Guatemalan Football, News & Info Thread Vol. III ®

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by edcalvi, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ranciddroog

ranciddroog New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Guatemala city
    whos tyrone? lol

2. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    Cap this kid now.

3. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Are you guys saying cap him straight to the men's team??

I'd say bring him in to your U20, actually watch him play and then see what he's got to offer.

I mean even Theo Walcott worked his why up through the U17, U19 etc to get his why into the national men's side.

4. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say just cap him one game to get him cap tied.. Similar thing happened with Adu in USA. He wasn't getting called up and Ghana was interested. Had USA not called him up soon he would have gone to Ghana. Now he is cap tied and can't go anywhere. We should cap him to make sure he stays ours!

5. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree. Call him up now, and if he's not ready, then just make him play the last minutes of a match, so he's cap tied.

6. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    How does the nationalised player system work??

I mean this kid has an Italian dad, a Guatemalan mother and has spent most of his career in Germany.

Does that mean he is eligable for Italy, Guatemala and Germany??

7. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can only play for where you were born. There are processes of "naturalizandose" that makes players eligible to play for other countries. Pretty much it means to become a citizen of that country. That's what we're hoping doesn't happen, especially if he's a great of a talent as GuateFc says he is.

8. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well he's already a German citizen. I don't know about his Italian citizenship though.

As for being a great talent, i can't understand how people can talk up players when they have never seen them play.

It happens all the time on the El Salvador thread. Just because they play for a certain team or becasue they do well in the juniors doesn't mean that they are going to be outstanding players. Watch them play with your own eyes and then give an opinion.

Sorry about the rant, it's not directed specifically at your player, but more so at those in the El Salvador thread that talk up our younger players when they have never even seen them play.

Either way hopefully he does join the Guatemalan national team, as it would not only help your team, but no doubt raise more attention to Central American players, which is a good thing.

9. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    cap tie the kid before he deciedes he wants to be German and ends up playing for Germany in SA 2010. Imagine what Mexico would have done if Gio had naturalized himself a Spanish citizen.

Not saying he would've, just saying "what if".

P.S. The Tyrone reference is from an Erykah Badu song. It was a stupid joke lol.

10. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Much of the concern is silly.

First, nobody has seen him play. Guate FC just knows he exists (good looking out). But there is not a single person here that has spoken of his capacities.

Also, youth national team caps do not directly cap-tie a player. If a few years from now he wants to play for Guate Sele, for example, but first plays for Germany's youth national team before that, since he already had the Guatemalan citizenship BEFORE he played with the German youth national team, he could change federations to Guatemala anytime he wants until he turns 21.

Also, if he is good enough to be called into the German National Team (senior or higher junior levels), then he won't be looking at Guate at all. There's no comparison and it wouldn't help his career. So our best hope (which is most likely) is that he's never even considered good enough for their youth national team system.

11. La-H

La-H Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Northeast
    1. The fact that he plays for an important German youth side (and is scoring goals) would indicate that his future is likely very bright.

2. This is an opinion.

12. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    If this guy was to play for Guate, it will be awesome news. This kid looks sick, i mean playing in Germany and being a star, is very tough. I would call him up for 20's.

13. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi again,

Ok so it looks like I will be heading down there in March...now they'll be playing at that time right? How hard is it to get tickets for a match?

14. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    don't mean to be nosey but GOREVS3000 , you don;t happen to be a gun runner?:D

Yes there should be matches but the Important U23 matches for Guate wil be in the USA, so some sides will be missing their youth stars, Like Avila and Contreras ,and Noriega for Municipal etc

15. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    1. Not true at all. It indicates that his potential is very bright. His future is very undetermined. There are PLENTY of kids that play in youth professional programs and ammount to nothing. There's a kid on the Yanks Abroad board that was Brazilian/American who was on the Champions League roster for Juventus a few years ago at 17. He's not even playing professional soccer now to the best of my knowledge, and he was actually rostered with Juve at 17 only four years ago or so. Then there's Kenny Cooper and Jovan Kirovski who are other Americans who played for Man U's reserved team and lit it up there too. Neither really lighting it up now.

Not saying this kid won't be anything. He may. And Guatemala should definitely keep their eyes on him. But don't look at him as a saviour just yet.

2. This is not an opinion. This is logical. When are you guys going to start to realize that the reason that I've been right about all of my proclamations is because maybe...just maybe... I know a few things?

If he has an option to play for the German National Team then it will improve his abiliyt to get a high paying contract in Europe MUCH easier. If he plays for Guatemala then it will not be very influential in helping his career for his club team at all. You tell me, if you could play for a team definitely going to the World Cup and which will help you get better club contracts or for a national team that is not likely to make the World Cup, that requires you to fly half way across the world to play, and which will not help you get large club contract, what would you do? And don't give me the "maybe he bleeds for the shirt" answer - he didn't grow up in Guate. If he gets a call from the German National Team, you can be sure he's going. That is not an opinion.

16. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    This kid was called to the German U17 side but refused to go. He was claiming to be Guatemalan.... :rolleyes: :cool: (this is a fact)

17. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    HAHA, just realised he never replied to your post :D

I guess Mr. "I've been right about all of my proclamations" must have failed to read the fine print in Guatefc's post. :D

18. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Look, you can say all you want. It is highly unlikely that this kid would choose Guate Nats over German Nats IF he is good enough for the German side. Why? Well, at the very least playing for the German national side leads to big Euro contracts, Guatemalan side leads to MLS contracts. That is a huge item on a player resume that large clubs will look to. You want to disagree then fine, but realize you're misinformed.

And aren't you the same guys that piled on me when I suggested that the news of:

-Plata and Pando going to LA as a sure thing this year was false
    -Sandoval and Villatoro going to MLS this year was false
    -Freddy Thompson was not guaranteed a contract prior to his trial with Chivas despite being reported it was pending a medical only

Maybe I know some people to get details from?

19. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Nope, you got the wrong guy there champ.

I don't even think i've ever typed the names Plata, Pando, Sandoval or Villatoro until today. :D

All i was trying to get across with my post was to show that you are just like the rest of us, you make assumptions, that are sometimes right, and sometimes wrong.

Just because you say something, doesn't mean we should take it as scripture. There is no doubt i'm misinformed about some things, i mean i'm only human. We all are; even you.

20. ranciddroog

ranciddroog New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Guatemala city
    hey you guys Municipal got theyre first signing of the offseason, the snapped up Israel Silva from Xela, its a official and he has already been presented as a ROJO, u can check out the pics and info at www.rojos.com

21. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I don't understand what USAFutbol proposes: are you trying to say that hypothetically if this guy was top scorer in the BL with Frankfurt, a top team like Bayern wouldn't sign him because he plays for Guate. and that would be deemed too lowly? :confused: I am not trying to be a jerk, I just want to figure out your position.

If so...well, there are plenty of cases of players that have suceeded with big clubs even though they came from "small" (soccer) nations. Litmanen never played to play in a WC, yet he managed to play for some top clubs like Barca and Liverpool.

I am sure that if this guy turned out to be good enough, something like his nationality wouldn't deter Beckenbauer and Hoeness (Bayern Munich directors) to table an offer. Right now Benjamin Mwaruwari (Zimbabwe, P'mouth) is one of the top scorers in the EPL, and I would not be surprised if one of the big clubs in England came calling. They won't have reservations if he's "good enough". ;)

I interpret your post as possibly having something to do with an EU passport, or lack thereof? In this Guatemalan's kid case, I think it's safe to assume he probably already has a German one, so that should not present an issue (in Mwaruwari's case, he's been playing in England already so I am sure there wouldn't be a problem renewing his passport).

If, however, you mean that he won't take Guate. over Germany, then I would agree. Otherwise (club transfer wise), I do not seem to follow the idea behind your post.

Metro

22. ranciddroog

ranciddroog New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Guatemala city
    [​IMG]
    lets see who else joins los ROJOS!

23. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Not quite what I was getting at.

IF he's good enough to make German Senior side then the additional exposure of playing against teams in the top of Europe will help bring bigger teams in for him on transfer. They see him competing against the players they have on their club teams.

Further, he'd be playing with a world cup contender (not a side that struggles to make it to the Hex in CONCACF). Surely you recognize that there is more money in NT appearances for Germany, more sponsorship potential for someone with that visibility and more exposure to clubs around Europe for larger dollar transfer figures.

It's often a chicken and egg problem - for many of these players, the big clubs want to see meaningful caps with their national team in order to convince their Board to open up the bank account and spend the money. By playing for Germany then it opens a lot more doors. Playing national team matches in obscure CONCACAF matches will not provide the same type of cache.

24. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    OK, so what "assumptions" have I made here that were wrong about player transfers and contracts? That was why I brought up Plata, Pando, Sandoval, etc., not because I thought you mentioned them.... I've been right about all of them and it's not coincidence.

And as it relates to your ealier comment about not responding to Guate FC's comment about forgoing the German Youth National Team, I already told you what I think. The kid can very definitely change federation before he turns 21 so long as he doesn't play a senior national team A-team match and he already has passports from both countries when he plays for the youth team.

Why would he therefore shun a call from Germany's youth side when he can play for Guatemala senior national team afterwards anyway? Maybe because we don't have proof that he actually got one? I haven't seen that, myself.

25. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I think if you're good enough, playing in a European top level league (e.g., Bundesliga) then it won't matter where you're from to a team that may be interested in signing a player (except for the whole non-EU spots "issue").

In terms of the "exposure" deal...well, that has more to do with his personal choice to choose Germany over Guate. You made it seem--I believe--as though if he had his Guate. passport--even if he were good enough--big teams wouldn't come calling. Two different things: his national allegiances and a potential transfer.

At any rate, it's too early to tell. None knows exactly how good this kid is. Furthermore, none even knows whether he would care to play for Guate (or even if he could).

Metro