Guevara Wins MVP

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Tyler66, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Super Metro

Super Metro New Member

Aug 2, 1999
    New York City
    All the great players in history had some kind of strong character when it came to fight for their teams (who cries more than baby jesus himself, the best player in this league). All of you talking about the Metros being that way because of Guevara obviously have not seen this team play since the start of the league, we NEEDED this kind of attitude and now we have it (See Magee, Leitch etc.) Other teams had their Stoichcovs, Kovalenkos etc. and those were not bad players after all....

Cannon will win keeper of the year, that's whay they have that award, right?

To Guevara's credit, as someone pointed out, he had to play for the TEAM most of the time, the numbers are there because he is a great player but had he had the liberty Moreno had and two consintant partners up front, NO WAY people were going to doubt about this.

Finally, what is an MVP? Think about it, MLS is lacking those great mids it had before, it has always had decent forwards and wonders in the net but only a handfull of good midfielders. Another GK would have done a decent job in Colorado and DC could have played just fine without Moreno but the metros without Guevara....... :confused:

2. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    When you have an official that can't control a game because he's afraid of giving dirty hacks like Dema, Olsen and Stewart red cards...what the hell do you expect a player to do?

Yeah, the few games you watched Guevara play really, really is pointless to use against him. They were games full of tension. If I were to judge DC by that game 2 of the playoffs, then I would never believe they deserve to be MLS Champs. They all look like a bunch of hacks looking for the legs of the opposition, literally. Do you remember how many times Dema challenged the Metros in a dirty fashion? Or Stewart? Or Olsen? Or Nelsen?

I don't think I've seen Amado dive once this season. Watch Amado play against the other 8 teams in MLS...then make a judgement. I've seen Moreno play versus the Metros...and he's just a guy who was lucky to play against a team that can't defend two plays at once. Is that a fair judging of Moreno?

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Cannon deserved it, but Guevara is not a bad choice. No one really stood out way above everyone else this year.

It's not the goalkeepers' fault that there is also a goalkeeper of the year award. Let's not turn this into the same situation baseball has where a pitcher can never win MVP, no matter how dominating they were, like Pedro Martinez a few years ago.

4. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    That's the problem with the 'Zards fans. They don't realize the team who actully scores more goals is the winning side.

5. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    As a DCU Fan, I really thought Jamie deserved to win it. I was going to be really upset until I heard Guevara speak to the press. "I'd like to trade this to Jamie and play this weekend" (or something to that phrase) showed me he has class and really wants to win, even over individual praises.

6. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep I think we know that since we won the most games in the league this year.

7. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    A ridiculous choice. Jaime Moreno was the most dangerous offensive player the league. Guevara is a whining jerk, who failed to produce over the last two months of the season.

8. tfoisie

tfoisie New Member

Nov 9, 2004

Actually, Guevara did make the FoxSportsWorld MLS XI.

9. Nutz

Nutz New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Houston, TX

Agreed. Moreno should've taken the prize. At least he's valuable enough to take his team to MLS Cup 2004.

Maybe MLS is desperately trying to spread the wealth (Comeback Player of the Year = Jaime Moreno) and stir some hype in the Big Apple.

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Getting your ass kicked all season long has warped your mind. Your little diving hack isn't worthy of carrying Moreno's jock. You got your ass handed to you 6-2 in DC and then your lame ass stadium was made our home in the playoffs. Your goalie is a 15 year olds bitch and you can't sing. :D

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guevara won the Budwiser Scoring Championship, that's why they have that award right?

Did you watch a single Rapids game this year? It is not far fetched to say that Cannon made 30 saves this season that an average MLS GK would not make. That's a goal per game more given up. The Rapids would have had 25 less points if that was the case.

As for teh argument that Goalkeepers shouldn't be named MVP, why not? Anyone? This isn't like a MLB pitcher who only plays in 20%-25% of the games in a season, the goalkeeper is out there every game like every other player. In fact Cannon is one of only 4 players this season to play every minute of every game. Cannon had more of an effect on the Rapids results than Guevara did on the Metros results. Quite simply with Garlick or Vallow instead of Cannon the Rapids do not make the playoffs. In fact the Rapids would have been the worst team in the league without Cannon.

I will admit, as a Rapids fan I watched primarily Rapids games this season (Every one of them on National TV/Direct Kick). I would be unhappy if Moreno had gotten the award, but he has a legitimate case. Guevara is a joke though.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon was far and away the MVP. Anyone who disagrees is obviously someone who didn't watch very many Rapids games on TV this year. (Pretty easy to do, I'll admit.)

