Guevara Wins MVP

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Tyler66, Nov 11, 2004.

1. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    This is true, but many times they were only slightly better when he was around. Especially for the last month and a half or so.

2. SocrStopr13

SocrStopr13 Member

Apr 29, 2001
    How can you say you watched all the metrostars games this year and not admit Guevara whines constantly to the officials and takes a dive when someone breathes on him too hard. He embellishes everything to try to get a player carded every chance he gets. Remember the towel incident last year, true was a different year but you can not deny his character as a player. Remember the blatant elbow to Beasely's head in the friendly? Guevara doesn't get in refs faces after a crappy call, he does it every play he doesn't get the call he wanted and then he whines about it. Yes, Kovalenko did break Obrien's leg and it was a bad tackle to commit but it was not meant to break his leg or premeditated like Guevara's elbow on Beasely. Kovalenko is passionate and sure he commits some fouls but they are from hustle not because he is a dirty player at heart. You are delusional if you can't see the real type of player Guevara is or just in denial.
    For the record I base my judgments I have for Guevara as being the most classless player in MLS on every game that the metrostars played DC and all the metrostars games that were on FSW and ESPN this year which I'm not sure exactly how many games that was but I know it was a good number of games. Plenty of enough games for me to see what type of player he really is.

3. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    He is a very good player that tries to make a meal out of anything he can. It hard to deny it. Would you say the same about Eddie Gaven?

4. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Let's just say that this characterization is less than impartial. I pulled up the video of the play, and the Metro announcers -- for an equally partisan view -- accused Cancela of embellishing Guevara's foul.

Without going into too much detail, your description isn't entirely accurate. In a frustrated effort to get around Cancela, Guevara did catch him in the face, but he didn't throw an elbow; neither did he give any indication of taking a swing at Baker. You also left out certain things, such as the fact that Guevara did actually help Cancela to his feet, put a hand on his shoulder and say a few words. Cancela nodded in response.

5. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Well certainly.

Guevara, clearly frustrated and chasing Cancella, catches up an swings his arm around to nearly clothesline Cancella (the camera angle isn't the best, but you can pretty much tell by Guevara's and Cancella's body English)). Incidentally, my angle from the crowd was better, but I really don't expect you to accept my perspective.
    My characterization may have been a little vague here. He certainly tried to start a fight with him. He pushes Baker in the chest, takes a slap at the ball in an effort to strip it, shouts a few niceties at Baker. Swell guy.
    This is pretty much consistant with what I said, and characteristic of Cancella. It's also characteristic of Guevara who's pretty much a consumate actor on the field (I have no idea how he is off of it - perhaps a true Prince) - nearly decapitate the guy, then offer a smiling hand.

6. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Kovalenko plays with hustle? Yeah, he hustles to slide tackle the guy with the ball. The dude should have been sent off in the first 15 minutes of Game 2. Did you watch that game?

Most of the games this year were on MSG. ESPN games were just about all against rival teams. Look, I watch MetroStars games pretty closely, since I write for MetroEmpire.tk. I can tell you right now that Guevara is a passionate player. He does get in the faces of the refs and yes he does embellish sometimes. But what you are failing to recognize, is what happens in the other games that aren't shown on ESPN and FSW. Watch a game or two where the commentators AREN'T against the Metros. Maybe when you watch JP call a game, you'll see that, yes, the refs have made some pretty bad calls. And you know what, the Metros have had MANY bad calls against them. I don't know about you, but when you're the heart and soul of a team, and your teammate his clipped by the legs and the ref doesn't show a yellow, wouldn't you go complain to the ref, given that your captain is too busy not interacting with the officials?

I love how you guys simply can't see the good in Amado, yet you all can see Kovalenko as angel. Guevara never dives. Eddie Gaven and Cornell Glen dive all of the time. I don't mind admitting that. Personally, that's why the Metros didn't get a goal against DC. Gaven kept on falling. But Amado doesn't. While you're bringing up the towel event, who was it that did the hitting? Also, why are you so worried about what goes on in the Metro games? This season is what counts. Not last season, or the season before. Amado made a great improvement this year, and the MVP award definately a good reward who did whatever possible to help is team out, even if that meant playing defensively at the end due to some line up changes.

7. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yeah, when you have guys like Glen and Taylor not playing at 100%, it's tough. The lack of game from SGR was also a factor. The injuries to Vaca, Gilberto and Magee were also a big part in their decline in postive results.

8. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    True true... I agree with that completely. Down the stretch though, METRO were shut out 6 of their last 12 games. Amado, touted all over as a great playmaker, point getter and now MVP, should have to shoulder his share of the blame too.

9. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I agree with you as well...but the reason wasn't completely Amado's. In the playoffs, Bradley finally decided to move him up a bit, which sparked a lot of offense. But once the ball was give to Glen or to Gaven, they just flopped like crazy.

10. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    In those two games, I agree. Looking at this team I just don't see the link between the midfield and the forwards. They somehow just don't seem to be able to connect and create many good shots. Amado's goals came mainly from set pieces (lots from Gavens flopping) and Woly's seem to be more opportunistic. There were flashes of creative play earlier in the season. That just seemed to become the exception more than the rule as the season went along.

11. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Very true. There's never any support given to the forwards. A midfielder will pass them the ball and they are left out to dry. No aid what so ever. With this going on...Taylor and Glen basically have to flop in order to win possession because they won't do it by themselves.