Guerin Sportivo World Player of the Year awards 1979-1986

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Vegan10, Apr 18, 2015.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #77 PuckVanHeel, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    That is maybe the case but to take your Rummenigge example: he's despite more competition from South American forwards even doing better here so far after 1981 (or 1982) as was the case with the Ballon d'Or lists after 1981/1982. He is I guess one of the cases that I meant with:
    "And [Ballon d'Or] tends to place a player lower over time when the player has done/won things in a year that doesn't surpass what he has done/won before in his career, even if his form is somewhat similar or comparable (in the reflections for Ballon d'Or you can also occasionally read that they become tired of voting for a player, and that the player has done nothing new compared with earlier years)."

I can imagine that even in a 'Europeans only' scenario the geographical spread would still be a bit more limited as with the Ballon d'Or (everything else equal ofc).

Hopefully you understand what I mean with the part in italics (e.g. a player can reach goal-tallies that he also had earlier in his career, and win team trophies that don't outmatch or add much to earlier accomplishments despite somewhat similar form; voters become tired of voting for the same player and give another Golden Ball for something that is not new). That also opens up possibilities for new names (like Strachan, Elkjaer). Cheers.

Also Blokhin for ex. What do a few domestic cups add to what he did earlier? (winning CWC + wondergoal in european supercup)

Maybe I'm wrong though and to some level centralization/consolidation tendencies are naturally part of football. For ex.
    http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.aspx?id=269458

2. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    One observation for 1984: No South Americans in the all-star team.

3. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    In 1985 the method was the same as the previous year but more correspondents were added. This time it reached 110 journalists from 43 different nationalities, making this the most varied in choosing a global winner. However, this time there would be no all-star team selections chosen. For 1986 there would be, but for some reason this year there was not.

Michel Platini topped all the awards again. He led Juventus to the European Cup (now Champions League) and Intercontinental championship in Tokyo. He also captained France to the Artemio Franchi trophy against Uruguay in the contest of Europe's winner vs South America's champion. He repeated all the accolades and prizes that a player could possibly win: Ballon d'Or, World Soccer, Onze d'Or and, of course, Guerin Sportivo d'Or for the best player of the year. His main competitor, Maradona, trailed well behind by 57 votes in Guerin Sportivo's poll.

The top 5 for Guerin Sportivo in 1985 based on first place votes:
    1.) Platini 77 points
    2.) Maradona 20 points
    3.) Francescoli 4 points
    4.) Rummenigge 2 points
    Elkjaer 2 points

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Julio César Romero, South America's footballer of the year, was totally disregarded as a main nominee. On the other hand, Francescoli, runner-up to this award, received 4 top votes.

But there can be no doubt that Platini would have retained his world throne in 1985.

1986 would be the last edition...

Gregoriak and Once repped this.
  4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I do see what you mean there. So it's unlikely indeed that a Dalgish suddenly matches Rummenigge for votes if the South Americans are not there (or gets a couple of votes for best player, like for the Ballon d'Or).

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Good work again Vegan.

A bit disappointing that there were no XI's chosen this time, but still interesting. Aside from Platini backing up his Ballon d'Or and Onze d'Or (Maradona was eligible for the latter, and was voted 3rd) it's interesting to note indeed Francescoli getting about/exactly as many votes as best player in 1985 as he got for being in the best XI in 1984, and also Eric Batty picking Platini's French team-mate Jean Tigana as the best player.

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    There are more Uruguayan voters though aren't there....

As per Puck's link above for 1985 (with breakdowns of each vote, as opposed to what is on rsssf) the top 5 for the Ballon d'Or had been Platini, Ekjaer, Schuster, Laudrup and Rummenigge so Schuster features more minimally in the Guerin Sportivo poll and Laudrup not at all - hard to gauge the voters wider views with only a vote for one player though - Platini received all but 3 of the first place votes for the Ballon d'Or too (with no Maradona involved in that, or Francescoli for that matter though all his votes in this poll came from South America).

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No English voters picking Platini is maybe a touch surprising although there were only 3 of them voting this time.

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Africa and South America (except Brazil) as well as Spain are not in his camp too.

9. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Thanks for the info, still seems strange to me that because of a few good international games but despite playing in a low level leagues in the year he gets 3rd in Ballon d'or? Its a bit like the 50s and early 60s when there was a big impact of certain games. i.e Yashin 1963 match.

10. John Baldessari

Mar 21, 2015
    #86 John Baldessari, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Maybe a silly question but do you know were all of those international voters able to watch every game of Maradona and Platini esp. in the Serie A? Also what is L'albo D'oro?

[​IMG]

11. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    L'albo d'Oro is in reference to the list of winners covered in gold.

As for the first question, that is impossible to know, but my guess would be not, especially for league games. Italian coverage should have been able to view them equally but it's already established that Guerin Sportivo awarded Maradona as the best player domestically for season 84/85 (see photo of Maradona above with the award) but Platini has been the greater winner this year, which has swayed perceptions in his favor.

12. John Baldessari

Mar 21, 2015
    Yes because I know the 84/85 season is regarded as Maradona's best and one of the best seasons of anyone all time, despite him not winning anything with the team. Also for the L'albo D'oro would you happen to know how many journalists covered these votings?

13. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    That is not a separate award, just a recount of the top vote getters in each edition of the awards given by Guerin Sportivo. If you check the thread from the start you will see it is very well explained by Vegan how the poll is conducted and how many voters participated each time.

Vegan10 and John Baldessari repped this.
  14. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    In 1986 Diego Maradona returned to the top by inspiring Argentina to WC victory. He won all the accolades and prizes that a player could possibly win: World Soccer, Onze d'Or, El Mundo's South American footballer, United Press International Athlete of the Year, and Guerin Sportivo d'Or for the best player of the year.

[​IMG]

This time 96 journalists were involved from all over the globe and Maradona nearly obtained every single vote (90 out of 96).

The top 6 for Guerin Sportivo in 1986 based on first place votes:
    1.) Maradona 90 points
    2.) Altobelli 2 points
    3.) Lineker 1 points
    Burruchaga 1 points
    Butragueno 1 points
    Ian Rush 1 points

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The All-Star team or best XI in the world in 1986 was the following:
    Dasaev; Josimar, Julio Cesar, M. Olsen, Amoros; Burruchaga, Matthaeus, Maradona; Fernandez, Belanov, Butragueno.

If we go by the previous method of how they reached their conclusions, then the top five most voted in the best XI for 1986 was:

1.) Maradona 90 votes
    2. Amoros 61 votes
    3.) Burruchaga 48 votes
    4.) Josimar 44 votes
    5.) Belanov 41 votes

Belanov, France Football's European Ballon d'Or, never would have stood a chance in a global award.

This would be the last year that this Guerin Sportivo awards apparently were in circulation.

I hope it's been informative and fun. Thanks to all that followed and contributed with their views.
    Cheers!

MJWizards, Gregoriak, msioux75 and 4 others repped this.
  15. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting again Amoros is so high. Also Belanov is the second highest European which is fair, I remember in the BBCs coverage of the 2014 World Cup, Gary Linker moaning that the hat trick Belanov scored in the second round won him the Ballon d'or instead of him.......... he seemed to ignore the fact Belanov was part of the very strong Dynamo Kiev team that won the CWC dismantling Atletico Madrid in the final......

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The lack of votes for Lineker is bizarre to me.

He scored 30 goals in the league in 1985-6, was top scorer at the World Cup and then made a strong start in Spain on his way to 20 goals in the league.

How can anyone have put Butragueno ahead of him?

17. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Yeah, I don't know, mate.

Edit: Maradona received 95 all-star inclusions, not making the list of one journalist from Czechoslovakia. Guerin Sportivo got their counts wrong for him.

Pipiolo repped this.
  18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He was also fifth in the 1986 Ballon d'Or and second in 1986 Onze d'Or.
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/europa-poy86.html

Elkjaer Larsen takes once again a steep nosedive, as he did in 1984 and 1985 (meanwhile in Ballon d'Or he was third and second in those two years).

Zavarov takes a hit too, as do Rush, Lineker, Van Basten, Ducadam.

Altobelli, Butragueno, Matthaus receive a considerable upgrade.

19. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    #95 Once, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    That is curious indeed.
    I was also somewhat surprised to see Valdano so low in the voting in comparison with Burruchaga. After all, though both were very important players for Argentina to win the WC, it looked to me like Valdano had had a much more impressive 85-86 season than Burruchaga. Could it be that both Valdano and Lineker may have suffered a visible loss of form during the beginning of the 86-87 season and that affected the opinion of the voters to some extent?

Was Careca a bit overlooked as well?

Pipiolo and AD78 repped this.
  20. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    @Vegan10
    Do you know who gave Ian Rush his single vote as player of the year? According to the list, Maradona got 91 votes, not 90, and Rush got none.

According to the list there were five voters not picking Maradona as player of the year:
    The strange case of the Czechoslovakian man that does not even have Maradona in his team of the year and gives his top vote to Lineker.
    The other four are three Italians, two of whom vote Altobelli and the other picks Burruchaga, and a Spaniard who takes countryman Butragueño in the top spot.

I dont know about you guys, but picking Burru as world player of the year for 1986 sounds to me like a MASSIVE little statement ;) (also not having Maradona in your team of the year for 1986, by the way..)

Pipiolo repped this.
  21. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Totally agree with Careca, good club year and good WC. Also agree Valdano had a better 85-86 season (winning the UEFA cup & la liga) and WC than Burruchaga, would Burruchaga even be metioned had he not scored the winner?

Linker had a decent start to his career with Barca backed which was showed in his ballon d'or placing, different panel for this one I suppose.

22. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Had he not scored that goal, he would have certainly not gotten that first place vote (that journalist would have in all likeliness picked another player to execute his little statement...). Also, I highly doubt he would have featured in even a third of as many teams of the year as he did.

AD78 repped this.
  23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's interesting in that Burruchaga did average about a point a game more than Valdano according to France Footballs grades:
    http://www.everyfourthyear.com/worldcup1986/
    But I remember Gregoriak started a thread in which he was allocating points according to the stats and Valdano scored IIRC the highest out of all forwards at the World Cup.

I think both were useful, but perhaps were in the shadow of Maradona - on the other hand they wouldn't have been in the winning team without him probably and Burruchaga's famous moment did come after a Maradona pass.

I guess the World Cup and the final goal as the clincher did have an influence for Burruchaga's votes but I suppose he was in a good phase of his career playing for Nantes as they came 2nd too and he was the 1986 Foreign Player of the Year (not a huge amount of competition for that perhaps):
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/franpoy.html
    I'm not 100% sure but think this goal might be in the 85/86 season in a 2-0 win over the eventual champions PSG:

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #100 PDG1978, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    I think the total inclusions listed was about 50 short of what it should be if I myself subtracted the numbers correctly, so not sure why that was. There are two choices for teams of XI from one nation but I assume those should be included for each player (one for Argentina, one for Denmark) and anyway that'd leave Maradona 4 short (for him it's possible they mixed up those who voted for him as best player with the total incusions in an XI I suppose). Laudrup has one more than he's listed as having I think (6 rather than 5; being one from Italy, one from Portugal, one from Uruguay, one from Brazil and two from England including in the team of Danes). I didn't check for example whether Sivebaek's one inclusion as listed is indeed for the team of Danes vote.

I think Laudrup possibly lost some votes during the start to 86/87 (injured/not in great form) actually although if people would place him as forward rather than midfielder he might have had a big task with several options available to voters in attack anyway. I get the impression, as with Platini, his 1985 portion of 85/86 might have been the best part but he'd have been seen playing very well (in the home leg; and I'd say well even if without a lot of threat near the goal in the away leg) vs Barcelona in the European Cup:

Maybe Cruyff in 1984 was also hindered by having not played after the summer. In the end I think I only noticed the one inclusion for 1982. World Soccer readers giving him more recognition then and in 1984, but that's a wider poll I suppose.

I should think for 1987 if this had carried on then Lineker and Butragueno might have retained a decent portion of votes wheras I guess Belanov and Elkjaer not so much or at all. Careca maybe, having moved to Napoli and started scoring Serie A goals would have come even more into contention? Gullit and Van Basten's fame would have grown more for that vote I guess too.