"guru" says Hispanics will flock to see Chivas of San Diego !

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by TIKY, Oct 7, 2003.

1. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: Re: "guru" says Hispanics will flock to see Chivas of San Diego !

How many green pastures do you see in the favelas of Brazil? I've been there, and given the lack of ANYTHING in the slums of Brazil, the kids still play soccer. Last I checked, they don't do too bad...

I've lived and worked in the inner-city for several years, and the Latino kids most definitely play footie. What it will take is the US developing a style of play that veers away from the English/Scottish-esque style and creolizes and blends a Latino style in order to incorporate the tremendous talent out there.

And hoops and football are a bit more vulnerable then ppl think: they are filled w/ absolute slime agents and coaches.

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I can't believe a fan of La Seleccion Mexicana would say ANYTHING about the quality of strikers.

FYI: we have 4 guys in MLS that are better than your top striker.

I'm quite familiar w/ La Liga, and there's a reason why the top four teams regular are ranked in the top 10 clubs in all of Europe: b/c #s 5-10 are in the top 30. How many Mexican clubs would rank in the top 30 in Europe? Maybe 2. In addition, La Liga isn't like EPL, where it's always the top 5 year in and year out. Spain is truly competitive, w/ only the bottom teams in over their head.

So, no, MFL is not the New Spain. You're confounding colonial history w/ footie. (Mexico was called Nueva Espanna in colonial times.)

3. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I was saying that Mexico as a whole is the new Spain, because like their former colonial overlords, their domestic league relys too much on foreign strikers, thus adversely effecting the quality of their national team. I believe VS was agreeeing with that point.

4. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    There's a big problem regarding MLS's growth, compared to the Liga Mexicana: Television.

Sure there's a lot more people and money in the United States, but how about the ratings and the money that television companies actually give to the teams.

As far as I know, in the US is the league that pays ABC and ESPN for them to broadcast their games.

In Mexico television even owns some teams, like America, Necaxa and Morelia. Why? Because is good business, and they pay the other teams great amounts of money to get their games on the screen.

And please don't get me started on the American market. If I only had basic cable, I'd be able only to see one MLS game a week. I could see 4 or even 5 Liga Mexicana games if I wanted.

And the situation with the national teams is not much better. They broadcast every Mexican national team game, friendly or official, live in the United States. That doesn't happen with the US team in its own country. I know that has nothing to do with the leagues, but tells you something about the state of the game in this country.

I have no idea how the MLS ratings are doing. Is there a significant growth since the league started? Numbers please.

Now please, don't take this the wrong way, I'm not even Mexican. I am sure that with time MLS will be bigger, I just don't think that with the television situation it has a shot against the MFL.

Now, if you'd offer Southamerican stars instant citizenship, things would be different. They'd probably go to MLS for free.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They're almost always shown Telemundo or Univision, which is free t.v.; it also tells us who are the big footie fans in this country.

6. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad Cuba isn't the Brazil of soccer.. We'd be set if that was the case! :)

7. Re: Re: Re: "guru" says Hispanics will flock to see Chivas of San Diego !

I won't support the MLS over the MFL even if they surpass Spain's La liga (which is not likely).

NEXT.

8. Names? Also, MFL top striker or MFL mexican top striker? Don't tell me Ruiz.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Great, we've identified that 10% of footie fans who, regardless of the caliber of play, would absolutely refuse to watch the beautiful game. So you aren't a fan of the game, but a patriot for your country. Big difference. Don't worry, you're expendable.

NEXT TRUE FAN.

10. Talking the guy who have Galaxy as his favorite team.

11. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Only the top goal scorer in MLS the year that Donovan et al spanked a few teams (I'm not going to mention Mexico's name) in the WC. And only the top goal scorer this year as well. He just got injured and will be out for the remainder of the year, unfortunately.

He'll be scoring many more goals in the years to come. Remember him...

14. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: Re: "guru" says Hispanics will flock to see Chivas of San Diego !

Originally posted by uclacarlos

Vuelvo a la misma vaina:

Colombiano ?

