Guess FIFA didn't do a quick review

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by HoosierToon, Jun 20, 2010.

1. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our friend from Mali is a linesman for the Italy/New Zealand match.

I hate this man so very very much.......

2. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    I still don't see why it's such a big deal. I don't think he was bad enough to be kicked out of the world cup. He didn't have a good game but there was nothing that warranted this kind of outrage.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's the top referee in African (as shocking as that is).

They were never going to dismiss him from the world cup, he just won't be the head referee again.

4. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere in the United States Tim Donaghy prepares to get this license in order to referee in Africa.

5. Szico

Szico New Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It said on ESPN's ticker that he received a poor rating after the review. So the review has happened. Maybe they'll suspend him on Monday.

Twitter says he's the 4th official for ITA-NZL.

6. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Aruba
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably want to go back and read EVERY SINGLE press report of the game. Try skysports, bbc for starters.

To me it is the definition of a bad refereeing performance when the decisions made are decisive to the outcome. Calling back a winning goal? About as bad as it gets.

7. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    I don't give a shit what the press says, they're the press. Clueless bunch of morons.

8. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's unfortunate, as respected, invested, professionals who share their opinions in print, on television and on audio media around the world on such matters really, really like you personally. Even Tommy Smith likes you, but he's a moron.

9. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Globalusation, what exactly does count as a horribly refereed match to you? Does the ref need to actually clock somebody in the chin?

10. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    FIFA is sending a terrible message by standing by this guy. He should be banished from this tournament. It's odd...as Americans, we're so used to sports like American football or basketball or baseball where officials are held immediately responsible for their decisions and - in extreme or blatant cases - the leagues go out of their ways to distance themselves from the offending officials or otherwise declare their rulings erroneous. FIFA just won't acknowledge errors in their sport (if they did, the Findley YC would be overturned), and that's a damn shame for the integrity of the game.

11. Harrisand11

Harrisand11 New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do VERY quick reviews. Assessors are actually directing video crews during the match as to what they want to review and an assessor will go over the match with a crew right after the match.

Also, he wasn't the assistant ref, he was the 4th official.

Still shouldn't even be there though.

12. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think FIFA is 'standing by' him. He most likely will not ref another game and any duties he does fulfill will be as a linesmen. It can be seen as a demotion honestly.

If FIFA did not admit fault with the French handball I wouldnt be surprised if they keep quiet on this one.

13. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and then today he let in a new zealand goal that was offside. the guy is unbeliveably awful and will probably make me appreciate MLS refs now. moving him to a linesman role for the rest of the tournament isn't the answer. in the spirit of inclusiveness, should we find the best ref in antarctica now? i mean, they're not represented in the refereeing. there's no american? but they gotta have this guy there as a token ref. I now don't think he was paid off, i just think he sucks as a ref. if FIFA wants to have african referees at the world cup, then they need to train the everloving hell out of them so they meet the standard. otherwise, what's the point of playing this tournament. oh nevermind, blatter doesn't care about the integrity of the game.

14. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If he's being paid to officiate a WC game - even as a linesman - then FIFA is standing by him.

15. AOUSMNTjjchurchill

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    Finn Harps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the fourth official

16. MyFavoritePlayer

MyFavoritePlayer New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Boston/Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA definitely is NOT standing by this guy. They gave him a "poor" review and demoted him to 4th official. If you're still unconvinced, we'll know for sure on Monday when FIFA makes an official statement.

17. MyFavoritePlayer

MyFavoritePlayer New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Boston/Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you made a mistake at work and you were demoted to a lower earning position, would you say that your employer was "standing by you"?

18. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if i burned the place down, if i misrepresent my company and lose an account, if my numbers aren't even up to snuff, i get canned. how is it that this doesn't translate? what the guy did was cataclysmic. he directly effected the outcome of a game that he's sworn to officiate to make sure the fair outcome happens. thats a failure, end of.

19. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sepp Blatter gave his right and left nutsacks to ensure a World Cup was played in Africa. Following Koman Coulibaly's first ever World Cup match as a referee, do you really think Blatter's FIFA will publicly toy with the favorite ref of the head of the African Confederation of Football (CAF)?

20. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are going to parallel this to the business world most companies do not do immediate firings anymore. They investigate, gather information, discuss and then talk with the employee in question. 90% of that process is private until a decision is reached and not carried in the press.

That being said FIFA will most likely let it all blow over imo.

21. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sadly this is spot on. blatter's agenda is more important that accountability and integrity. at least it's not surprising

22. threadkiller

threadkiller New Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    idk, I was kind of hoping FIFA would keep him on. Maybe we could draw him in a knockout game? Looked pretty obvious the guy was incompetent not corrupt. He blew the free kick dead well before we scored, or it even became obvious we'd have a good chance. Horrible refs can be a bonus when they're bungling calls in your favor. Would have to figure this guy would give the USA the benefit of the doubt to avoid any further s#@t storms if we had him again. Seriously, how much worse could he screw us over a 2nd time? Now we're sure to get a crew with a clean slate of awful calls against us at their disposal.

23. rachel83

rachel83 Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Russia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had posted this yesterday in the history of corruption thread, but I'll post it here, too:

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wo...ets-poor-rating--fbintl_ro-referee061910.html

So FIFA has not made a public statement yet.

As numerous people have pointed out, he was a 4th official today.