Guppy says Metro fans dont care

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by okcomputer, Apr 20, 2005.

1. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
  2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Yeah, classy guy. 'I look around here and I see something fantastic.'

So fantastic, they had to fire the guy that built it?

Nice management message.

And, maybe the Fire fans cared about their team because their team cared about the fans? Perhaps the metro fans that don't care about Metro are a result of a Metro team that didn't care about it's fans? Fish food for thought.

3. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ********ing hate Otho

I want him DEAD

I want Nick DEAD

I want Washo DEAD

It's the only way Metro is saved, since I don't think Phil is ever letting these guys go

4. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Jerky thing to say, though perhaps it played better with his target audience.

But of course, he may be right in many ways.

Chicago fans certainly cared about their organization as a whole (wilt included). Metro fans wake up singing "throw MFO down the well, so my team can be free".

Also, I'd wager that 60% of the people at Giants Stadium are there to see some soccer, and care not one bit about the team overall. I'm not talking 101. Not Metronation. But we're the minority - the majority of people I see around the stadium certainly do not match the enthusiasm for the team. they're there to get the kids out of the house.

Perhaps Chicago is better at that than we are.

5. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    For a second there, I thought that DC United's new midfielder was talking sh!t. I was like 'man, do they hand out anti-Metro propaganda in the DC United orientation booklet?'

Back to this Guppy. I thought the statements were just unnecessary & antagonistic. In a word, typical. MFO has to stop thinking as the fans as the enemy & get their ship in order.

6. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Um, ever think that may be because practically every Metro team has sucked since 1996? Or that ticket prices have increased every year? Or that parking is $15-$20? Or that there's no very convenient mass transit option getting to/from the stadium?
    How anyone can compare the mass fan bases for a class organization like the Fire, or even DC, who have not only had great success on the field, but FO's and stadiums that are much more welcoming to fans, against what the Metro team/FO have shoveled out every year, is ridiculous.
    But yeah, keep blaming the fans for not showing up to get shi& on.

7. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Re-read that portion of the article...was he referring to Metro fans not caring, to Metro not having a good team, or to both...he may have been talking about the team aspect and it did not come out right b/c he threw in that small portion about the fans caring...

8. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marmalard...DEAD!!!

Neidermeyer!!!

9. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    That comment would never be made by a classy guy. Guppy better work on his character. Disparaging the fans of an organization that fed his kids for the past four years and did not terminate him for poor performance shows a fundamental lack of class.

Oh by the way Mr. Guppy. . .I care and every painful defeat hurts me and ruins my Saturday night. Just ask my wife.

10. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If the fans don't care about the team, then why did 12K poor souls show up to support the only team that has yet to make an appearance in an MLS Cup?

If the fans don't care about the team, then why are they showing up to the games despite the highest ticket prices in MLS?

If the fans don't care about the team, then why are they still showing up despite years of poor front office decisions from people just like Guppy?

What an @sshole.

11. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Rejoice, you're not alone - Columbus and Dallas haven't made it yet either

Metro is the only team not to make an MLS Cup OR US Open Cup final though, maybe that's what you meant.

12. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Actually, we made the Open Cup final 2 years ago, Bradleys 1st year. Lost to Chi.

13. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    This is so dumb and we hear this crap all the time from people who just don't understand the very basics of puiblicity and marketing. It's not about this jerk Guppy's ego, it's about selling the sport, the teams and most importantly selling tickets to see the team.

Everytime you see a microphone, a tape recorder or someone taking notes, you'r e on and that's your job.

Fire this moron. No wonder MLS has trouble if the higher ups can't see this.

14. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Why would they care?? The kids, I mean the fans, probably wish one of their favorite cartoon characters were on the team.

15. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    Sometimes the caretakers of American professional soccer sure make it difficult to support the game.

I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt in Chicago, to see what he could do. But I think he has shown everyone what he really thinks.

Paul

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not trolling, just appearing on your board to briefly point out that it didn't play well with me. Can't speak for the others, but I suspect it's not going to make us think, "gee, maybe it wasn't his fault at all."

17. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    The fans didn't care... but hey, corporate sponsorship was up!

Paul

18. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

No kidding.

If Peter Wilt was a main reason why Chicago fans are so caring and passionate...well then Mr. Guppy - why would metro have the least caring, most ornery fans in the league?

Oh right. Must be the water. Certainly not the fault of MFO.

19. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    This guy needs to look himself in the mirror and ask himself "why people don't care". Wasnt this part of his job? Wasnt he the one who walked in and fired all the old sales reps and brought in his own? Hasnt attendance basically sucked since then? Its amazing how they dont have problems with fans caring in DC or Chicago. Maybe because the front office in those places actually care about the fans.

20. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    At this point Guppy is irrelevant. I look at the Alamodome deal that San Antonio is offering MLS, and I can see St. Phil weighing free rent in Texas vs. $1.6 mil/season in NJ - and phrases like "no brainer" and "this Big Apple's got worms" suddenly come to mind.

One more dead end in Harrison, and maybe the car backs out and heads to Texas. Guppy or no Guppy, what would it matter then?

21. MJNES

MJNES New Member

Jul 8, 1999
    Cranford, NJ
    Agreed, that is one sweetheart deal in San Antonio. Hopefully they can get a new team in there rather than moving a current franchise, but either way, that deal has to be attractive to a prospective owner.

As for Guppy, he's gone now, and I'm sure he'll say whatever he thinks will ingratiate him to the fans. If that means putting down Metro fans, then I'm sure this will be the first of many cheapshots taken...

22. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I'm sure we're gonna get a bunch of - "Well I wanted to do this, but Nick blocked it" or some other puerile bag of diarhheaic monkey feces from Guppy.

23. soccerdad

soccerdad Member

Dec 27, 1998
    montclair nj
    Do we even have a lease at GS for next year? I thought origionally we signed a 10 year deal that ends this year. Also, there is going to be a lot of construction around GS next year and playing there seems like a bad idea.

Anyone know?

24. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    That shouldn't be a problem since the Harrision Stadium will be up next year...oh wait, nevermind.

25. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Anyone down for a

Guppy: We cared, you sucked

banner on Friday?