Had Cannon only been merely a good goalkeeper, the Rapids miss the playoffs, since the team in front of him was truly craptacular, easily worse than either the Burn or the Earthquakes. As it was, they finished third in the West, simply because he turned losses into draws and turned draws into wins.

He easily had the most profound effect on his team's fortunes this year.

13. thedeuce_2

thedeuce_2 New Member

May 22, 2002
    Virginia
    I think it's funny that because we think Guevara doesn't deserve this award, we are classified as classless when the fact of the matter is that Guevara is classless and IMO can't score a goal unless it's handed to him on a silver platter. Moreno and Cannon are MUCH more deserving.

14. slarockk

slarockk New Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Southern California
    Its been said many times in this thread. IMO Goalkeeper of the year and MVP should go to Cannon. He was the only reason they had a season close to what they had and was "most valuable" to his team every game of the year.

Amado G was his teams MVP but was not as consistant as J Moreno was for his team. AG faded down the stretch and as one Fox commentator said was "campaining for a yellow card" half the game. Similar to LA's Fish and SJ's Donovan AG would get taken out by thuggish tackles because their talent and creativity was so good. I think they just got tired of being taken down all the time that they resorted to this type of gamemenship. No disrespect to these players but MLS's refs don't do a good job of protecting creative players and cause tensions and anger to make the game choppy. If every time these guys get the ball they have to worry about someone coming in and scissor tackling them or giving blatent pushes and jersey tugs no wonder these guys get so pissed on the field. Anyways MVPS are to lead by example and with composure and my nod would have gone to Cannon.

15. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Amado is my favorite player, but he didn't deserve this award. He might have been MVP material for a part of the season, but not over the entirety of the whole season. Cannon was stronger all year long.

16. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll try to remember that the next time that hack punches one our National team players or gets sent off for scything down other professional players in an MLS match...

17. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet again, this league never fails to distinguish itself as a joke. Here's hoping he gets Kovalenkoed early next season.

18. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I woudl have gone with Moreno myself - as much because his team improved so much from the year before as well as his own accomplishments.

But i woudl rather they give ito Guevera than a goalie.

Sure - he is a great goalie. Great. Wihout him, teh Burn woudl have been in the playoffs instead. But his job and the defender's jobs are to make the game ugly. Hard tackles, kicking the ball away etc...A 0-0 draw and defenders and keepers go home happy. Midfielders and forwrads actually try to make thinsg happend. Defenders try and stop things from happening.

The award should go to people who can actually dribble the ball. Those who score goals.

Am I biased? Why yes I am. I would rather see a 4-3 game than a 1-0 game.

I am a midfielder and I approve this message. :D

19. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Would you care to point out to me just HOW anything in your post shows, or otherwise proves DC fans are classless? Are you referring to the fact that we didnt feel AG didnt deserve the award he "won"? is that it? Im sorry, but it seems to me that MOST MLS fans period feel he did not deserve the award he won, including quite a few metrostars fans. Just read thier forum, youll see for yourself.

If you want to call us sore losers because most of us felt that Gannon, or Moreno deserved to win it MORE, I guess thats fine, but id also like to point out that the only thing worse than a sore loser, is a ungracious winner.

Hold on to your "consolation prize" for dear life, because its likely the only thing youll have to cheer about for a while. Enjoy the offseason.

20. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with you, MLS had the "perfect story" in the come back kid, not only came back, but came back in great enough fasion to win an MVP award. That would have been great for MLS. Hell, even Gannon would have been a better story far and away.

And I love that new verb "Kovalenkoed". LOL!

21. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    It's a fine choice. Maybe not my choice but he plays the whole field and the Metros were terrible when he was not around.

22. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohh come on. You don't really believe that do you? This statement is true for Colorado and Cannon, but not new york. Without Guevara MLS would have sent some other creative midfielder to your rescue. Remember, you're one of the 'major' market teams. You get that kind of treatment. Here in Colorado we get injured has beens. This award came down to the market. No one from NY had won the award before. So give it to them. New York needs something, right?

23. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Enjoy that record, 'cause you won't win another this season.

24. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How is it a defender's job to make a game ugly? Goals are the sign of beauty in soccer? You are a texan. The beautiful part is what happens leading up to the goal or the prevention of one.

Watching Joe Cannon in goal is a thing of beauty. His aerial ability is amazing. His finger tip saves delightful. Since he was the only bright spot on the team we got to see a lot of amazing stuff from Cannon. Next time the Rapids are in Frisco, watch Cannon more carefully and you'll see the beautiful game.

25. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I should have quantified my statement. I only meant during the presentation ceremony.