierre. He seems to have nailed down a spot in the starting line-up and has been playing in the Copa Libertadores. I was wondering if Clavijo might have used his Uruguayan connections to help him get the transfer. Anyone know this, or anything else about him?

2. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Clavijo is a man with many connections he was just recently my coach before he was with the national team, he coached me in Ft. Lauderdale in a team called "Renegades Elite Nike Premier" the 12th ranked youth team in the nation for under 16 boys division, I know him very well and he probably had alot to do with Pierre going to Peñarol, as you all might know Clavijo played for U.S but was born in Uruguay.

3. Penarol1916

Penarol1916 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    He's a young guy that Penarol has brought in as part of the future. The fans see promise in him, but are disappointed in the fact that he was the most siginificant addition to the side prior to Libertadores, while they have let a number of key players go, ie Chilavert, Estoyanoff. So he is being watched closely, and skeptically by many, and if he does not perform well, he will probably become someone who the fans hate very quickly.

4. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    In his first match in Libertadores the commentators were gewtt'n on him because he made a mistake and they carried it for the whole game.

5. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    My understanding Ronald from Haitian press ....it was not Clavijo who got the Haitian Player Pierre-Jean Jacques on the Uruguay Club Penarol.

It was the former Haitian National Coach Hugo Castelli who got Pierre-Jean Jacques a place in the Penarol Club, Not Clavijo.

6. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Well guess what Bana??????????Jorge Castelli is my new coach, and Clavijo was my old coach what youth team do you know that has better coaches???lol, Castelli does have many more connections than Clavijo, He has many times told us that we have doors open to go try out at River Plate youth team and if we get sent back that Peñarol would want to have a look at us, so Castelli seems more reasonable answer than Clavijo even though Clavijo is from Uruguay.

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Jean Jacques Pierre playing with Penarol first team?
    Any more haitian playing abroad?

8. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I heard about a Haitian playing in the US A-League but besides that I haven't heard about anyone.

9. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Rapids Sign Haitian Striker Jean Philippe Peguero
    (3/31/2004)

DENVER, C0 (03-31-04)- The Colorado Rapids announced today the signing of Haitian international striker Jean Philippe “Pedro” Peguero, who inked a multi-year deal with Major League Soccer that will link him to Colorado for at least the upcoming season. Per MLS policies details of the contract were not disclosed.
    The 22-year old forward, who was recommended to the Rapids coaching staff by Fernando Clavijo, a former U.S. International who is currently the head coach for Haiti, most recently played for his national team in the 1-1 draw against the U.S. National Team in Miami.

In Haiti’s 5-0 win over Turks and Caicos in the first leg of the opening round of CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying, Pedro opened the scoring for Haiti with a first half penalty. In that match, as well as in a number of different friendlies and Olympic qualifiers, Peguero has developed a lethal partnership with fellow forward Johnny Descollines, with each adding greatly to their goal tallies.

Pedro was born in Port-de-Paix, Haiti on September 29, 1981 and has appeared on ten occasions for his full National Team with a further nine caps with the Under-23’s. He last played his club soccer with Haitian First Division side Don Bosco.

Since coming to train with the Rapids in late March, Pedro has impressed both the Rapids coaches and his new teammates with his speed, size and finishing ability. He had a goal and an assist in the second half of the Rapids’ 4-0 win over the University of Denver on Tuesday, March 23, and then added another goal in Colorado’s 2-2 draw with the MetroStars in San Antonio, Texas on Saturday for a perfect two goals in two games with Tim Hankinson’s side.

A strong and forceful target striker who is also equally adept at running at defenders with the ball at his feet and scoring with accurate headers, Pedro will bring a strong component to the already diverse Rapids offense.

#10 Jean Philippe Peguero
    “Pe-gare-oh”
    -FORWARD-
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 185
    Born: September 19, 1981 in Port-de-Paix, Haiti
    National Team Experience: 10 caps full Haitian National Team and 9 caps for the U-23 National Team
    Last Club: Don Bosco (HAITI)

TRANSACTION
    Soccer-MLS
    Colorado Rapids- Sign forward Jean Philippe “Pedro” Peguero.

10. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    I've seen a couple of recent Penarol games, and Pierre started both at right back. Did a solid job, although nothing memorable.