Haitian-American make Cover of FIFA 2008 Football/Soccer video game

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by bana2166, Aug 9, 2007.

1. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    COVER BOY: Josmer Altidore makes cover of FIFA 2008 Football/Soccer Video Games

[​IMG]

No, you're not dreaming. That's Red Bulls' 17-year-old forward Jozy Altidore on the cover of FIFA Soccer 08, produced by Electronic Arts Inc. He's on the left, along with Barcelona and Brazilian star Ronaldinho and Club America goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa.

Aitidore became the second youngest player to be featured on the cover of an EA product. Former Real Salt Lake midfielder Freddy Adu was 16 when he was the cover boy. Adu last week signed to play with Benfica of the Portuguese First Division.

What makes Altidore's cover boy status even more incredible is that he has scored but seven goals in his professional soccer career.

"At EA SPORTS we believe in identifying the most talented up-and-coming athletes in the world to help us develop the most authentic sports games," EA SPORTS director of marketing Romain Rossi said in a statement. "We believe Altidore is one of the next great American soccer stars and Ochoa is winning admiration from many fans for his exceptional ability."

Altidore is one of only five teenagers selected to appear on an EA SPORTS videogame cover. The Red Bulls striker joins Adu (FIFA Soccer 06), Carmelo Anthony (NCAA March Madness 04) of the NBA Denver Nuggets, Wayne Rooney (FIFA 06 in the United Kingdom) of Manchester United of the EPL, and Kevin Durant of the NBA Seattle Sonics, who will be featured on NCAA March Madness 08.

On the world stage Altidore helped lead the U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team to a quarterfinal finish at the recent Under-20 World Cup, scoring four goals in five games. He has registered three goals this season for New York, after finding the back of the net four times in nine games, including the playoffs.

Altidore made his professional debut in MLS and scored his first professional goal during the 2006 season at 16, instantly becoming a fan favorite.
    "It's exciting to be on the cover of my favorite videogame and I am really looking forward to playing as myself in FIFA Soccer 08," Altidore said. "I can hardly wait to play with my virtual character wearing the Red Bull uniform and taking on the world's top defenders one-on-one. "

Guillermo Ochoa, 22, has stood out for the Mexican National Team. Ochoa most recently demonstrated outstanding ability as a starting goalkeeper for Mexico at Copa America, helping lead the national side to the semifinals.

Haitiwebws.com