Guess Which Soccer Player I Am (Pretending to Be)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by nancyb, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Tommo-Tommo

Tommo-Tommo New Member

Tony Sanneh? Don't know if he was ever involved in the Olympic set up or coaching, but right now he's the only one I can think of who is a defender with A League/MLS/Bundesliga experience.

2. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    It's Doyle:
    http://www.mustangsoccer.com/NewsItem.asp?NewsID=94

DETAILS
    2003 Appointed Technical Director of US Super Y League alongside former US Men’s National Team teammate Peter Vermes. Duties include the implementation of ODP Program with final say on all Youth National Team selections for boys and girls U14- U19.

2002 Reelected to US Soccer Board of Directors and appointed to the US Soccer Technical Committee with Bruce Arena (Men’s National Team Coach) and April Heinrichs (Women’s National Team Coach). Renewed contract as Technical Director of Mustang Soccer League.

2001 Announces retirement from the San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer. Retires with team record of games played (132), all time leading defensive goal scorer. Elected by peers to the US Soccer Board of Directors.

2000 Team captain of the SJ Earthquakes. Scored two spectacular goals in the home opener. Finished the season with four goals. Earned the highest US Soccer Coaching “A” License.

1999 Team captain, SJ Clash. Inducted to the California Youth Soccer Association Hall of Fame. Inducted to the University of San Francisco Hall of Fame. Reached milestone 100 games played for the MLS. Most game minutes played over four seasons with the San Jose Clash. Named Director of Coaching for Mustang Soccer (Danville) overseeing 5200+ kids.

1998 Team captain, SJ Clash. Elected by peers to the US Soccer BOD. Served on the US Soccer Board of Appeals. Acquired US Soccer Coaching “B” License.

1997 Named to the MLS West All-Star Team. Spokesperson for MLS Children’s Charities.

1996 First marquee player selected by the SJ Clash. Named captain. First defender to be named MLS Player of the Week. Named to and captained the West All-Star Team. League leading goal scoring defender. Voted Bic Tough Defender of the Year by MLS coaches. Honored as one of AT&T’s Best Eleven players in MLS.

1995 Captain, Atlanta Ruckus of the A-League. Led the Ruckus to the league finals by scoring three game winning shoot-out goals in the playoffs. Named best defender in the league.

1994 One of a handful of Americans ever to play in the prestigious German Bundesliga. Played for VfB Leipzig against such powerhouses as Bayern-Munich and Werder Bremen.

1993 Started all three matches of the US Cup, including historic win over England.

1992 Started all three matches of the US Cup, defeating Ireland, Portugal and tying Italy. Named one of the best defenders of the tournament.

1991 Helped the US to its first ever Gold Cup, scoring the game winning goal against Mexico. Named to All Tournament Team.

1990 Started against Italy and Austria in Italia ’90 (1990 World Cup). Named Budweiser Man of the Match against Italy in Rome Stadium. The first American player sold to a European Club, Oergryte IS of the Swedish Premier Division.

1989 Member of the first US National Team to qualify for the World Cup in 50 years.

1988 Played in the Seoul Olympic Games while a junior at USF. Scored a goal against the eventual gold medal winners, Russia.

1987 First National Team appearance was a must-win game against Canada to qualify for the Seoul Olympic Games. This 3-0 win sparked a resurgence of soccer in America. At USF, was named All American and finished third in the voting for the Herman Award, college soccers’ Heismann Award.

High School Graduated from Washington High School in Fremont, CA where his all time leading scoring record still stands. Named All League each year. Won the league championship as a senior.

Youth Soccer Played youth soccer in the Fremont City Soccer Club and won four state championships.

Family Married to Kaarin (1989) who was named most athletic female at WHS. Daughter Kate was born in 1992, son Jay was born in 1994.

3. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mario, you are right again. Congratulations.

It looks like Paul found the exact bio I used for my info.

4. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be a little harder to root out now.

I am not a native American, but I played for the US team. I never made a World Cup appearance, but I did play in qualifying games.

I had a successful coaching career after my NASL days, but, regrettably, my contract as a coach at a mid-western college was not renewed after experiencing some losing seasons. At the start of my college coaching career I had quite a bit of success, compiling 8 winning seasons and winning two conference championships.

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No clue! Got any more hints? Chico Borja? hahaha

6. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also was an NASL coach and player.

7. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know!

Kyle Rote, Jr.!

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alan Green

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Ok, I was born in Germany, but I attended high school and college in the US. I coached at a Division I college.

10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are Willy Roy and you just stepped down at Northern Illinois University.

11. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mario - you're blowing the competition away. 3 for 3. Did I get my facts wrong about the end of my coaching career? I get confused these days.

12. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An easy one. I bucked the trend in the US and headed off to Germany to play pro ball after high school. I've been kicking around the lower division, but not moving up in the German football world.

I've appeared for US youth teams.

13. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cory Gibbs ??

14. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close, but no cigar.

15. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sorta forgot Cory has been with the Seniors.. :(

16. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I was neither born nor raised in North America, yet I've been a US citizen my whole life.

I never represented the US at the youth level, I never played organized soccer outside of the US, and I never played more than half a season in the top flight.

Yet I played for the USMNT.

Who am I?

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of course you are Grover Gibson from Hylton High School in Virginia (Prince William County).

18. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Eesh, this is nasty. Born abroad (military parents?), moved back home at some time before he took up organized soccer (late teens?) and then didn't spend any significant time in MLS (or A-league, if you're going back farther).

Beats me.

The Germany one could be a lot of people. There are quite a few Americans in Germany.

19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Earnie Stewart

20. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

21. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not Earnie Stewart because he played more than half a season in the top flight.

22. revfan11

revfan11 Member

Jul 10, 2001
    David Regis?

23. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regis didn't become a US citizen until shortly before the 98 World Cup, plus, he's played top flight in France more than 1/2 a season.

I have to think this is someone who played for the US in the period between 1950 and 1990.

I wonder if North America is a clue - as in someone born in South or Central America?

24. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Seagroves?

25. nancyb

nancyb Member