H.P. Lovecraft

Discussion in 'Books' started by Belgian guy, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I want to immerse myself in his work. Other than a handful of his stories - this was back in high school - I'm not really familiar with his work.

What would you recommend me as a starting point? Preferably something I could order off Amazon.

2. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Unless you become a hardcore fan, there isn't really need for a starting point, as he wrote mostly short stories. There's a B&N edition which includes all of his fiction (well, major fiction - I think it excludes some juvenilia and most of the stories he ghostwrote for others) in a single volume, but it's out of print right now (you can still get a copy for around forty bucks on amazon, though - the title is H. P. Lovecraft: The Fiction).

Alternatively, get these three:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Thing-Doorstep-Stories-Penguin-Classics/dp/0142180033/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b"]Amazon.com: The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories (Penguin Classics) (9780142180037): H. P. Lovecraft, S. T. Joshi: Books[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cthulhu-Stories-Penguin-Twentieth-Century-Classics/dp/0141182342/ref=pd_cp_b_2"]Amazon.com: The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics) (9780141182346): Howard Phillips Lovecraft, S. T. Joshi: Books[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dreams-Witch-House-Stories-Classics/dp/0142437956/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c"]Amazon.com: The Dreams in the Witch House: And Other Weird Stories (Penguin Classics) (9780142437957): H. P. Lovecraft, S. T. Joshi: Books[/ame]

I'd recommend The Thing... first. You can start with basically any story, though - except for the Dream Cycle stories there's no real continuity (unlike later writers who took elements from his stories, Lovecraft wasn't really concerned with that).

1 person likes this.
  3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Repped

Just ordered all three. Much appreciated. :)

4. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    No problem :).

In those three volumes you get pretty much all major stories which were published during his lifetime.

What's missing are his amateur writings, unpublished and unfinished stories and collaborations. But that's all stuff I wouldn't recommend until someone has become seriously interested.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    They arrived yesterday and are next in my reading stack. Should be able to start sometime this weekend. I'll report back here. :)

6. berserker999

berserker999 Red Card

Jan 22, 2011
    I heard that HP lovecraft. Has afraid of the underground and hated water. They said that he believed creatures lived underground and that he would stay away from any type of water area.

Anyone else heard about this?

7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    He had a phobia of fish, amphibians and the like. Well, actually he probably had too many phobias to mention. But he didn't really believe in monsters or anything.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son was thinking about attending Miskatonic University next year. Anyone have any reviews or experience?