Gus St. Silva(R)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beerking, Sep 8, 2002.

1. modpappy

modpappy New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Re: Landon's not getting the love from refs

I was probably sitting near you, I was in 107 and I saw it differently---I saw Landon touch it a little too far and then get taken down, so I think the ref was going with the "within playing reach" of the ball kinda thing--but yes it did look bad...I didn't see any embellishment or "diving" on that play though---the ref seemed to be saying to Landon to "get up, stop whining" a few seconds after the non-call...now as for that professional foul, I'm still confused, I saw the ref signal a goal-kick right after then I heard the announcement of a yellow card, was the yellow for the takedown? Becuase there's only two calls possibel there--straight red or nothing! I didn't catch who got the yellow, was it the same defender who took Landon down?

2. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Gus St. Silva(R)

Even more strange then that the Crew got a free kick. No, I'm pretty sure the call was a hand ball against Corrales. Ramiro was absolutely livid at the call, and rightly so.

By the way, at the Shake With the Quakes session, Yallop also mentioned that the ref's explanation for not issuing at red card on Landon's breakaway was that he wasn't "in a goal-scoring position." What!? He's running in on goal with only the keeper to beat! This is truly baffling, and Yallop thought the Quakes definitely should have played almost the entire second half up a man. Again, the correct call would have completely changed the game.

MLS, please review, and don't be afraid to dish out the Noel Kenney treatment.

3. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Re: Re: Landon's not getting the love from refs

Yes, unfortunately it was. But according to the post above, the ref didn't think it was a goal scoring opportunity!!!

4. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of the comment on St. Silva not playing advantage... he did play advantage of the foul to Graz by McCarty that got him sent off. So, he got that one correct at least.

In terms of the first take down of Landon by the goalie..... if what spared the goalie was the Landon's flick being too far ahead for him to then reach it, then St. Silva underestimates Landon's speed and quickness as much as defenders do.... bad call.

In terms of the second take down of Landon, that's a mandatory straight red. No possible way St. Silva can dodge that being a blown call... no excuses available.

In terms of the "handball" of Corralles, that was basically called by Columbus. The ref bought their pleas and made the call. Going by what the team wants called after the last defender's been beaten... a great style of officiating.

One thing St. Silva does pretty well is stay with the run of play.... but that's about it for things he did well in that game.

-KMJvet

5. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people on these boards seem to think that MLS has an exclusive on bad Refs. Those articles are an indication that unfortunately bad refs exist in every country at every level. Maybe FIFA needs to take a long hard look at what can be done to improve the situation world wide.

7. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    The solution is of course to make them full-time professionals so they can devote the time to training needed to improve, and to prepare properly for each game.

8. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It's being done in England.

How many refs do you think MLS would need to hire? At most, we've got five games on a weekend, so that's not adding a lot of headcount to the MLS operations. Plus, the league could hire out their refs to work other matches (WUSA, A-League, U.S. Open Cup, etc.) and recoup a bit of their costs.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he did a great job in the US-Portugal match, but possibly, the Portuguese didn't think so. Maybe he got back home to Ecuador and started smoking the locally grown that he couldn't get in Korea.....;)

10. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And it took a hundred and odd years to get there..and as you said in your previous post, refs around the world are also bad...I would put the MLS somewhere in the middle...but that doesn't solve our frustration...

The solution, is more training, assessment and fitness...professional refs are the best because it is a career and a lot of balls ups lead to losing a job....its a difficult job, but it needs to be done well, and I think if we saw an honest attempt to play the game evenly, consitently so everyone knows where they stand I for one will be a lot happier.

-Richard

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, was that a well Gus-St.-Silva-officiated game (Metros-United) or what? Almost 50 fouls committed, players hacking and chopping, constant dissension with the referee, Ty-Jack telling us what a great job St. Silva is doing controlling the game. Whew!!

12. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    NOW I know what ya'll meant. He is not a good ref at all.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was actually worse than the Quakes-Columbus game. The match had descended into a donnybrook.

14. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roc (from YCJ)

[​IMG]

15. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    GSS: Wha?! You a talkin boutta me?

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gus St. Silva f-in sucks!!!! I really hope MLS was watching that game.

That said, there was alot riding on that game. And it was DC United (who reminds me so much of Hudson's last team) vs the Metros. Huge derby there. So I could see why the tempers were running high.

But the ref also caused alot of the temper in that game. While doing very little to control it. He just sucks!!!

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Gus St. Silva(R)

I had the exact same thought when I was watching it. The Fusion sans Serna and Bishop. Maybe this is what Ray does to teams.

18. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    It was like he was scared to card people. Good refs pass out cards when they're deserved, not the other way around...

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly the way I see it. Lay down the law and the discipline immediately so the players know what's what.