GWU Poll has DCU as favorite D.C. Team

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Colonial717, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Not to read to much into it, but a George Washington University online poll with the question "What is your favorite Washington DC sports team?" has United first. United has 26%, Skins have 24%, stupid fing Nationals have 21%, Wizards have 16% and the Caps have 11%. There are many reasons for this, due to GW's international flavor, national US appeal, i.e. not going to say the Skins cause they like thier own home team. But they are still rather interesting results.

2. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Sounds like a pretty crappy survey if you ask me, if you end up with a team that has yet to play a game getting 21% of the vote.

I expect no less from GW. :cool:

3. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Cheap tickets probably help-- I would bet this is the only game in town (until the Nationals get going) that students can go to on a regular basis. I go to school in Philly and I can afford maybe one 76ers game per year and I'm in the last row of the Wachovia Center. There's a minor league hockey team and a MISL team, but the big stuff is pretty well out of reach unless you know someone with Eagles tickets. So this surprises me only marginally.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    http://my.gwu.edu/

Poll

Tue, Dec 21, 2004:
    What is your favorite Washington DC sports team?
    D.C. United (26%)
    Washington Capitals (12%)
    Washington Mystics (2%)
    Washington Nationals (21%)
    Washington Redskins (24%)
    Washington Wizards (16%)

457 votes.

5. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I'll take it. It doesn't hurt to have college students come to the games even if its just because of the cost. Hopefully they'll come again later.

6. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    So many stick around after graduation, that it would be a good way of increasing the fan base.

7. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, ha, and I might be going to law school there next year, so add one more vote.

8. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Oh, I totally agree. I think that, with all due respect to MLS, until every team is in a SSS with a cantilevered roof, really the closest thing we have in this country to European soccer in terms of atmosphere is college sports, especially college basketball. I'll take as much of that passion and energy at RFK as I can get.

9. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just think it's cool that United is the only team in DC to use "DC" instead of "Washington."

10. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    kinda on kidna off subject but i went to potomac mills today and i saw a bunch of ********ers with Nationals stuff on.

11. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    You're gonna need to get used to that or you (or any of us) will become very bitter and angry for a long time.

12. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    I still think they should have gone with "the Orioles" as a team name.

13. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I saw some of those shirts in Target and had a great urge to destroy them in some way.

14. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    dcu is my favorite soccer team...that should be enough....i love the skins, the caps the wizards and the O's (although i may not love the O's that much anymore with the nats in town ...and yes i will call them nats, just like i call the USMNT "la seleccion" ;) )......all that matters is that we get DCU as THE FAVORITE SOCCER TEAM for all soccer fans around the area....and to tell you the truth, our team and our fans are making it an easy argument for someone who likes soccer to call DCU their own team....about the ticket argument, it's true DCU has an advantage over teams like the skins and the caps although the wiz have a great college deal on wednesdays and baseball always has inexpensive tix available....anyways i'm just saying that i began really following soccer in 94 and looked at teams like ajax and ac milan in awe...but they weren't my teams, i've never been in ajax or milan, but i've been to RFK multiple times and from March - September DCU has been my favorite team until the skins start playing except for this year when DCU had their title run!!!

the main point is that i don't see DCU moving or folding in the next ten years and that type of security in the existence of something I support makes me root even harder

15. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is the longest sentence I have ever seen.

16. CowbellFever

CowbellFever New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    DC
    Colonial,

Are you a current GW student?

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They weren't teaching Faulkner at your school? :D

18. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Yeah, I am a grad student at the Elliott School. Did my name give it away? :D

19. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I point you to William Faulkner's As I lay Dying. Lots longer ones in there.

Then there's the one-sentence novel Dancing Lessons for the Advanced in Age by Czech author Buhumil Hrabal.

Maybe you ought to get out more. ;)

20. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Long and incoherent in some spots. Yikes...

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I Lay Dying is a piece of cake next to Absolam, Absolam. That Quentin sure did like to go on.

22. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Well it was fun while it lasted. We are now losing by five votes to the Skins. Oh Well.

Tue, Dec 21, 2004:
    What is your favorite Washington DC sports team?
    D.C. United (25%)
    151 votes - 25%
    Washington Capitals (11%)
    64 votes - 11%
    Washington Mystics (3%)
    19 votes - 3%
    Washington Nationals (20%)
    119 votes - 20%
    Washington Redskins (26%)
    156 votes - 26%
    Washington Wizards (16%)
    94 votes - 16%