Hahnemann: Rotherham vs. Reading, 9/7 8am EST (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Sep 6, 2002.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Butler rounds keeper and gets cleared off the line...Looking like 0-0. No one has the final push.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather is worsening. The rain is coming down.

Announcers have now become Marcus apologists.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "in the second half, he's been so assured" give him his due, four clean sheets" Nice words for MH.

4. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Er--he's not on loan anymore, guys. :D

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow. sounds like MH gets a bit lucky, two point blank shots, one at him one over.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    why would john mackie save the day for rotheram?
    Still, no idea what the cricket guy is babbling about. Surely it's a put on, right?

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Header by Lee goes cenitmeters wide. Marcus dodges one again.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    MH has made a difference today. reading dropped two of first three in the final minutes.

9. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazingly, the points are shared.

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    270 minutes and counting, not bad. Bit shakey at times, but solid when needed.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think there are Berlitz tapes available so you can learn how to speak (or at least read) cricket.

Weird match for Marcus, judging by the commentary. Will there be highlights of this one on FSW tonight?

12. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Marcus ... another clean sheet! :)

13. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    This could be a good season for Reading. Alittle luck and Marcus is in the EPL.

14. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    That's a big ole reach. I think they'd be glad to stay up.

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd agree. It's different league to the one Reading left in 1998, purely due to the extra TV money. Top half will be a success.

Cricket is very simple. The batsmen come out and they are in. They stay in until they are out, then another batsmen comes out and he is in. Once 10 batsmen are out they all go in, change, and then both teams come out and the other side are in. They are in until they are all out, and once both team have been in and out twice the one with the most runs is the winner, unless time is out in which case if one team is winning then the game is a draw. I hope that's cleared that up.

16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes,but what's a googly and how do you become a silly mid-off?

17. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm eating into the outer edges of my ignorance here but a googy is a type of delivery (like a pitch). A ball can be bowled in such a way that when it bounces it moves to the left or the right. A googly is a ball that looks like it is going to bounce to the right but actually bouces to the left instead. I'm not 100% on my fielding positions but the field can be split into two sides, leg side and off side. In baseball terms leg side would be the 3rd base side and off side 1st base side. I think silly mid-off is a player who fields very close in the middle of the off side (silly presumably be a reference that it's not too smart to stand in a position where you could easily get whacked by the ball). Other fine terms are deep square leg - a fielding position perpendicular (square to) the batsman a long way back (deep) on the leg side.
    A Maiden. Bowlers takes turns to bowl. The bowlers bowls 6 balls (called an over) before changing bowler. To bowl 6 balls without conceding any runs is called a maiden, presumably a play on the phrase "to bowl a maiden over". LB or LBW is leg before wicket, meaning that a batsmen's leg blocked the path of a bowl that would otherwise have hit the stumps. This is not allowed and the batsman is out. Many bowling deliveries, such as a googly, as designed to try and trick a batsman into doing this by mistake.
    The slips are fielders behind the batsman, but there can be three or four of these in a diagonal line on the off side, rather than just the one fielder you get behind the batter in baseball. Caught behind in the slips refers to a catch being taken by one of these fielders.
    A bowler being 3 for 57 (for example) means he has got three people out and conceded 57 runs. A bowler's average is runs conceded divided by wickets taken. A team being 257 for 6 is just their score and how many wickets they've lost.
    A duck is to be out without scoring. A pair is to get ducks in both innings in a match. A golden duck is to out first ball (obviously without scoring).

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, thanks for clearing that right up. I actually found myself stuck in a hotel in rural Mozambique a couple years ago, with only South Africa v. Aus test match to keep me company...had not idea what I was watching, but hey...
    Royals a bit down on MH's performance, as was the BBC. However, the Guardian lavishes the praise (okay, gives him the play of the day) for a saving a sure goal of a header from White.
    I must admit I'm a luddite and do not understand how to make a link, but the address is www.guardian.football.co.uk.
    RichardL:
    Reading had a goalless run like this in January/Feb. Wasn't MH in the nets for a part of that one as well?
    To answer the promotion notion: Staying up is our promotion, for this year.

19. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
    We kept 7 clean sheets on the trot. I think Big Marcus was in goal for 4 of them and Ben Roberts was in goal for the other 3.

20. Scrandal

Scrandal Member

Nov 5, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Big Marcus

Is he "big marcus" because he eats lot of fish and chips since he left the states?

When he was with us in MLS he was rather medium to small in size?

What is he around 6 foot and 185 plbs.?

21. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Big Marcus

MLSnet lists him at 6'3", 220: http://www.mlsnet.com/bios/marcus_hahnemann.html

22. Hurst Royal

Hurst Royal New Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Hurst, Berks
    Interested to stumble upon this thread via a Reading FC message board at www.royals.org

Anyone interested in being kept up to date on Hahenmann's progress at Reading is very welcome to e-mail me. I am a season ticket holder at the Madejski Stadium and a regular away traveller.

23. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    I'd prefer that you post a brief report here on his performance or post a brief report on royals.org and then link to here.

For each game Buffalo Soldier or (someone else) will start a thread on Reading to which you can add your report or link. Linking is describes in the FAQ link near the top of the screen.

24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Welcome to BigSoccer Hurst - posters who are actually able to see the players live make this forum a lot more interesting. Hopefully you can stop by occasionally and let us know how our Yank is doing. Is the message board obvious on the page you linked? I only looked briefly but couldn't find it.