2-0. Who scored the goals? Where do they play?

You also beat Portugal so is it safe to say that the MLS is better than the Portuguese League ? Mexico did tie Italy does this mean the MFL is on par with Serie A. Oh wait Borgetti is of Italian descent so i guess it doesnt count..

And I know we're not supposed to get personal, but seriously, did you see the Spain-SK game?

I was hoping for La Furia Roja to win.. The Worldo Cup had become one of the worst ever and i didnt want anymore second tier teams advancing to the finals..

Did you happen to notice how many legitimate goals were called back? Did you happen to notice how many legit goals were called back against Italy?

:confused:

Did you happen to notice how many red cards were issued to SK opposition?

You should be thanking the Koreans :D

To assert that SK is the 4th best team in the world shows that you don't know footie. Spain and Italy got robbed.

No i dont think that SK is one of the 4th best teams in the World. Do you think the USMNT is one of the top 8 teams in the World ?

15. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

I can't believe a fan of La Seleccion Mexicana would say ANYTHING about the quality of strikers.

I am talking about Overall strikers Not American strikers. As for who has the best National team strikers i would say it is arguable. I dont see at the moment one team being that much better than the other in that department..

FYI: we have 4 guys in MLS that are better than your top striker.

Top Mexican or Top Mexican League Striker ?

How many Mexican clubs would rank in the top 30 in Europe?

Hard to tell since they dont play in Europe..

Maybe 2. In addition, La Liga isn't like EPL, where it's always the top 5 year in and year out. Spain is truly competitive, w/ only the bottom teams in over their head.

Osasuna fans critisized Aguirre when he brought the team down to Mexico for pre season. They didnt think the Level of play would prepare them for the upcomming season. Osasuna is currently 4th in La Liga. I doubt they will remain that high but i also dont see them struggling at the Relagation Zone this year..

So, no, MFL is not the New Spain. You're confounding colonial history w/ footie. (Mexico was called Nueva Espanna in colonial times.)

:confused:

16. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

You Sir are Correct :)

17. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

Let's see, where would Cuahtemoc land on this list? It wouldn't matter anyway, he'd just wine and flop around and pout.

Cuahtemoc besides having scored in back to back World Cups has had sucessfull participations in Copa America, Copa Confederaciones and Copa Libertadores. It is fair to say Temoc has proven himself in the Highest levels of play..

Now i must add that it is easier for Twellman to shine when his top competition for the MLS goalscoring title is a Guatemalan International where in the MFL he would have to compete against some of South Americas top Strikers. You should really take a look at CONMEBOL WCQ and see how many goals have been scored by players that are in MFL squads. Bolivias Botero who bagged a Hat Trick in La Paz against Colombia has yet to score a goal for UNAM !!! Did you see Chile vs Argentina (2-2) at Buenos Aires, That Navia doesnt he play at Morelia !? Wasnt Cesar "Chelito" Delgado voted MOTM in Argentinas win over Venezuela, Hot Dam and he plays at Cruz Azul !?!?

18. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You can find examples both ways. Didn't Jose Cardozo tear up the Mexican league for quite a while? At the international level, he's not very good.

Admittedly the same goes for MLS. Brian McBride has had a better strike rate both in his international appearances and in his brief EPL stint than in MLS, and we're not claiming that MLS is stronger than the EPL or top national teams. Meanwhile, Taylor Twellman and Jason Kreis have been poor when playing for the national team.

As for goalkeeping: it's easy enough to watch MFL matches in the US. I've never seen any other professional league with worse goalkeeping. Very often the positioning and game awareness of MFL keepers is absolutely atrocious, in a "he-wouldn't-get-away-with-it-anywhere-else" sense.

19. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: Re: "guru" says Hispanics will flock to see Chivas of San Diego !

Originally posted by Elninho

You can find examples both ways. Didn't Jose Cardozo tear up the Mexican league for quite a while? At the international level, he's not very good.

