Guille Franco's Imminent Call to La Seleccion

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Piedraias, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Piedraias

Piedraias Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    Califas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    check out this article on the possibility Guillermo Franco will be called up to the NT.

Monterrey | Opiniones encontradas por un posible llamado del 'Guille' al Tri

Dulce Moncada | MEDIOTIEMPO (Corresponsal)
    Monterrey, Nuevo León, 4 de Julio de 2005.

La posible convocatoria del director técnico del tricolor Ricardo Lavolpe al jugador del Monterrey, Guillermo Franco, ha causado tanta polémica que las opiniones a favor y en contra están a la orden del día.

Inmersos en el patriotismo, algunos jugadores ex mundialistas declaran que el tricolor no debe de perder esencia y ganar o perder con elementos netamente mexicanos, mientras otros piden a gritos que se respete el reglamento que ampararía al goleador del Monterrey.

http://mediotiempo.com/pi/noticia.php?id_noticia=7563

What are your thoughts on this

2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the Argentinian born guy who at one point pretty much went nuts and carried Monterrey on his shoulders during the playoffs a year or so ago ..right?

3. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  4. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    i still think he should not be called up. :mad:

5. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Zinha has done great for el tri so why not give Franco the chance? Franco is better than any Mexican born in the position that he plays. I really think that having him on el tri doubles the chances of Mexico doing good in the world cup and would make Mexico a contender. He is a player that can make a difference all by himself.

6. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

franco is not that great anyways we have good mexican forwards that can do and play that position better then franco. Anyway i'm not going to more detail because I don't want to make this thread to become full of arguments. :cool: :rolleyes:

7. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001

******** that.

This guy is a special case........... El TRI is second fiddle to him. There is no way that his guy should play for Mexico.

8. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    Here We Go Again...

WE HARDLY HAVE NATIVE FORWARDS.
    1. Bofo, Bravo & Osorno are not NT players. Bofo got his chances & blew them. Bravo sucked in the olympics. Osorno is hardly a starter in Atlas.
    2. Palencia is old and downhill.
    3. Marquez Lugo is too green.
    4. Cuauhtemoc Blanco is downhill, and not well liked by the NT players. Besides, he refused to play the COnfed cup
    5. Arellano has been injured a loooooooong time.
    6. Fonseca is OK but he's irregular.

Really, we're basically left with Borgetti, Fonseca and Marquez L. only.
    I personally don't care who the hell plays, but Franco is available and better than the rest. Thats it.

9. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Re: Here We Go Again...

No. That's not it. The Men's teams shouldn't resort to being second fiddle to any other team.

I'm sorry, but this isn't club football. ******** Lavolpe if he calls him up.

10. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
    he showed a lot of passion for monterrey a few seasons back.. if he displayed the same passion for el tri maybe i might change my mind about him playing on the nation team...

but i doubt it, he definately should not be there just so he can go to a world cup

i hope the young forwards lavolpe called for the gold cup really step it up so he dosent have to resort to calling him.

11. Numero_9

Numero_9 Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I was ok with Zinha because hes been playing in Mexico for a long time now. And it seems like he really has a passion for the Mexican team. Guille, on the other hand, only wants this for himself. He doesnt care about the team. He said he wants to play with Mexico since hes waited for Argentina to call him and it didnt happen. So hes doing this just to expose himself. So i say NO to him. Zinha im ok with.

12. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Season - Goals [Assist]

Apertura 2002 - 4 [1]
    Clausura 2003 - 6 [3]
    Apertura 2003 - 7 [1]
    Clausura 2004 - 5 [3]
    Apertura 2004 - 15 [2]
    Clausura 2005 - 2 [1]

Are those really the numbers of dominant centerforward?

In Monterrey, he has played 2 roles. He has played the roaming forward and the traditional striker. I think he has been most efective as a striker than a romaing forward and I do give Herrera credit for that. In Mexico, there is no better roaming forward than Cuauhtemoc Blanco. NONE.

BUT I dont see him leaps and bounds better than what Mexican currently has. I am not just looking at the numbers either. Blanco and Palencia are forwards as well that dont put up double digits in the goal scoring column, BUT they dont play the traditional striker position either.

There is a reason I didnt put a name to those stats, because you can go to Mediotiempo... and if you didnt know anybetter... you could be looking at Olalde's, Abundis's or, Bravo's stats. They look almost identical to that of Francos.

So, I just dont see why we need him. He is not better. He is not the difference.

13. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah thank you. I don't even see how he is unquestionable for the Tri. He had a great year when he won the scoring title and he did carry the team to the final. And he had a great liguilla when he won he won his title but that is it. He hasn't been a freaking Ronaldinho and he won't be the diference. Hell look at Bravo and how many goals he scored with Chivas and in Libertadores and yet he hasn't been able to consolidate with the Tri. Why should Franco be any different.

