Högaborgs BK match thread (Winkler) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dandal, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Here's one that has managed to go unnoticed for half a season:

Nate Winkler (A-league with Virginia Beach last year and I think Minnesota a couple of years ago) spent the 2003 season in Sweden, playing for 2nd division south region (that is 3rd level) Höllviken with his friend Jeremiah Bass, contributing to Höllviken's best season ever, finishing 3rd.

[​IMG]
    Nate Winkler

I just found him in the sports pages of my old hometown's newspaper. Nate has returned to Sweden and is playing for another 2nd division south club, Högaborgs BK. He is a forward and played 9 out of 11 league games before the summer break (he's had some thigh problems), scoring 4 goals. The league restarted this weekend and Nate scored the only goal in Högaborg's somewhat unexpected 1-0 win against Laholm. Even if his goal made him the hero of the match, he should have scored on more of his opportunities, according to the reporter.

Högaborg isn't and has never been a big club, but is well known for their youth program and talent development. Most known Högaborg players are Joakim Persson (Hansa Rostock), Mats Magnusson (Benfica) and Henrik Larsson (Celtic, Barcelona). Mr Larsson has promised to play his last year(s) in Högaborg before he finishes his career.