Gut resigns while Tony goes to NY

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RightCorner, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, I was never on the Bo bandwagon.

I was neutral as to who should have started in the final, but the more i look over it, the more I think it should have been Tony.

And I'll give you a hint why: It's not necessarily his pure goalkeeping skill.

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I remember '96 Bo very well, and Merlin's right. He was thought of as a guy with a lot of potential. He had a bad habit of 'making the easy saves look hard' by overrelying on athleticism. Now he's much more a positioning guy. You could do worse.

I'd think of Bo as a candidate for 'cap starter.' A solid guy, you could probably find someone better, but not without taking a cap hit.

3. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's either Bo as GK and keep Zotinca or Meola at GK without Zotinca. Which would you rather have? Because if Real (excuse me, ReAL) takes Meola in the first round, we're protecting Zotinca or possibly Igor. However, if those clint Mathis to ReAl rumors come true, we can maybe get out of the expansion draft losing only Meola and Gomez. Who here wouldn't take that?

4. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allow me to quote something Tony said to me and Andy Mead (and someone else) early this summer:

"If you would have told me six years ago that I'd be living in Kansas and want to raise my family here, I would have told you, 'you're **********ing joking'." He's serious about wanting to stay. Don't know that it's going to happen.

5. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    If Tony is NOT back with the WIZ next season.... does that mean the WIZ are entitled to an "allocation" player?

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I think he's usually at the "all you can eat" pizza place.

7. hartley

hartley Member

If Tony goes, then keep Bo and Hesmer and bring in some competition.

I would love to see us go after Greg Sutton of Montreal in the USL First Division. He's Canadian, 6 foot 6 inches. Last season, in helping the Impact to the A-League Championship, he had 16 shutouts in 25 games and a GAA of 0.535.

Take a look at his page at the Impact's web site.

http://www.montrealimpact.com/players_detail.asp?joueur_id=29

Thoughts?

8. Would a Moderator please insert the appropriate hyphen in the thread's title. I would hate to continue to have people "freak out".

As for the accuracy of the info on Tony leaving, believe it! And for all those who have posted that he liked it here, you are correct. And his wife and kids loved it here. The stumbling block is that KC was not going to offer him a contract. Since MetroStars have worked the deal, they exposed both of their GK's.

9. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Gansler said of the decision to let Meola himself go to NY while re-signing Meola's Gut, "That Gut is a hell of a shot-stopper. Not too good with his feet, though. We're working on it."

10. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Greg Sutton when he's playing for Chicago.

11. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since he's moving within the league, we'll get whatever we trade for him.

12. dig.palabra

dig.palabra New Member

Mar 5, 2000
    KCMO
    There are a lot of plus-sides to keeping Meola that Bo can't compensate for. -I think Bo can do the job, but Meola is definitely better.

-But that being said, we had a lot of breakout players this year who are going to expect higher salaries going forward, and we will have to clear cap-room somewhere. -I hate to see Meola go, and I don't think Bo is as good of a replacement, but if we can use that cap-room to hold onto everyone else, so be it.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't know how accurate Tony to Metros is - but it fits with a deal that -had- been worked out.

Walker from Metros to Chivas
    Allocation from Chivas to Chicago
    Ring and somebody from Chicago to Metros

The fact that Walker is left unprotected - allowing Chivas to get him for free - means that the Metros have found a deal more to their liking. Meola makes sense.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Another thing to consider is Tim Mulqueen. Mulqueen came with Meola from MetroStars. If Meola goes, it's quite possible that Mulqueen moves, too.

15. A_Bomb

A_Bomb New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    I for one have never been a huge Tony Meola fan, but he has done a lot for the Wizards during his time in Kansas City. He was a major reason we won it all in 2000, and a major reason that we were winning this year when he was healthy.

I think this is just the shot that Bo needs to become one of the better goalkeepers in the league. He played very well when he was in there this year, and hopefully will be able to build on that next year. If we are able to continue to play solid defense next year with guys like Conrad, Garcia, and Shavar Thomas, we should be just fine.

16. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not want to see Tony leave. I know the argument that we need cap room. I understand it. But it is not the argument that wins me over.

Tony has given his all to this organization, not only as a player but as an ambassador to the community. Name another player that has raised awareness of the Wizards in Kansas City to the level that Tony has.

Furthermore Tony has adopted KC. I truly believe him when he says this is where he wants to raise his family. I'd hate for KC to reject him when he has embraced us.

