Guess the Mystery Player

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Z010 Union, Aug 8, 2002.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've gotta be freaking kidding me. You'd take some untested Belgain kid over Tyson Nunez? Did you hear what he did to DCU? Or see what he did to the National team? Didn't he score on a header in one of those games?

Nunez alters the game, he changes everything about how a team plays you AND HE SCORES. Now I don't think it is Nunez, but if you'd prefer Jacues the Belgian you're nuts. Or you're 60 years old and English.

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you. It's like an endless game of charades.

3. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nunez would be killer.

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I saw what he did, don't take my hyperbole too seriously!

Hell, he'd be better than what we have now, of that there's no question. But we need some size for pete's sake!

5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    What could be better than Nunez 'shouldering' Lalas or Petke in the "family jewels" and the ref waving play on because that is his actual shoulder level? Nunez's height is of great advantage to his physical play because he always hits below the belt! :)

6. DCUnited401

DCUnited401 New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    germantown, md
    i'm not sure about this but does anyone remember what ben olsen said sometime last year? at the time he was still injured, but was still trying to move to a club in europe. then i heard somewhere that he said that he was putting his dreams of europe on hold until he can help united become the club it once was. i don't think he ment that he was only going to europe once united wins another mls cup, but that when they have a reasonably good season he is going to go to europe.

7. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Well, right now he has to play himself back into the player he was and get back on to the national team. That will only happen in America. Once he's 100% fit he can look overseas again.

Dave

8. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    I agree that Nunez would be an awesome addition. But I thought he's newly under contract. And he may be playing Central America but I bet he's not cheap.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice United took a short corner in it's last game? I haven't seen them do that in years. But with our height I think we should see a lot more of them.

9. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Yeah, that's what I THOUGHT before I saw him leaping over everyone to win head balls and score through the air. Like him or not (and there's something to dislike in a guy that breaks Lazo's nose), the guy can play. IMHO, he's better than Ruiz. He would get a head on more crosses than the rest of our team combined ... and that includes Nelsen, Pope, McKinley, Moreno ... yeah, combined. We're talking NBA ups.

He's also fast, so he'd get open more than Curtis does on the counter. But the best thing about him is that he's totally crafty and a pure assassin when he gets a shot, much like Twellman. Also, he seems to be able to create a shot very well, even when quite tightly marked.

I doubt we get him, but if we did ... he'd start no matter who was healthy.

-Tron

10. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    As i stated in another thread:

Ray wants to bring in a senior international forward. He will be a "squad player" to bolster the front line for the rest of the season.

If he needs to get a work visa, when can we expect him to be available to provide this bolstering?

What was wrong with the bolstering the two Brazilians or Dalglish could have provided if they were brought in earlier in the season?

I admit that I am frustrated by this season and the seemingly misguided personnel moves. DCU has an open roster spot so I guess someone is coming in. I seem to remember something about deck chairs and the Titanic, wake me when its over.

11. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm holding out hope that it is Ang from Korea...but I'll take Nuñez instead.

12. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nuñez would be a fantastic move

13. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    From Aug. 7's practice reported on Unitedmania.
    http://unitedmania.mlsfansites.com/...65&PHPSESSID=081cd5b820f5afdee13eb56e38244c21

[On the mystery player]
    Under current MLS rules he would be considered a Senior International?
    “Yes.”

- Have we seen him before?
    “No. He’s been out for a while. He’s been playing in a foreign league right now. It’s a good possibility. He’s not saying he’s the answer in terms of a spearhead up front. But, he could come in and help the cause for the rest of the season. He would bolster our attacking play as a squad player. And hopefully he would be able to get into the team quickly.”

- Is he a national team player?
    “He is a national team player . . . We could get it pulled out in the very near future.”

Does this make anyone more or less likely??

14. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fearful of these statements...

Let us look at the facts:

We are "familiar" with his name
    Hasn't been here for a while
    Playing in a foreign league
    Central or South American
    National team player
    Senior International
    "Not expected to be the spearhead up front"

RDA? GOD PLEASE NO!!!

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Like my liver hasn't taken a beating this season as it is. But I think RDA is playing in the A-League!

16. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for ending that bit of speculation. My recent streak of pessimism and cynicism about DC United could only come up with the most horrible conclusion possible. I was considering the virtues of drinking before 9am on a Friday after coming up with that one.

17. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    It won't be Nunez. Ray stated that the player was from a country that did surprisingly well at the World Cup, Honduras was not at the World Cup hence no Nunez. I think it will be a player from Ecuador, Paraguay or Uruguay.

18. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Brazil did pretty good too! ;)

19. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Please don't let it be that tall ugly dude on Uruguay, Abrieu (I think)?

He was trying to goat Pope into a fight in the friendly at RFK.
    Not to mention the Uruguayan fans were quite annoying with their "Who-who-what" chants.

(I know they were chanting Ur-u-guay, but it sounded like who-who-what)

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my guess: Hernan Medford.

-familiar name
    -national team player
    -Costa Rica did earn 4 points and only lost out on goal differnce
    -Central American player
    -forward but not the guy you would want to "put all your eggs in one basket"
    -SI (34 years old)
    -playing for Saprissa
    -has not been here in a while

He fits the profile??????

21. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Sebastian Abreu. I believe he has been playing for Cruz Azul in Mexico, so that would fit with him being from a South or Central American league. And they didn't get out of the group phase.

22. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why bother bringing in a player who isn't expected to be the killer striker we need, is going to take up an SI slot on the roster, and who is likely to be in the twilight of his career? It hardly seems worth the effort.

23. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, from Ray's comments, it seems like someone to come in and help salvage 2002. With no promises for 2003, so he might bet cut loose if a better SI option comes along after the season.

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is another reason I "Hitched my wagon" to Medford. He fits that profile. The only part that misses here is that early on Ray said that as a favor to him the player would come in. I'm not aware of any Ray/Medford connection.

25. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    It is all a smoke screen! Ray is trying to find the leak! He is saying SA/CA but meaning European...Perhaps Nuno Gomez or Morientes (especially considering that because he "almost" went to Tottenham he's really desperate...)...Or the coup of all coups Ronaldo! Wait Ronaldo is from SA so he is out...Perhaps Klose? Or Pierre van Hooijdonk?

Hmmmm