Gustavo Cabrera

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Poqui Moqui, Apr 24, 2006.

1. I find it interesting that we are losing on some very obvious defensive breakdowns and Ellinger choses to bench one of our best defenders: Gustavo Cabrera. Has anyone heard of Gustavo lately? He started all of our pre-season games and did extremely well but has since disappeared. He is an international star with incredible work ethics. Any comments?

2. RSLKamasBranch

Nov 2, 2005
    He is not an international star. He plays for the Guatemalan national team, which makes him a good player, but not necessarily an automatic starter in MLS. I think there are plenty of people on this board who want to see him play, and plenty of people who think it wouldn't hurt to give him a shot at this point, but it seems the coaching staff, for whatever reason, disagrees. He's having a hard time just making the 18 man bench, and now with only three backs playing I don't see him being more likely to play.

But I'd guess he's going to have to get a shot soon. Come the WC we'll be missing Pope and between injuries, suspensions, and poor results, we'll see Cabrerra in the starting XI sometime in the next couple of months. If he does well, there will be plenty of people (not me) saying "I told you so."

3. niltol_21

niltol_21 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Not a Star just because Guatemala isn't a good team doesn't mean the kid isn't a star who else on this sorry team has a track record like him other than Pope ? Come on man.......... Ever since he was taken out of the lineup they 've lost. in the preseason he won in every game they played. You must be one of the people that thinks Talley was a good pick up . Come on dude no more excuses Ellinger must go.

4. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Would Cabrera's situation be improved if he spoke fluent English? This has been suggested. I honestly don't know the answer to this.

5. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

It certainly wouldn't hurt.......

6. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ellinger's jealous of the hair. :D

7. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gustavo will be playing as soon as Soehn is brought in to replace Ellinger. I think coach E has 4 more weeks.

8. RSLKamasBranch

Nov 2, 2005
    Oh so you mean when Cabrerra started for RSL they beat a college team during preseason? That must make him quite the international star.

Just to correct a few of your assumptions: I would have fired Ellinger last year. I pointed out right after the trade the limited role Talley had with an average FC Dallas defense last year. So you're 0 for 2 about me.

You can be a star playing for Guatemala, just look at Carlos Ruiz. But he's done that based on his performances in a quality league, MLS. When Cabrerra played last year, he made mistakes that led to goals. Many people on the boards feel he played well, and would have given him a shot to start the year, but he has not gotten that shot yet.

Go back and read my post again. All I did was give you a summation of the discussion regarding Cabrerra. The only thing I left out was that some feel he might not be playing because he doesn't speak English and Ellinger is stressing communication among his defenders, which RSL FM filled in in for me. The only opinion I presented that was my own was that Cabrerra was not an international star and that playing for Guatemala did not make you an MLS starter. Until you play well in a WC or a quality domestic league, you aren't an international star. Since he won't be getting that chance in the WC for at least four years, he'll have to prove himself in MLS. He hasn't done that yet. When he gets his shot he may peroform well and come closer to what you call him, but that has not happened.

If you want to find my opinion, read back in further posts. I said I didn't think Cabrerra played very well during his time last year, but that I'd certainly give him a shot this year since we're a few games in and have picked up a grand total of one point.

9. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know if I can survive 4 more losses.......

10. Fuerza Real

Fuerza Real New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Lion in Zion
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The reason we have lost twice now and given up equalizers is because of defensive breakdowns. Defense. We're actually putting some balls in the net, but our defense can't hold. Does Ellinger tool with the defense? No, he's too busy letting Kries and Williams try their hands at goalie and shortstop, or whatever the hell he's doing with them.

*Ellinger can't mess with his defense and give a kid that plays great a chance, that'd be too f'king smart!

11. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I wish that we could get more than one per game!

(oh Kreis, what did you do to the soccer Gods on Saturday?!)

12. niltol_21

niltol_21 New Member

Jun 21, 2005

13. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe ellinger should stop using this as his guide:
    [​IMG]
    :D

14. RSLKamasBranch

Nov 2, 2005

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cabrera might not be Roberto Carlos, but if we are going to use a coveted SI on him, then use the guy already! I mean we have one of the weakest backlines in MLS and Cabrera doesn't have 1 minute of play time yet.

Weak.