Guerin Sportivo World Player of the Year awards 1979-1986

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Vegan10, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    It was taken from El Gráfico but the original source must be in Brazilian archives that may be digitally available but difficult to track down (I think).

2. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011

Although I believe I shared this in the past on another thread, I’ll place it here as it supports the views of Guerin Sportivo for the 1979 year.

Kevin Keegan and Diego Maradona were both voted as the only footballer’s in a Sweden newspaper of the best athletes of the year.

Sweden’s sports newspaper of “Idrotsbladett” used the votes of 36 journalists from different countries to pick the best of each discipline.

9ABBA833-0A46-4829-BF1A-BF7223FFC226.jpeg

El Gráfico 1979 posted this information.

3. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
  4. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    This was an interesting find that Guerin Sportivo published in the beginning of 1993.

The Portuguese magazine “A Bola” received the honor of awarding FIFA’s world player of the year awards in 1992, which included foreigners.

In the article below the final results of 1992 had Van Basten as the winner, but that is not new, but what is interesting is to see the full list which usually can only be found with partial results listed online, like with the RSSSF or Wikipedia pages.

Another point that I read that was revealing was how the previous two winners, according to GS, was Maradona in 1990 and Matthäus in 1991. With Matthäus it is well documented that he took officially the first prize but it seems that the 1990 year may have been an unofficial award, which has been omitted apparently from the records.

742016E9-AE20-45F0-B646-1DCAD6E8549C.jpeg
    1B025067-E418-4E4F-BE52-581B67D598A1.jpeg AB8EBE8D-DEA9-4138-929D-D7243460CE4D.jpeg 1A86BCB9-5FB2-4265-9577-B9D4F9871C3C.jpeg 4A51EE25-4B29-4301-AA51-D8C8EB723A4A.jpeg

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/fifa-awards.html

5. MJWizards

MJWizards Member

Aug 17, 2019
    In the rsssf link there is no 1990 winner...but GS said that Maradona won in 1990...o_O

6. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    The IFFHS, since 1988, had in 1990 Matthäus 1 and Maradona 2, but according to GS this FIFA award started in 1990, with Maradona taking the first prize. However, no where can this information be found. For those conspiracy theorists, Maradona being at odds with FIFA at that stage, may simply have been shunned aside and eliminated from the records.

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is simply incorrect and misleading.

As you should know by now, the direct predecessor to the FIFA thing was the IFFHS vote among the same voter pool (the managers). Matthaus won this in 1990.

"FIFA with General Secretary Sepp Blatter asked the IFFHS to conduct this Award for THE FIFA WORLD PLAYER from 1991."

To pretend now it is something else is just misleading.

8. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Mate, according to GS, this FIFA award had only been handed out previously twice in 1990 and 1991, respectively. Whether GS made an error is unknown, but the IFFHS seemed to be another distinction since it started in 1988. Now there is only two viable possibilities here: Either GS made an error or the original FIFA award commenced in 1990 but was scrapped, altered or eliminated. This second option would not be out of bounds because it is highly unlikely that FIFA would want to award Maradona a prize in the first months of 1991 for the year of 1990, when not only was he going to be banned from world football, but you are well aware that Maradona had declared FIFA as corrupt after WC90 and I see very unlikely that FIFA would want to grant any of their awards in person to this man that made such blatant claims. In fact FIFA suspended Maradona twice in the timespan of 3 years (1991-1994).

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Or Guerin Sportivo had just some Moggi/Napoli/Maradona friends in their ranks... That is not even a theory. Someone like Giorgio Tosatti was for years on Moggi his payroll.

IFFHS is not beyond reproach but it had the blessing of the FIFA (and their sponsors such as Adidas). It was without question the direct predecessor before FIFA themselves took over. There were after 1990 no further IFFHS votes for world player. The voter pool remained the same.

10. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    The same Moggi/Napoli clan that abandoned Maradona after WC90...?

I didn’t see any claims until February of 1993 that Maradona had obtained the 1990 award, by then when he was no longer affiliated with the club. There was simply no coverage and everything seemed to be censured right away, assuming an award existed.

The truth is FIFA were never going to hand Maradona any prize after his slanderous claims that the WC90 draw had been rigged — an infraction that almost denied him participation — with FIFA publicly stating he should shut up, and then afterwards claiming that the tournament had been corrupt.

