Hahnemann: Keeper battle at Reading

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ddw31089, Aug 3, 2005.

1. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Article on Sky Sports about the increased competition for the starting keeper position at Reading. Here are some of the most interesting parts.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...eeper+battle+at+Reading&channel=football_home

Seems like Graham Stack is being brought in as a backup with an eye toward the starting position in the next year or two, but it should be interesting to see how this develops (especially if Hahnemann gets injured).

2. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Until I hear the coach say there is a doubt as to who will get the #1 shirt, this is just a backup running his mouth. The backup is young and good and will push Hahnemahn to stay on top of his game, that is a plus for the club. But right now, there is no keeper battle in anyones mind but the #2. Until i hear differently....

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Seems the standard "I'm here to fight for a spot" kind of artcile on the new signing. I have yet to see someone say "Ya, I came to this club to make money riding the pine".

IN this case, it's for GK's. I have a hard time seeing Reading ditching Marcus right now when they've got as far as they have with him. Stack's got some talent but he's still relatively young and inexperienced for a GK. If they had a crap year last year and were going through rebuilding, I'd suspect otherwise. But if that were the case, I'd also expect them to try to sell MH off to another fizzy pop club pushing for promotion.

4. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Wasn't there an interview where Jovan Kirovski said that once? I keed. I keed.

I agree. It's just what you'd expect a new signing to say.

Look, with the problems Arsenal have had with goalkeeping--especially last season--Stack would still be there with them if he were all that.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    doubt there is a battle. stack isn't even healthy rright now as he has a broken thumb

6. jelliot

jelliot Member

Jun 10, 2002
    DC, Adams Morgan
    yeah right

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm glad Marcus has some competition. It'll push him to improve his game. If KK goes down, I think Marcus starts for us at the World Cup. Not Timmay.

8. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
    I know this if for convey, but didnt feel like starting a new thread.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/Article.asp?id=295868

Code:
    Reading had high hopes of United States international Bobby Convey last season and although he endured a difficult campaign he has now settled  and has looked in fine form in pre-season