PBP: Guzan,Lichaj,Cameron: Aston Villa v Stoke 12/8 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by McGarnagle, Dec 8, 2012.

1. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All three start, Lichaj and Cameron are both at LB. Edu is not in the 18.

bungadiri repped this.
  2. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lichaj is actually playing wingback in a 3-5-2, so he is in a pretty attacking role for him.

3. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lichaj with a cutback to Benteke right in front of goal, and a Stoke defender is able to clear it before it gets there. Still 0-0 in the 36'. Guzan has barely had anything to do.

4. SoccerBiz

SoccerBiz Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard a thing about Edu since his move to Stoke. Is he just not good enough to play there? Why don't they loan him out?

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the half, Lichaj has looked pretty good. He's gotten lots of touches on both sides of the ball and made some contributions. Cameron was mentioned only rarely and I didn't see him do much (although it's hard to tell who is doing what with standard definition).

6. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halftime report:

This is my first look at Lichaj this season. He's on the left side and making constant overlapping runs, although they aren't always seen by his teammates. He nicely got behind the Stoke defense at one point and played in a short low cross at the 6 yard box, which was just behind his teammate. Overall, I'd say he looks like he belongs and not out of place out there, from which I've heard is an improvement on earlier the season.

Cameron has looked comfortable and skilled on the ball, although a step late in one or two challenges. At one point, he turned a Villa midfielder and then was fouled, and I thought to myself "Wow. We've never had a CB with that sort of skill. Ever." Obviously he's not technically playing CB here, but honestly I think with the way Stoke plays its back four, its essentially four CBs. The outside backs don't get forward at all- they all hold the line. This makes me feel better about him playing "out of position," at least in regard to the national team.

Guzan has had absolutely nothing to do. The commentators, however, started complimenting him out of the blue for some of his recent performances. Its clear he is earning a reputation of sorts.

The game has been rather boring, I can't remember either GK making a save. It has been (perhaps predictably) a physical battle, lots of disagreements between the players. I'm hoping for an Aston Villa win, to put them safely out of the drop zone. I don't think Stoke are in much danger to go down this year.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, he's not. They have a whole team of players that do what Edu is good at, only they are better at what Edu is bad at.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Since Pulis plays a 5 - 4 - 1 (not strictly speaking, but there are almost always 5 or 6 players defending) , it makes sense to put only 3 in defense. Jones could play for 100 years and never beat a player with skill.

Pulis will probably put in 2 attacking players with 15-20min to go and then the game begins.

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lichaj getting some stick from the commentator. Aston Villa turned the ball over i nthe final third, and Lichaj showed impressive speed in recovering, but then he completely bowled over the Stoke midfielder around midfield. It may have been retributino for an uncalled Stoke foul on Villa player. He didn't get a card though.

Cameron earlier was involved in a Villa penalty shout, although truly there was nothing there. Abongholar just couldn't keep his balance as Geoff and another Stoke player applied pressure in the Stoke box.

11. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chippy game. I'm surprised Lichaj was not carded for exacting a little bit of retribution for a rough foul on one of his teammates.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guzan has his first moment of the game. He came out strong to grab a cross against Kenywen Jones and was fouled by Jones. Commentators are complimentary toward Guzan for coming out strong on the cross. Game is getting testy, as Guzan did not appreciate the challenge.

56th min.

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron did well to block the best change of the second half.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lichaj doing pretty well in one on one defensive moments.

15. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guzan looks so solid these days. Nice punch by him.

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two changes for Villa, and Lichaj stays on the field! Good news. I've been impressed with Lichaj's speed and engine today. He's running his ass off up and down the left line.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He really dominates the Box. Perhaps better than Howard in this regard.

18. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks to me like Cameron is playing the right center back spot now. If he started at left back, he must have switched somewhere along the way.

19. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric's defense is looking good. He's not getting any balls on offense. Lots of runs down the line and he's pulling defenders over, but he's not getting the ball. Since he's always running off screen, it's hard to tell if he's just covered (and not doing enough to get open) or his teammates aren't looking for him.

And, as I write this, Eric gets a pass, gets double-teamed on the line. Loses the ball, wins it back and (too) quickly sends in a low cross that's to nobody but the Stoke defense.

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little Lichaj on Cameron action! Cameron came up the right side with a nice little bolt, and Lichaj came in strong with a slide tackle to put it out of bounds.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Really? Like whom? They have a lot of players that are good at what Edu is good at.

They have very few players that are better at what Edu is "bad at" which is why Charlie Adam is their "creative force" and they are mired in another dire goalless tie.

I give kudos to Stoke for doing what they have to do with what they went out and got, but I really don't think dropping Edu into this midfield changes things much at all. He might not loft the ball to Crouch with as much regularity as Crouch likes, but there is no one to pass to even if her were so inclined.

Edu would not bring enough to this team to change it in any real way, but he is also not out of place on that bench either. He was just a late pick-up in a position where Pulis is already deep. He also had a very poor 10 minutes against Arsenal the one time he got game, and that doesn't help you break the lineup. He will get a chance at some point and will need to do something with it. But Stoke/Pulis has to be happy with the results of late and Pulis will not change things up just to change them. Edu will need some acts of nature to get time.

22. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got a nice mental game going with the big Stoke forwards, too. Seems to be holding his own there.

23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    1 good left-footed cross by Lichaj, Stoke clear it.

15 seconds later, the 2nd left-footed cross is not so good and ruins the extended chance for Villa.

24. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lichaj's shot goes out for a throw and he's already walking away with a "who shot that?" look on his face before it reaches the touchline.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lichaj just got lots of compliments for a slide tackle in the box. "Perfectly right," says the commentator.