For the record, I believed, and still do, that starting Bo in the Cup was the correct choice. There is nothing inconsistent in holding that position and wanting to see Tony start in goal for the Wizards on Opening Day 2005.

I told Tony at the post game party at the hotel that I hoped he wouldn't leave. If he does I wish him luck wherever he goes.

If he goes, he gets the same respect, applause, and well wishes that we give to Chris Henderson whenever he comes back to Arrowhead. Tony deserves that and more.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I am AndyMead, and I support this message.

18. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    What comments?

19. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Very well said Kevin.

This organization owes it to Tony to try and keep him here. And let's hope they do that.

That being said, I still stand by my opinion that we would do just fine with Bo and Will next season... But they would never be able to replace Tony.

20. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit

We should break out a chant like the Chopper/Dynamo one:

"You'll allllways beeeee a Wizard!"

21. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    It couldn't be the simple fact that you wear his game jersey... could it?
    :D :D

I for one, can't forget the Pre-Wiz Tony Meola. The true poster boy for verbal abuse and profanity. As for community awareness... rumor doesn't paint the best of pictures in that catagory either.

Tony ain't no Chris Henderson, BTW.

22. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By that reasoning I should be lobbying for Hendo treatment of Gomez which I am not. :p

I can understand your opinion Wade. Let me counter by saying I remember Tony as one of the most memorable players from the USA 1994 World Cup team. Furthermore, everytime I've encountered Tony at the game or off the field he has been professional and a genuinely nice human being. Sure he can be loud during games, but he was wearing the captain's armband and was supposed to be organizing his defense and lobbying the ref.

I'm sure you can bring up instances of verbal abuse and profanity. I can bring up instances of professionalism and good will. Remember when he deflected a shot over the goal and it struck a young boy sitting a few rows back of the goal? Tony made sure the boy was alright and made sure he got Tony's gloves as a souveneir.

I do not know what rumors you are referring to. I do know that Tony has done KC Kicks on Metrosports, had his own radio show with Sean Wheelock, has done several spots on Kietzman's radio shows, has appeared in the annual charity Turkey Bowl, in addition to numerous public appearances. I know of no other Wizards player who has increased awareness of the team to the level Tony has.

True. Tony has had a bigger impact in Kansas City than Chris Henderson. If there is to be a Wizards Hall of Fame / Ring of Honor the players that are automatic shoe-ins for that honor are Preki, Mo Johnston, and Tony Meola.

23. soccerme

soccerme New Member

Jul 5, 2001
    All players clean out their lockers, have exit interviews with coaches and physicals. KC potentially could loose a starting defensive line that has proven itself over the last four years. Coach Gansler, should be reacting to someone as to why so many KC players are unsigned for 2005. And it is not just the defense. NO offense to Gut, but what makes him more valuable than Zavgnin, Meola, Garcia,Burciaga and all the others who are sitting without contracts. Shamefully players do not even have offers from the leagues or at least that is what the front office, agents and coaches are saying. Someone needs to take RESPONSIBILITY and do the right thing. KEEP the players that KC needs for the 2005 year. SHAMEFUL... Somebody needs to be raising hell over this...or maybe it is the single entity league at it's best in punishing a team that has done better than the powers to be wanted them to be and now must take them down. It is a business... but when the little boy takes all the marbles and goes home who is left to play.

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is in the kc star today: meola says wizards intend to trade him

some interesting quotes:

After recent talks with coach Bob Gansler and his staff, Meola said he was told he will be traded before year's end.
    "All I heard is that coach Gansler doesn't want me around,” Meola said. “I think that's a little bit unfortunate, but they said a whole bunch of things. Long story short, they want to trade me.”

Meola, who had a base salary of $250,000 according to Soccer America, said money isn't an issue.
    “They have more than enough resources to make everybody happy,” Meola said. “After thinking of how it all happened, this is a personal decision for coach Gansler for whatever reason.”
    Gansler denied that.
    “It's a business consideration,” Gansler said, “and it's a business consideration because that's what we're in.”
    General manager Curt Johnson said a couple of factors were involved: salary and the performance of backup goalkeeper Bo Oshoniyi, who had a strong season. Oshoniyi played well when Meola missed time because of an Achilles' tendon injury in August.

an important part here:

Acquired in a trade with the MetroStars in January 1999, Meola said even if he ends up back East, his family won't leave Kansas City.
    “Wherever I am, we're going to commute,” Meola said. “I'm sad for the fans, and my teammates who have called me are pretty surprised by the whole thing.