"guru" says Hispanics will flock to see Chivas of San Diego !

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by TIKY, Oct 7, 2003.

1. TIKY

TIKY New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    San Diego
    WTF?! Read this article on ussocceruk:
    http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/default.asp?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=948

This "guru" has apparently never heard of the LA Galaxy or Luis Hernandez or Hispanic Heritage Night or many of the other circus side shows that have attempted to drag Hispanics kicking and screaming to MLS matches.

Will this myth EVER be dispelled? Hispanics are by and large loyal to their native country's leagues and teams. Can they be coaxed into attending a couple games? Yes. But MLS has proven that it takes a lot of planning and hard work on a consitent basis just to get anyone, let alone Hispanics, to attend MLS games.

It seems presumptuous and almost racist to suggest that just because 3 million hispanics live in your town that they won't be smart enough to figure out that Chivas MLS is NOT Chivas de Guadalajara (sp?).

2. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    lol....

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The guy knows the area and the sporting market. I wouldn't argue w/ a guy who knows his $hit.

Hispanic Heritage Night has been somewhat successful. I don't think you can compare Luis H. (a person) to a BRAND NAME: Chivas.

You're right to suggest that it takes hard work to promote the league, but footie fans begin to convert when they see their homeland league as being at a lower level than MLS. When MLS clearly surpasses MFL, more and more Mexicans will become fans. From looking at the crowds at HDC, it seems LA's ethnic breakdown is decently represented. I doubt they are all Guatemalans and Salvadoreans.

Another thing that ppl don't realize is that Mexicans (and many other nationalities) support Mexican teams in international competitions. In other words, they kind of transfer their MNT allegiance to an MFL "rival" when the MFL team plays in Libertadores or what have you. ALL of Mexico was talking about Necaxa's performance in FIFA's World Club Tourney back in 2000 in Brazil.

My Mexican girlfriend and her family are actually looking forward to Chivas SD or wherever they may land. PLUS, they would get covered by Mexican press in Mexico, which would build up name recognition in Mexico, which is extremely important. And Univision and Telemundo would cover them. The more exposure, the better...

4. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I hope he knows the sport we're expanding is soccer... This sounds like another Florida team to me.

5. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Please.

We Mexicans understand what this MLS version of Chivas is and is not.

We know our footie.

6. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    ja ja ja

Thanks for the good laugh.

Carry on...

7. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Re: Re: "guru" says Hispanics will flock to see Chivas of San Diego !

8. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: "guru" says Hispanics will flock to see Chivas of San Diego !

I say:

That day will NEVER come. It's just a matter of...well... "Never"

BTW, I am Mexican.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #1: 2-0 (and not just b/c of our Euro players)
    #2: the overall level of goalies is stronger in MLS than MFL, and the top US goalies are abroad.
    #3: if US Soccer begins to tap the inner-city (both Latino and Black), MLS will be in the top 6-7 leagues in the world.
    #4: Modern sports are about $$. Which of the 2 leagues is setting itself up to become profitable? Which of the 2 leagues has more growth potential? Do you know that MLS could afford the salaries of the top players in Europe (but not the tranfer fees)? Beckham makes $8 million/yr. That's peanuts and MLS could afford it, but not the 15+ b-list stars that they would need too maintain interest in the league.

Cuando MLS supere MFL, los mexicanos will be fans b/c they know footie.

10. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will let my sig speak for itself here!

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could it be that carlos and I actually are de acuerdo? wow, this day needs to be written down in history. LOL Seriously, I find it funny that so many of the central American Latino fans denigrate MLS when none of them regularly beat us ......... especially the Mexican fans. MLS will be better than the MFL because of simple economics. More money here and better lifestyle for foreign players to enjoy. When MLS gets its stuff together in the near future, MFL won't even be in the conversation. The question was asked as to why the US got so many home friendlies. Well, I remember reading from one source that quoted several players, that it was because everyone loves to come and enjoy the states, so foreign FA's allow for it. Think about it, would someone from Germany, Spain, England, or Italy, with all things being relatively equal in terms of actual play, rather play in Mexico or the United States??? Anyone who says the answer is Mexico is sorely misguided.

12. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado

There's a lot of things that have to happen before MLS moves past the MFL, but they are not impossible. MFL teams average about $4 million salary, MLS teams about $2 million. But in a country where a $50 million baseball salary for a team is not considered competitive, then it's not inconcievable that in a few years the MLS could have a $10 million cap. It's obvious that there's money for soccer in the US. Does the Mexican National Team play any friendlies in Mexico anymore? Not too many. I'm not totally sure about your statement that foreign players love the American lifeatyle, but maybe that's because I'm really fond of (non-touristy) Mexico and might retire there some day. Players who have children might be attracted to US schools and especially US universities. The possibility of acquiring US citizenship is certainly a factor for many. Yeah, if the sleeping giant of US soccer ever wakes up, the MLS will be considered the dominant league in the Western Hemisphere, not just North America. And it's all because of the money.

13. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA

people from germany, spain, england and italy won't be coming to play in the USA knowing the high salaries euro players get payed in europe. MLS will start buying top south american players not european players since being able to match euro salaries for top euro players is a long time away.

14. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

Does the MLS depend on the success of the Men's National Team? Some experts say yes, some say no. But its own existance was dependant on a World Cup. It is smart to start a league based on the popularity of a World Cup? Maybe I should start a professional Gymnastics league right after the WC.

But I do know this, the MFL does not depend on the success of their national team. In fact, after the 1990 fiasco, starting earning a lot more than previous years. Figures that keep expanding exponantially.

#2: the overall level of goalies is stronger in MLS than MFL, and the top US goalies are abroad.

Good for you, you will need them playing bunkerball

#3: if US Soccer begins to tap the inner-city (both Latino and Black), MLS will be in the top 6-7 leagues in the world.

Thats and if and we could do that all day, but that wont happen.

1. You just dont erase basketball and football out of the picture. So much history and tradition.

2. How many green pastures do you see in the inner cities? The ones that are available are used for Football and Track and Field. Hate to say it, but poor folk in the inner cities want to go where the money is at and where the most scholarships are available.. that is football and basketball.

#4: Modern sports are about $$. Which of the 2 leagues is setting itself up to become profitable? Which of the 2 leagues has more growth potential? Do you know that MLS could afford the salaries of the top players in Europe (but not the tranfer fees)? Beckham makes $8 million/yr. That's peanuts and MLS could afford it, but not the 15+ b-list stars that they would need too maintain interest in the league.

That is a good question. Which league is setting themselves to become profitble?

The MLS is setting themselves for heartbreak in the future. And building the HDC and the new Dallas complex is not an indicator that soccer will remain, those faciltites can and will generate revenues from other sources.

When the MLS decides to do away with Single Entity, (because it will have to) and the leagues is forced to have seperate owners, I see know one with the experience to actually operate a soccer club in the MLS. The very wings that provided shelter will be the reason for their incomptence. They wont know shyt from shinola. They wont know how to market, how to advertise. You can only have Hispanic Heritage a couple times before it gets old.

They will try to acquire players so fans can watch thier teams. Thats not the type of fans you want. They need fans who will watch the team regardless of who is there. How many Salvadorean and Guatemalans will be less inclined to go watch Galaxy after Cienfiegos and Pescadito leave?

Whos fan base keeps growing and growing outside thier borders. Hell 5 years ago, you could watch about 70% of MFL games. Now you can virtually watch all of them on 5 different channels. Each year new shows start up or a retransmitted from Mexico to cover the league. IF that is not growth, I dont know what is.

This is from La Jornada from a 1999 edition

That was from 1999. We are in 2003. The amount of sponsors has basically doubled. In that time frame we have also expanded the league. In 1999, the Copa Libertadores was a 5 year deal and sponsors were hesitant because they didnt have direct partiicpation. Now.. its direct participation and sponsors and the networks are making a big deal because they want to know who goes to the Copa Libertaodres.

Will the FMF become a billion dollar entity within the next 4-8 years. At the rate they are going, yes. New sponsors, New owners, Foreign Investors, New networks and cable channels (domestic and international).

Cuando MLS supere MFL, los mexicanos will be fans b/c they know footie.

You act is if the world is at a stalemate and the MLS is the only league that can improve. Hate to burst your bubble. But other leagues are always trying to improve as well.

