Gyau & Renken at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Willy23, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willy23

Willy23 Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Connecticut
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=670533&sec=us&cc=5901&campaign=rss&source=soccernet

2. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gyua & Renken at Hoffenheim

Wow, that's awesome. The article says they won't return to residency, but I wonder what that means for the U-17 World Cup.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

They were both question marks to begin with.

Renken due to concerns regarding the recovery from his injury, and Gyau because he left residency a while ago.

"During their first year, they will be permitted to split time between Germany and Vancouver, where they will attend school and be trained to prepare for a full-time adjustment to Germany the following year."

Vancouver?

Does Hoffenheim have some sort of academy in Vancouver? Who will they be training with while they're there?

4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Vancouver is almost as far away from the East Coast as is Hoffenheim, and it is still in a foreign country. I'm not sure that aspect makes any sense.

5. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Awesome news.

6. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's clearly because of the relationship between the directors of the Vancouver academy and the Hoffenheim academy as mentioned in the article.

"Thomas Niendorf, who runs Vancouver's academy, has worked in Germany with Hoffenheim's academy director, Ernst Tanner."

Presumably that relationship will give them consistency in training methods and expectations as they switch from place to place.

7. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"During their first year, they will be permitted to split time between Germany and Vancouver, where they will attend school and be trained to prepare for a full-time adjustment to Germany the following year."

Why Vancouver ?

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's what we've been waiting for. Lletget, Gil, now Gyau and Renken. And it's only the beginning.

The Vancouver link is a bit odd. If anybody is an expert on the Whitecaps setup, it would be great if they could chime in. I know that they have working relationships with a number of German clubs and part of their academy experience often includes loans overseas to Germany. I'm not entirely sure of the details though.

With this Vancouver/Hoffenheim link and the Agbossoumonde deal with Miami FC/Traffic Sports/Desportivo Brasil (Dominguez, too), it seems that these weird 3rd party deals are in vogue these days.

9. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA

As long as they "stay American" this sounds like a great move.

Also it would be nice if Hoffenheim can stay in Bundesliga 1 the entire time.

10. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a player's agent is supposed to talk them and their situation up, but there is no evidence that would lead anyone to refer to Hoffenheim as anything resembling a club in possession of one of the world's great youth setups. Maybe they will get there, but they haven't really produced anyone of note yet.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I'm not worried about Renken in that regard. His other option is Zambia, which isn't exactly a soccer power.

Gyau I do worry about. His father actually played for Ghana....plus (if you believe message board gossip) there's been tension between the Gyau's and the U17 coaching staff. It'll be really interesting to see if Gyau will be called into the u17WC squad.

12. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I like the style that Hoffenheim play. This is only coming from one game vs Bayern but they looked good.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I've been saying for a while that none of our current crop of U17 stars will go to MLS. I'm sure we'll hear about others shortly.

I think these 3rd party deals are due to the gap US youth players have between their residency and when they are capable of moving to Europe (due to child labor laws). If you aren't going to be in MLS.......then you've got to get your training somewhere.

I admittedly don't know the whole deal with child labor laws. It seems like clubs always find a way.

14. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas

I hate to say this but this just feels like just half the story here.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money. The have loads of money to buy, sell, and produce some good players. For the foreseeable future they will be in the Bundesliga, probably in the top 8, baring a total collapse.

It may have been a little far fetched to say Hoffenheim has a world renowned academy but the club because of it's money has, from what I've read, have invested heavily and have made the resources (coaching, school, and facilities) to become successful. It think it's a matter of time.

I think this is a positive move for both Gyau and Renken. Hoffenheim are progressive and showing signs of all up and coming club and the boys (hopefully) will be part of that rise. Vedad Ibišević, a honorary YA, assuming he isn't sold, can help them settle and learn how to handle the bumps in road since Vedad's certainly had a winding road. The agreement with Vancouver is going to help them as well. From what I know Vancouver has a wonderful academy that is/has developed some talent. It rivals Bradenton but Bradenton has a slight advantage historically. But Vancouver is a little more receptive to players leaving to play professionally. But that's the difference between a club academy and national academy.

16. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007

Our US coaching setup/staff is garbage.

17. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004

Hmmm....don't know what to think about the move.

Would've loved to have seen Renken go to Ajax....oh well time will tell I guess but for now I'm underwhelmed.

18. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Great news. Now we need Jerome and McInerney in European set-ups and we are set.

19. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas

These are the two rumored issues Gyau and Renken with Bradenton.

Gyau had a falling out with Wilmer and left Bradenton

Renken, some thought he was rushed back from injury and was hurt in a meaningless game.

It doesn't say but it looks like the door maybe closed for the U17 WC. I would think you would commit after the WC to showcase your talent. If that option is closed, you move on.

Too much drama in this cycle

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

he played for the US

21. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After the latest story I saw catching up with the 2003 U17 WC team it might not be such a bad idea that they arent in the squad :D i think only about 4 guys from that years team made it...

good news tho for these kids development

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Yeah, both were question marks for the U17 WC in the first place. Actually, if Renken isn't fit.........that's how Gyau's gonna get the call.

I don't know what to believe about the Gyau situation (I don't necessarily believe all of the message board crap). But if Wilmer didn't think he fit into his squad......then so be it. I don't want these coaching staffs (U17, U20) making decisions on player selection based on a guy's national team status.

23. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas

is it? whitecap residency?

24. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

I figured that story would be a bit depressing for some US fans. Looking through some of the names there, not too many of them ended up making it as professional players. Actually, a startling number of them didn't make it, and those are supposed to be the 'best' of that age group and forming a team.

Hopefully it works out for those two. One thing that surprised me, however, as that not one Spanish club or Dutch club was named. I would've imagined them going someplace like Amsterdam, etc.

25. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

:D

Don't worry about that !

Can somebody give me and German people informations about the players ? Position, strengths...and so on !

I remember that Hoffenheim was also after another American youngster...I don't know his name.