Cardozo is considered on of Paraguays Top players and has been a regular for their National team in the past Three WCQ campaigns. Unfortunatly for him Paraguay had been playing a defensive style at least for the past two WCQ. They even brought in Maldini for Japorea !!! Under the new coach things look diffrent as El Diablo Mayor (Cardozo) in his last match with Paraguay scored a Hat Trick. Thats not even mentioning his performace with Cruz Azul during Copa Libertadores where he helped the Cement Mixers reach the final. If you see the game the reff must of called at least 3 bogus off side calls on him..

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Quisqueya-Conquistador ;)
    A nation the size of tiny Portugal has a difficult fielding a top flight league that is strong from top to bottom. I actually think that MFL and MLS are better than the bottom half of Portuguese league. My main point is that US strikers have now proven themselves on the international scene. USMNT is no longer toothless (1990, '94, '98).

No, but I think FIFA's ratings, where we stand 9 and have been in the top 12 for the last couple of years, are fairly accurate. In fact, I really wasn't surprised by our showing last year. I was SHOCKED that internationally ppl were amazed that we beat out Saudi Arabia.

Look, I agree that MFL strikers are better. I was giving you a hard time b/c the US is stronger in goal and forwards than Mexico. The top teams in MFL are better than #3-10 in MLS, hands down. But the lower teams in MFL are a cut below MLS.

21. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How good a venue is Qualcomm Stadium for soccer?

Usually stadiums like Qualcomm that were designed with both baseball & football in mind end up being quite good for baseball viewing, but only mediocre for football/soccer viewing.

22. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    haha yeah right
    ask around in Mexico dude... the only retard who thinks its a good idea is Vergara himself.. having a new chivas team only makes your funny bunny league more laughable... honestly

23. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Bom. Marketing towards Hispanics (or in the case of Chivas USA, Mexicans or Mexican-Americans) is one thing. Bending over backwards for the Hispanic market (which assumes a lot because I've never seen Hispanic America as monolithic, pero bueno) is quite another.

I am certainly not in favor of any exception to the rules that limit foreigners under any circumstances, let alone to make a Chivas USA product attractive to a fickle and, well, less than loyal market.

But let's be honest. This team would target the Mexican/Mexican-American market. Central and South Americans wouldn't give a rat's ass about Chivitas. And assuming (just for argument's sake) that Vergara's Chivitas are granted an exception to the rules, the seeds of resentment will have been sown. The messages sent by the establishment and coddling of such a team would be many: MLS promotes not so much the coming together of peoples through football and the unique American experience but instead sports culture apartheid; the haughty Latin/Mexican presupposition of soccer superiority is such that they will only play amongst each other or choose to watch their own even if that means a de facto exclusion of assimilated Americans; even at the level of sports, Mexicans resist assimilation; it's fine for other ethnic groups to launch similar projects (Boston Hibernian, Rhode Island Lusitano, Connecticut Resented Descendants of Protestant Industrialists, etc.); MLS is so desperate that it will consider an expansion possibilty that, through its narrow mission, is divisive; and, along those lines, the assimilated (not "Anglo") market doesn't matter.

So the Guru can think all he wants that Mexicans will flock to Jack Murphy Stadium (can't name it after an Irish-American anymore, I guess). My marketing instincts tell me that a whole lot of people out there will be offended by the whole thing.

And that has nothing to do with how a good league the MFL is. (I rather enjoy the MFL but being a Northern European-American pragmatist I find much of the play overwrought and superfluous even though most of my footy mates consider me a Latin-style player).

24. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Based on games that I've seen on TV, the field layout is such that the playing surface ends up being narrow. They would have to roll up four more sections of removable seats to accomodate a wider pitch. As far as sightlines are concerned, I haven't a clue.

25. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Bull. I can't see any south american cheering for any central or north american (latino) team.

The leagues of Central and north america would be crap without the south americans.

From what I understand, the central american fans aren't too crazy about the mexs either.

I for one believe that one day, the Mexican league will be the most powerful league in the americas, beating out Argentina, chile, brazil, and columbia. They seem to be the only people running things the right way so far, and their soccer has improved drammatically in the past 10 years.