Guys and Girls Playing Together ?

Discussion in 'Player' started by theonekaos, Jun 2, 2008.

1. theonekaos

theonekaos New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Houston,Tx
    What are your feelings about the men that play Co-ed soccer?

What about your feelings towards the women that play with the men?

2. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no "feelings" for either one. Coed soccer can be very enjoyable and competitive. It also provides a way for a husband and wife to also enjoy the game together, and sometimes father/mother & son/daughter. Some of the men I play with played scholarship D1. Some of the women I play with are all-american D1. Some I see are playing for the first time. Just like any other league, it's what you make of it. If properly setup, the league can thrive and everyone can have a good time.

3. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
    i have very (and i do mean VERY) bad luck with women, and someone suggested it to me. i would like to do it one day, except that my school doesn't have it. and the closest is about an hour away. :(

4. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the UK you can play mixed football up until the age of 11 i think and then you have to join a girls team.

appleCORR

5. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's a competitive game, then no way. I don't want to tackle a girl in a game because I'll look like an ass, but if I don't then everyone thinks you suck. So no co-ed games.lol

6. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why don't you wanna tackle a girl?

appleCORR

7. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um going into a sliding tackle and hurting a girl isn't really something I'm into.:cool:

8. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    This is what I hate about coed games. I know i'm playing at my own risk so if your going to tackle me then tackle me. Don't go into it half assed because i'm a girl and you think you may hurt me. Tackles are part of the game.

9. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005

And hurting a guy is? Co-ed leagues often ban slide tackling.

10. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    it doesn't exist here (netherlands)
    soccer is a men sport here, but there are girl leagues. But they have another way to use their body, so it looks funny.

11. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I once played against a team from some farmer village that had one girl in their team. she was hot. everybody of our team wanted to play rightwing all of a sudden. not good for the team spirit.

12. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm also a girl. I play with guys never in a competitive game. But its funny because they always start off, ohh she's a girl and go easy and then when they see what i can do with a ball they are soon sliding at me from behind. The thing is they have to catch me first!

I can deal with slide tackles. Its when they just shove me off the ball its unfair because obviously, they are stronger than i am. I can keep up with sprinting etc with guys, but thats one thing that really annoyes me.

To be honest, some guys can be complete idiots because they don't like their pride being hurt and sometimes cant face a girl being a threat to them or being better than them. Thats when they start to play dirty.

appleCORR

13. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our coed league doesn't allow for men to "challenge" women in anyway. Women can challenge men, but only women can challenege women. Slide tackling is allowed.

14. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Bad experience for me at age of 16.

Tackled a 5'2 girl. The rest was pretty embarrasing.

15. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing most girls don't want to admit is that good male athletes are much faster and stronger than they are. If I tackle you at 6'3" 205 lbs hard, I'm going to hurt you. It's just a simple matter of physics unless you have something like Congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis, but even then it's damaging.

I have played in coed leagues and you just simply take the ball away without physical contact. It's really not that big of a deal but you surely can't go all in.

16. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I see where your coming from. I know the guys are stronger than me but I may have a slight advantage in the speed department. Most of the guys are older like 30-40 so even though I am a girl I think maybe a 19 year old may be a little bit faster than someone older. At least I hope so.

Height though may be a problem at 5'3 i'm pretty short but then again Aaron Lennon only 5'5

17. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the speed at which he's playing

http://www.exploratorium.edu/hockey/checking2.html

18. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  19. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Define "tackle" because you don't mean the same thing that I do. Unlike American football in soccer you tackle the ball, not a player. Do you know the definition of reckless tackle? A tackle that is sure to hurt another player is misconduct. Someone 5'2" is not going to play strength against your strength regardless of their gender. If all a player has going for himself is physical size and strength what they can do on a field is very limited. Yes a larger stronger player has an advantage over a slower shorter player IF all else is the same. Ever seen a 6'3" player try to shoulder charge a 5'2" player? Ever wonder why many defensive midfielders are relatively short?Sometimes being larger is a disadvantage. There are many other things more important than physical size in soccer. That is why its such a great game.

20. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A tackle is removing the ball from your opponent. If I got into a girl at 5'2" I'm going to have an advantage and the likelihood of her getting knocked down (within the rules) is much higher than if it was a guy.

Also, please don't just quote a line that ignores the main point of my argument. It's rude. My point was that physically an athletic guy will have a massive advantage over a woman. I clearly point out the speed aspect as well but you just removed it so you could attempt to get your attack in. Don't talk to me as if I haven't played the game for over 20 years (and at a high level).

21. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three of the girls I played with were first team All-American Division 1. Great players. Many of the others played D1, some D2. they were heads-and-tails better than many of the men. Some of them expressed the same points of view as AppleCorr7 did. We play with 5 men and 5 women on the field. We used to allow for a woman to play as a "man" if you were down men. That went away because the women were getting hurt. On our team and other teams. Our players changed their opinion after a couple of times going up against someone who outweighs them by 40+ lbs. They believed they could handle it, and in truth they could handle many aspects of it. Sorry, I just don't see the sense in it. You're just tempting fate and eventually an injury will occur that wouldn't have happened if the man/woman challenge wasn't allowed. Like I said, in our league a man can't challenge a girl when she has possession. He can cover her if she doesn't have it and go for a 50/50 ball against a girl but not challenging her once she has possession. only another woman can challenge at that point. It also brings in some more strategical points to the game with this rule.

22. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Re point 1. I have no idea what you meant by "got into" [an opponent] "within the rules." Gender really has nothing to do with the likelyhood of someone 5'2'' being knocked down by someone 6'3" tall. I am aware of no medical evidence indicating that a 5'2" women is more succeptable to injury than a 5'2" man because of her gender.

Re point 2. I wonder why you compare "an athletic guy" to "a woman." Maybe you are making some unstated assumptions. I agree that being physically stronger and taller is some advantage but my point was that those physical advantages by themselves don't mean much in soccer where many other things are more important.

Re point 3. The speed aspect you mentioned was a comparison to checking in ice hockey, which I considered too obviously flawed to comment on. While hockey allows intentional collisions, soccer does not. Last time I looked the Laws of Physics did not include a gender variable. You do realize that dangerous play by definition applies only when there is NO actual contact? Even incidental contact with a player while tackling is defined as a foul if the player tackles without regard to the safety of the opponent (i.e., careless).

In my mind the difference between genders resides primarily in the degree to which the genders are willing to put up with careless or worse play by other players on the field. Average physical height and speed differs between genders, but it also varies along ethnic, national origin and racial lines as well. When teams from Brazil and Argentina no longer dominate men's soccer only then I will start becoming concerned about the physical differences between demographic groups of players.

Re: ctsoccer13's post, it is consistent with my experience playing in open and coed leagues. Generally the women players willing to take the field with men are the better skilled and experienced players. But they are less tolerate of careless fouls than younger men. My experince has been that most young men do not believe in their own mortality and thus take greater risks. As men age avoiding injury becomes a higher priority and they are less willing to risk injury to themselves or others.

23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was living in San Francisco.. used to run down to Golden Gate Park and there were pickup games going on that were co-ed. The majority were men but they girls that played usuallly played for some of the local university teams and were surprisingly very good and competitive... for girls that is! :p

Just kidding! Obviously living in Abu Dhabi, not too many mixed games here but all and all, my co-ed experiences were positive.

24. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you serious? First google link: http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/2700/2769.asp?index=10270

Yep, you're right. It's not like soccer players are being picked more based on their strength and speed. /sarcasm. All sports have realized that things being equal (or even in the neighborhood) speed will win. Young athletes are often chosen based on speed/size in the belief that touch can be taught. If those physical advantages don't mean much in soccer why do the top programs focus on drills increasing speed and weightlifting?

Also, the reason I said athletic guy is so that people wouldn't throw out anecdotal evidence of some uncoordinated guy being dominated by a woman.

No, my original post was written talking about speed of soccer players. The link about the hockey thing was merely to remind the other poster of force being the result of velocity times mass. That principal remains no matter what type of collision. The laws of physics have all kinds of variables applicable to different gender considering force generated, strength of tissue or stretching of tissue.

Collisions don't even have to incur to create situational injuries. Suppose that a male player made a move at a very quick speed and the female player reacted to that speed by moving her body while her foot lagged behind. As we've seen, females players are more likely to tear their ACL on these type of movements so the speed of the male player could be said to have indirectly caused it.

I have no idea what you mean about the Brazil/Argentina stuff but the variation of physical characteristics are statistically significantly smaller than the male/female difference. The Brazil/Argentina domination occurs due to the numbers of athletes along with their socialization.

I would agree with this paragraph.

25. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    I play 7 V 7 adult co-ed on a smaller field. It's great fun and the only difference in rules for girls and guys is the girl goals count for 2. There is no slide tackling allowed for anyone which is good because we play on field turf. It would suck not to be able to challenge the girls for the ball when they have possession. Many of the women that play in the league are very good. The refs might be a little more likely to whistle a foul if it's a male and female than if it was two guys or two girls. but it's a very slight difference.

You have to have at least 3 girls playing all the time. One of them can be goal keeper if you want and if you want to play with more girls you can.

I haven't seen any issues with the rules as they are. The games are fun. The girls get stuck in. The difference in how refs make calls for the women and how the guys defend them is very slight to non-existent. I've seen more of the men getting hurt then the women.