The USSF officials are letting the enemy come in take away thier fans, and only a few capitalize on it. The Latin Snobs and Euro Snobs were never really a target because they have thier allegiances since thier were younger. (I dont like the term snob. Its term that Xenophobic American soccer players use because they expect that people should only watch MLS and US soccer) And if the USSF ever does wake up and realize that, there wont be a dman thing they can do, because you will have some American who will set up these events and games.. and will sue if the USSF intereferes. Capitalism at its finest hour if you ask me.

15. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. There is no guarantee that Mexicans will support his team just because of the "Chivas" brand.

2. Why would non-Mexican Hispanics support a team that is named after a Mexican squad?

3. Why would non-Hispanic Americans support a team that is named after a Mexican squad.

16. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Flock Away

As long as they flock out of RFK, I'm all for flocking in San Diego........

17. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Originally posted by uclacarlos

So we should expect the K-League to clearly surpass La Liga and Lega Calcio based on WC results ?

Your Overall strikers also suck. MFL top strikers are all South American Internationals representing every country except Brazil. Just take a look at the South American Qualifiers and check out who are scoring the goals and where they play at..

18. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hey, smart one, that is what he was saying....

He said that you would know your soccer and that the 3 mil hispanics can tell the difference in Chivas teams...he said that the opposite of this would be insulting and nearly racist...

Comprehend english before you jump on people with dumbass comments (attempted sarcastic Please) mr highandmighty.

19. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So you're saying Mexico is the new Spain?

20. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His reputation also comes from marketing Major League Baseball. Apples and Oranges, Bruin-lad. There is no baseball league comparable to MLB anywhere in the world. How often did thius guy have to hear "American Baseball teams suck, I'd rather watch the Monterrey Sultans on television"?

I agree with CrewDust. There's no reason for non-Mexican Hispanics to cheer for this team except for local pride (which is highly unlikely if they're the same fans I've seen boo the US National Anthem at matches in LA before) or if they happen to sign a player from their own country (the Cinefuegos/Ruiz factor), and from what Vergara has been spouting for the Spanish-language media lately (admittedly he could just be blowing smoke up their asses) neither of those things will be part of ChivasUSA's marketing push.

21. TMurray

TMurray New Member

Oct 5, 1999
    Everyone seems to be assuming that the owner of Chivas will field a team with many foreign players on it when he comes in to the MLS. That may not necessarily be true. He has fielded a team with all Mexicans and been the most financially successful owner in Mexico. I understand he bought a team in Costa Rica and decided to field just Ticos there. That is how Jose Cancela became available to New England. I would not be surprised if he decided to field a team with all U.S. players here in the MLS. Now, wouldn't that be interesting? I would certainly tend to support that team.

22. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

With the exception of their top four teams Yes.. These past few years that Level of play has increased in such a way that many foreigners are getting their Mexican Citizenship in order to be able to remain at cerain clubs. Doesnt look too good for the National team however..

23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Vuelvo a la misma vaina:
    2-0. Who scored the goals? Where do they play?

And I know we're not supposed to get personal, but seriously, did you see the Spain-SK game? Did you happen to notice how many legitimate goals were called back? Did you happen to notice how many legit goals were called back against Italy? Did you happen to notice how many red cards were issued to SK opposition? SK allowed 4 goals and one sure to be goal nullified due to refs that were chosen in order to represent the globe and NOT b/c of their ability. To assert that SK is the 4th best team in the world shows that you don't know footie. Spain and Italy got robbed.

24. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Baseball to soccer = apples to oranges

Convincing footie fans to check out a foreign sport way down on the list = convincing baseball/football fans that a foreign sport (futbol) is worth a look.

My point is that in order to know the market, you have to get to know what makes it tick. Futbol is the point of comparison for the Mexican market (although there are cities where baseball is king, like TJ), just like football, baseball and hoops are the point of comparison for the US.

25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you are right about that, but i'm not saying tomorrow. the top european players will stay, but many who are just under the tier who ARE looking to move in the future, will be more likely to come here than the MFL as MLS grows and salaries become competitive. I'm not a snobbish American, but we all know that the almighty dollar rules, and we have more of them than anywhere on the planet. Once people choose to go to the gates to watch soccer here, stars from other places will be tripping over their feet to get here. its just the reality of the times we live in. if you think it's impossible, just look at what is happening in Italy and Spain. most teams are in financial difficulty. Italian leagues were talking postpone and the government had to get involved. there is so much room for growth here, and it will eventually be realized.