This same FIFA that is judicially known to have been corrupt then invented in 2000 a ridiculous internet fan poll for the best player of the past century, won by Maradona, only to then invent a separate award held by the committee to award Pelé after the results fell into Maradona’s favor.

11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It was the same FIFA who used FIFA money to release Maradona from his Napoli contract and with Blatter brokering/forcing a deal, so that he could play for Sevilla.

But sigh... I'm not going to redo all this stuff again.

Show Spoiler
    18/07/1992

Selling the golden goose - Football

Here comes the bizarrest twist yet to the Maradona story. We now have an alliance to daunt the strongest heart: Diego Maradona and Joao Havelange, the autocratic president of Fifa and the most powerful man in football. The two men hated each other for years. ``When he dies, no one will worry," Maradona once announced publicly. Now, as Marseilles negotiate for his services and Naples scream that they have a right to their boy, or failing that, a right to pounce on Pounds 3.5 million, Havelange intervenes in an extraordinary and unprecedented fashion. ``I consider Maradona the greatest player of the last ten years," he said. ``He made a decisive contribution to the last two World Cups. He must play where he likes without conditions."

Maradona, who has always held such a view himself, said: ``I can be useful to Fifa. Havelange will not tolerate another season of inactivity for me."

Useful to Fifa? You bet. The 1994 World Cup, in the United States, is the most colossal gamble ever made by a leading sporting body. Fifa needs every advantage to make the thing work, and the biggest name in football is the strongest card it possesses. Maradona is nothing less than Fifa's golden goose.

-------

23/07/1992

Maradona too valuable to lose

Joao Havelange, president of the world soccer's governing body (Fifa) said that Diego Maradona was "too valuable to lose" and promised on Tuesday to find a solution to his contract dispute. Havelange said Fifa was prepared to mediate between Maradona and Napoli to end the [...]
    http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/digitised/issue/straitstimes19920723-1

08/07/1994

FIFA boss admits he shielded Diego

FIFA president Joao Havelange told a Spanish paper yesterday that he made personally sure that Argentinian Diego Maradona [...]
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/garrincha-overrated-dribbler.1984542/page-3

The main point is though what has been said in post #482.

It's misleading to pretend something else; IFFHS had direct FIFA backing.

12. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011

FIFA boss shielded Maradona ? Haha... don’t make me laugh, they ended his career virtually at the age of 30, with all those suspensions and only used his image to propagandize their WC94 and then gave him the boot. And the Moggi/Napoli connection only protected him as long as they felt needed, once they had enough of him they too turned their backs on him and he was kicked out of Italy.

But yes, sigh... it’s pointless in arguing with a forum member that seems agitated that Guerin Sportivo published an article in early 1993 that goes against his views.

13. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    L’Equipe at the end of 1979 had its reporters choose the best athletes from every discipline and Kevin Keegan was voted the top footballer.

El Informador (Mexican newspaper)
    32BA7CCE-90CA-49C1-ABF5-1B8D2BDD4B74.jpeg

14. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    For 1980 the agency of France-Presse in Paris elected through their journalists the top athletes of the year and Diego Maradona was the top voted footballer.

F66A56D7-09D5-4AF4-BC75-871C4A26F6F6.png

For ABC Madrid, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge was their footballer of the year in 1980 in a list of the top athletes of every discipline.
    EF29103D-3031-442F-9F76-D7D06743CDDE.jpeg

Source: El Informador (Mexico) and ABC Madrid

15. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011

For 1988 the best Latin American athletes were chosen by the agency of AFP with Diego Maradona as the top footballer of the year.

El Informador (Mexico)
    D9D6F8A4-B42F-4967-838F-36F1B4080BB0.jpeg

16. MJWizards

MJWizards Member

Aug 17, 2019
    @Vegan10 do you have Guerin article for FIFA World Player 1993? I would like to see if they published the full rankings and not just the top 10.

17. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Yes, I will check and let you know.

MJWizards repped this.
  18. MJWizards

MJWizards Member

Aug 17, 2019
    thanks mate!

19. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Edit: This is the Balón d’Or voting. I will see if the FIFA one exists.

4B956275-001D-4939-B636-2F672D7D10B4.jpeg

The list falls in line with online sources that are available.

Legolas10 and MJWizards repped this.
  20. MJWizards

MJWizards Member

Aug 17, 2019
    FranceFoot2 is France Football basically. It was the friday supplement of France Football, it lasted from the 70s to at least the mid 80s.
    Now, was this some kind of Award like "El Grafico" one or it was just a random cover statement by FF2?