And its just the fact that the guy is a merc. You can be for or against naturalizados but their shouldn't be any doubt about a guy that basically said Mexico is 2nd fiddle to him. And the problem is that nobody in the press is picking this up. Everyone keeps bringing Zinha as how he is solid and their shouldn't be any doubt. Zinha wasn't babling about how the Brazilian NT was his dream when he was winning title. He didn't say that since Argentina didn't call him, he wanted to play with Mexico. All those morons are either unaware of those remarks or ignoring it because they are lousy or have hidden agendas.

14. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am pretty much against naturalizados on the MNT, but I can kind of overlook some of the current ones on the team because they seem pretty much like us. Been in Mexico a long time etc... But this guy, NO FUKIN WAY!!! He's a MERC! I'm not a big Lavolpe hater, but if he calls this guy up, he should be FIRED!!!

15. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    that is one of the best arguments i've heard

16. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    Probably off topic...

Has Omar Bravo been called up and given a fair shake during his hot streak?

and really to be fari to Franco (not that I'm for him), he was injured most of last season and din't get to play much...

Also what is up with Gaytan? I heard their was talk about him playing for el tri sometime in the future, would he be any difrent?

Personally I think the player would have had to been playing in Mexico for a while and shown his commitment to the country and the league, to be taken into consideration... Players that I would have been 'ok' with if, they had at the time chosen Mexico:

Cardozo
    Pony Ruiz
    heck even Sebastian Gonzalez

but ofcourse all these guys play for their respective NT, however they would fit the bill of making their career in Mexico and some have even turned down lucrative deals elswhere to stay in Mexico.

17. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Re: Here We Go Again...

I completely agree.

18. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    his commitment for the MNT started a few month ago when he realized he wasn't playing for argentina.

19. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    YOU'VE GOT YOUR NUMBERS WRONG, SON... HATE TO BRING IT TO YA, SON, BUT MEDIOTIEMPO.COM IS UNRELIABLE. Make sure you WATCH the games next time.
    YOUR NUMBERS DON'T MATCH. YOU'RE NOT INCLUDING LIGUILLA GOALS, you prick.
    MEDIOTIEMPO.COM DOES NOT COMPUTE LIGUILLA ASSISTS EITHER.

http://mediotiempo.com/pi/jugador.php?id_jugador=1241&torneo=1&id_fase=3&submit=Calcula

ONE LAST THING: I have utter respect for Franco because the guy has played all stitched up with a head protector, bloody, infiltrated and has lost mobility on his left hand because he went ahead and played with a broken hand.
    And then you have Missy Cuau Blanco whose day in the sun is more important than helping out his team.

20. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Goofy, you nick does you justice. You are all bark and no bite.

Show me that I am wrong? Arent you the fool that said Romano had won a league title?

Go to Monterrey's website, mediotiempo, mundosoccer, univision, sr. futbol (reforma- thats if you are a registered member), or any number of other websites dedicated to Mexican soccer stats and news.

If three completely different and autonomous websites have the same info on goal production, its almost safe to say its true. If the washington post allowed bob woodward to verify his facts using 2 sources, i think it can pass here.

I do watch the games.

There is not point to include goals scored in liguilla. Why? That isnt fair for players that didnt make the liguilla. Borgetti, Palencia, Borja, Borgetti, etc all miss out on liguillas as well.

All players that get cut in the face and that have not lost thier equilibrium get patch up with bandage and play. I have seen hundreds of players do that, so dont make it seem that Franco is the only one.

Last time I checked, a left hand was far from his heart and his 2 legs. And you are wrong, he didnt play the whole season.

Carlos Salcido is asking La Volpe not to call upon his services for the Gold Cup, AND NO ONE SAYS A FVCKING THING. It just shows that its another reason to hate Blanco because he is Mexico's best player and he plays for the most hated team in Mexico

21. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

y eres mexicano? errr, i mean and you are a mexican?

22. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Goofy is trying so hard to make me look bad.

Go to the Hugo (Maestro) Lavolpe thread in the NT forum.

Poor guy... I had to lay the smack down and he still cant rebuttle. All he can do is call me a prick, refer to me as son.... as if he is teaching em something... HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

this was his post

So, i had to educate the poor guy with the folllowing

His students are shyt. The Lavolpistas have had 58 opportunities to win a title and they have only one title to show for.... 1/58= 0.017 PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!

How do you build a school based off mediocrity?????

Lavolpe is a mental midget from the word gooo... but those who actually follow him are worst....

23. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    CMON GOOFY.... I am still waiting for you to prove that the stats I provided are wrong? Please tell me Guille's real stats?

I never check Univision, but I did for you... and guess what.... they didnt put that Franco had to goals this past season (against atlas and america).. So i take it you wont be using that site. But... go to reforma, go to mundo soccer, go to medio tiempo, go the femexfut site....

PLEASE!!!!!

show a link that says Romano won a league title. show me a link that says Franco does not have the goal production...

still waiting SON

24. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL

I sense much frustration in our dear goofy.

I mean all lavolpe has going for him is his recent wins, but that is still weak sauce.

And this guille stuff is stupid since he built his grave with that comment of "i want to play for arg, but if mexico calls me up, then oh well, ill play with them"

screw that fool.

25. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Goofy is the new scottie of the group