Guevara The Only Latino Starter For The MLS ALL STARS

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by markitos8, Aug 2, 2003.

1. markitos8

markitos8 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    [R] Guevara The Only Latino Starter For The MLS ALL STARS

Guevara was the only latino playing for the MLS All Stars and he was looking confident despite being his first All Star Game, not to mention his first MLS season. Guevara had good ideas in the start of the game, he was trying to connect with Clint and Preky but they were in another planet, and apparently so was Boob Bradley after knowing that this is like a USA vs. Mexico match and takes out an attacking creative midfielder (Guevara) for a more defensive midfield type boricua (Armas) I think that was a pretty dumb move I think he should of took out preki considering hes like 40 and was apperantly showing tiredness.

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are Bocanegra and Armas not Latinos?

3. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    arent armas and bocanegra on the national team??

Did Armas Start??

4. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    No Armas did not start...

Doesn't Ronaldinho wear 10? :)

5. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    c-o-n spiracy

6. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

Ronaldinho being my fav. player
    11 being my number

Retards these days

7. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    C-o-n spiracy

Preki is spectacular, passing range the works.

Guevara is really solid as well

8. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Given that there were 7 subs allowed (and from Bradley's sub decisions), who started doesn't matter a lot. B/c Bradley basically put 2 different teams out there (first half and second half). When your second half team has Razov and Ruiz as strikers, that's not too shabby. Which, speaking of Ruiz, he didn't start, but he is Latino.

One last thought--in the baseball all-star game, some managers have been accused of pulling their own players early (to rest them) or using pitchers of key opponents for longer periods (or even using them when they didn't have to). I'm not arguing conspiracy here, only that maybe Bradley, besides wanting to win the match, also wanted to rest some of his own guys (such as Pope, Mathis, Guevara) after 45 minutes. From a club perspective, having your players not go the full 90 and avoid injury would be a real relief.

9. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anybody was being ethnically selective, it was Chivas. How come you are not complaining about them? Or is putting 11 Hispanic starters on a team not considered discrimination, but just putting 1 Hispanic starter is discrimination?

10. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Plus, Cienguegos played the second half. Basically, every hispanic player on the MLS All-stars either started the match, started the second half and played the entire second half, or played most of the second half. Zach Thornton is the only MLS player who didn't get PT.

11. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only a conspiracy if MetroStars play Columbus next. Hey Dude played the full 90, didn't he? :D

Ah hah! There you go. So the only player who didn't get on the field is black. What does that mean?

Seriously, I did wonder about why no keeper change. Seems to me that one of the honors of being on the all-star team is getting onto the field.

12. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Not in a game that is real. Both teams were trying to win, not put on a show.

13. stutrnjo

stutrnjo New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Avoca, Pa
    Yeah, how dumb is Bradley? MLS only 3-1.........

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Who cares. The term latino or hispanic is pretty contrived anyway. It doesn't descibe people with a common social backgroud, language or even overall physical appearance.

15. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    If I was doing the game I would have let Guevara play to the 60 minute. Only because I like his game. Don't care what nationality he is does not enter in on a coaching decision. He is a player that's it nothing else matters.

16. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Armas replaced Ryan Nelson.

It was Donovan who replaced Guevara and if you watched you saw him play more effectively going forward as the MLS All Stars came alive in the second half.

It was a good move by Bradley for a couple of reasons.

17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Bradley and Thornton have a great relationship. It was Bradley who put him on the team as the late replacement when he could have picked someone else. I imagine Zach was completely aware of the thought process.

I thought maybe we'd see the "standing ovation for Hartman" substitution made right at the end, but I think Bradley only was allowed seven subs, and he'd used them to get all of the field players into the game.

Maybe he was saving Martino and Thornton to sub in until the very end. If Hartman took a knock, enter Thronton. If not, let Martino have a few minutes to run around. No snub to Zach.