Guevara should be "the man" who takes the penalty kicks, not Mathis

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Guerra should be "the man" who takes the penalty kicks, not Mathis. He is missing too many and Metros should not miss more penalties in the playoffs. I've seemed Guevara taking penalties and he does it with style. Mathis is struggling once again and cant score from the penalty box. I admire the Metros because i used to live in New York, but please, give Guevara a chance. I think he could do it very well.

2. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Just like he did on Saturday?

3. oabedward

oabedward Member

Feb 21, 2002
    NJ
    Guevara SUCKS!

Guevara is all hype. He is a liability to the metrostars. They would be better off without him.

4. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Dec 2, 1998
    Re: Guevara SUCKS!

Finally someone said it. Guevara sucks! Bring back Andy Williams! He starts for Jamaica you know! He rules!

5. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is the most absurd thing I've heard on this forum! without Guevara, the Metros would not have gotten to where they are now. Also remember that Guevara was a huge factor in helping us get to the US Open Cup Final.

.......Looks like you don't watch too many Metros' games.

6. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Re: Re: Guevara SUCKS!

Is this a joke??

Andy Williams is garbage.... he only plays well against the Metros. So what if he plays for Jamaica?? Amado is the Honduran national team captain!!

Williams is not even a regular starter for the
    Fire. What MLS team wouldn't have Amado as a starter in their line-ups??

7. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ

Hype?? what Hype?? I had never heard of him before he got here.... the only hype was the hype he made when he stepped on the field with his play... hype is what Matthaus had before he came here and he didnt live up to it... no Amado wasn't the best player every single game but he certainly made a huge impact on this team... Do u even know what happened at the USOC semi vs. DCU???? If Amado didnt show up we probably would be watching DCU take on the Fire for the final instead of the Metros.. seriously- what more can u ask of a player?? Next time make the trip to the games before u make such an asanine comment.

8. locolos

locolos New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    New York

What the hell are you smoking man?

9. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Guevara SUCKS ???? No!

I second that.

Finding Guevara is one of the best achievements by coach Bradley!

10. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's quite a few people on this thread who don't know a wind-up when they see one.

11. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City

I second that. Without Guevara and Johnny Walker the Metros would have been worst than Dallas Burn. Guevara is the best playmaker of MLS right now, no doubt about it. LA Galaxy could use Guevara if you dont want him. He is a great player and love his Metro team. What a lack of respect is this?

12. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Guevara SUCKS!

Amen Brother! :)

13. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Guevara has not impressed on free kicks at all. Magee seems to take the best corner kicks which is one reason why I suggested on another thread he be given a chance on the PKs. No knock on Guevara but I do not see him putting fear into any goaltender.

14. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    i agree.... i would give someone else a chance at a PK next time if there is one.. i would also go with Magee, he seems like he's confident enough to put one in the back of the net...

15. Yeah, I remember that 40 yard free kick that he put on the boot of a streaking Wolnyniec to assist what will probably be the MLS "goal of the year". Yeah, that was not an impressive free kick at all.

16. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Re: Re: Guevara should be "the man" who takes the penalty kicks, not Mathis

Good point!! And the free kick goal against DCU in the USOC semi was also pretty but he is inconsistent. Against the burn on saturday he didnt hit a single decent corner kick... we only began to see decent service when Magee began taking them...

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Juskowiak should took the second penalty

18. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sasha Curcic.

19. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

That's true, with out Guevara posible metros don't will be in the place that is right know, but, leave him to go for a second penalty after miss the first one, is like looking for his funerals if he miss another one in the same game, you can't let that happing to no body in the world.

20. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Re: Re: Guevara should be "the man" who takes the penalty kicks, not Mathis

We are talking penalty here, p e n a l t i e s.

21. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    What's up with the Polish guy. I thought he was going to score a lots of goals. Let's see what happen.

22. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    juskowiak took 2 years off if i remember correctly, so he has to get back into form. Guevara is pretty damn good, but shouldn't take pk's... mathis is playing terrible right now, but maybe with a few lucky shots he'll get back on track. I'd continue to let mathis take the pk's though.

23. oabedward

oabedward Member

Feb 21, 2002
    NJ
    The Metrostars will not have any great achievements while Guevara is being relied on as the main playmaker.

So what if he is the Honduras Captain? Maybe he has better supporting players around him on the Honduras National team or their player pool is not very deep.

Guevara has the work rate but not the talent, creativity, and effectiveness to lead the Metrostars to a Championship.

Mark my words... The Metrostars will not make any great achievements while relying Guevara.

24. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    For the next PK, the ten Metros line up, about half on each side and start that long slow clap like Burt Reynolds in Mystery Alaska.

And Walker starts the walk up the field, claps are louder, he corsses the mid point, approached the 18, clapping is thunderous. He approaches the ball and holds up his hand - silence.

The other teams realises the gamble. If he misses there is no way he can make it back to his goal in time.
    JW ges ready and gives it his best.

Keeps know what other keeps fear the most, what they hate to go after better than anyone. They also have a real mighty kick. Yeah it's very dramatic and has a real freeze out all in poker players call quality to it.

But I really think tht first keep we pulled it on would definately miss. Not for all the time, just to really give the fans a show and put the fear into the other keep.
    This is not english football, follks. This is America and we have a wild sense of showmanship.

If PT Barnum was our coach we'd do it. And PT rarely lost at anything!

Tongue in cheeck but would be great fun to see!