Legolas10 and Vegan10 repped this.
  21. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    #496 Vegan10, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
    It appeared to be similar to the 1979 Guerin Sportivo player of the year award, with only the magazine choosing their pick without using foreign correspondents.

Edit: I think as GS did in 1979, the editors of staff of FF2 were honoring their player of the year in 1980. I do not know if this type of award was only handed out once or continued until the supplement of FF concluded.

22. MJWizards

MJWizards Member

Aug 17, 2019
    There is some kind of ranking or just the winner?

23. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    It’s just the winner with a few pages dedicated to the player as was the case with Guerin Sportivo.

MJWizards repped this.
  24. MJWizards

MJWizards Member

Aug 17, 2019

So i counted all the points of Guerin 1983 Award...those are the results

56 - Falcao
    51 - Rummenigge
    50 - Zico
    45 - Platini
    40 - Cabrini
    27 - Maradona
    23 - Junior
    22 - Gerets
    21 - Robson
    19 - Forster, Dasaev
    14 - Hysen
    13 - Socrates
    12 - Shilton
    11 - Rossi, Magath
    10 - Briegel, Conti, Lerby, Pfaff, Stielike
    9 - Kaltz, Passarella, Vierchowod, Olsen, Strachan
    8 - Scirea, Schumacher
    7 - Gentile, Rush
    6 - Tresor
    5 - Dalglish, Simovic, Schuster, Simonsen, Vercauteren
    4 - Diogo, Giordano, Peruzovic, Stein
    3 - Brady, Eder, Fillol, Gomes, Lawrenson, Stefanescu, Voller, Strack
    2 - Boniek, Butcher, Collovati, Chivadze, Dremmler, Hoddle, Giresse, Jakubek, Meeuws, Leandro, Littbarski, Olsen M, Oscar, Pezzey, Righetti, Rougvie, Stapleton, Stromberg, Whiteside, Tardelli, Egli
    1 - Amoros, Assad, Buljan, Bossis, Baltcha, Carrasco, Cerezo, Corneliusson, De Leon, Demianenko, Ernst, Elkjaer, Francescoli, Houtmann, Gullit, Gordillo, Miller, McLeish, Millecamps, McGrain, Morena, Neal, Nicholas, Nylasi, Rednik, Rolff, Rodriguez, Sansom, Susic, Wilkins, Zmuda

Paulo Cardoso, Buyo and Vegan10 repped this.
  25. MJWizards

MJWizards Member

Aug 17, 2019

So i counted also all the points for 1984 Guerin Award, here are the results

70 - Platini
    48 - Rummenigge
    47 - Rush
    44 - Briegel
    38 - Tigana
    37 - Cabrini
    32 - Junior
    29 - Forster
    26 - Schumacher
    24 - Olsen M
    23 - Bossis
    20 - Falcao, Robson
    19 - Souness
    18 - Elkjaer
    16 - Vierchowod
    15 - Conti
    14 - Chalana
    13 - Giresse
    12 - Passarella, Maceda
    10 - Shilton
    9 - Dasaev
    8 - Battiston, Fillol, Scifo
    7 - Maradona
    6 - Clausen, Grobbelaar, Hateley
    5 - Zico
    4 - Burruchaga, Francescoli, Gordillo, Neal, Scirea, Joao Pinto
    3 - Arconada, Amoros, Butragueno, Cerezo, Lerby, Stielike, Schuster, Whelan
    2 - Altobelli, Bochini, Bergomi, Baley, Camacho, Collovati, Di Bartolomei, Olsen J, Jordao, Rossi, Tardelli, Tricella, Tancredi, Wilkins, Voller
    1 - Arnesen, Boniek, Barnes, Bento, Ceulemans, Carrasco, Corneliusson, De Leon, Dalglish, Dario Pereira, Fernandez, Eder, Hernandez, Oscar, Juanito, Lawrenson, Lacombe, Lima Pereira, Gudeli, Goicochea, Gallego, Gomes, Gentile Kreer, Kaltz, Montelongo, Miller, Nielsen, Lopez, Leandro, Pumpido, Qvist, Rodriguez, Righetti, Romerito, Renato, Samson, Stojkovic, Strachan, Socrates, Sousa, Trossero

Buyo, Gregoire1 and Titanlux repped this.