Gunman in Cannonball House?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dearprudence, Oct 30, 2003.

1. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannonball House Locked Down

A man with a gun in a backpack was stopped at the entrance, and he grabbed the bag & ran into the Cannonball House - where many Congressmen & Senators have their offices. There is also potentially a woman involved, and the tunnels connecting the Cannonball House, the Capitol, Library of Congress, etc have been sealed.

This is the first report, so I'm not swearing to the accuracy of this report.

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C-Span confirms.

3. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    A guy (5'3" 145lbs) and a woman. They are slowly evacuating and have the tunnels closed off. Confirmed from all of the news channels.

4. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two people have been taken into custody - along with a TOY gun. Stupid bastards - they will face basically the same penalty for having a toy gun & evading the police.

5. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    two suspects in custody. had a toy gun that got past security. Speculation that it was a dry run from someone wanting to commit a true act later or someone trying to make a point (how real toy guns work or how security is poor) a la the Southwest Airlines moron.

6. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    suspects said gun was part of haloween costume. but ran when they were caught.

7. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    They could have killed one of our toy legislators with that thing!!

8. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    not sure where you are hearing these things. according to Capitol Police (on CNN), it was two staffers that went through the screener with a toy gun in her backpack. the cop got distracted and the staffers walked off. the cop then looked at the screen and realized that there was a potential gun in the building.

no running, no tests, just stupid incident.

9. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Well as you can tell by the times of the posts and what was written these were all based on what the news channels were reporting.

10. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    i'm curious then. what channel were you watching? i was watching CNN and didn't hear any of those things. just wondering what coverage was like on other channels, i wasn't flipping.

11. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught it on the radio, then checked Yahoo! for the update.

Btw, those staffers have to be a special kind of stupid to bring even a toy gun into such a building, halloween or not.