Post-match: Guatemala vs. USA: Postgame Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are of course correct.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Now if you want to ask why is he not goal side of him in the middle of the field, go to town. He was deep in the cover spot and was responsible for the primary mark on Ruiz.

3. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    The sad part, Davies is only 29. Such a shame.

4. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    If this was a big soccer country, he'd have a lot better players. Firing him would be a pretty big overreaction for the exact same start to qualifying we had 4 years ago when we ended up crushing the hex and advancing at the World Cup out of a group with Germany and Portugal.

5. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have read others say his responsibility is to hold the line there and not drift back with Ruiz, but I don't know how teams normally play gk's. A goal kick that leads to a break away is so rare that it almost always touches midfielder before it gets any where near the back line. The fact that this ball got past both the midfielders and defenders is rare IMO

The thing that really stands out for me in that picture is Ruiz's anticipation. He is already in a sprint stance and the ball has not even gotten by Mix yet and then look at Orozco's stance in comparison.

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Crushing?
    Game 4 we needed a free-kick to eek out 1-0 against a team that already beat us
    Game 5 we were TIED in the 90th minute vs. a poor team. Hail Mary win.
    Game 6 Loss and we are eliminated. Were down 1-0

Crushing huh?

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Its Orozco's responsibility to read the potential touches and be prepared to step forward. He is still miles away from Ruiz.

Its easy for Ruiz. He makes that run 50 times a night. all he needs is for one to get through.

Making that run makes the defender hesitate/panic/puts another puzzle piece in their head that they need to consider. All that is needed is for a defender to freeze for a moment.

John McGuirk repped this.
  8. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbh, I didn't know about that rule until that play happened and cleansheet started going off on the commentators. I wonder if it's possible Orozco didn't know the rule either.

RalleeMonkey and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  9. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you misread his post. He said "crushing the hex", not this current round

um_chili, ArsenalMetro and Heist repped this.
  10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Again, coaching.

11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really doubt this is the case. And if it is, its one of the coaching things Jurgen is not to blame for. Its not a new rule. I blame it on laziness or lack of focus or a lack of recent first team games for orozco.

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And who decided that Orozco should be there?

coldfusion, russ, jaxonmills and 2 others repped this.
  13. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I had just looked this up and decided it wasn't worth a post, but if some random dude tweets similar I can post here I guess.

Biggest Elo drops in USMNT history:

#1 - 70, the Jay Heaps game. 5-0 to Mexico at home in the 2009 GC final. Elo doesn't know about B-Teams though.
    #2 - 66, the 3-1 loss to Poland in '02 WC in South Korea.
    #3 - 56, 5-2 to Chile in the 1950 WC in Brazil. This is the game right after we beat England 1-0 (+56 Elo, kwinkidink)
    #4 - 48, 5-2 to Cuba in Cuba in something called the North American Championship...1947
    #5 - 45, last Friday

SJB, deuteronomy, jaxonmills and 4 others repped this.
  14. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yea but most of these "journalists" are absolutely nuts. They'd criticize the national team coach after the team had won the world cup. They aren't really journalists, they are television personalities.

15. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    After 4 games, I'd take viera. He's got something to him.

16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Rule mistake is on orozco. Focus/he's not even a starting cb is on jurgen. Even a non cb should be able to make that play.

17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I can't imagine us ever attacking like that under Klinsman. He seems to have the team on a Hoosiers-esque "minimum-number-of-touches-before-you-shoot" rule.

superdave repped this.
  18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Almost 7 years later, this might still be our best goal ever, all things considered. 5 touches (three of them Donovan's), and every one of them absolutely perfect.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  20. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I thought it was generally accepted that this was the more dangerous portion of qualifying?

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It may be in part because of the bad memories he left in Puebla. Otherwise, the guy is the opposite of Klinsmann: a tactician who doesn't talk without supporting what he says.

russ repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, but this time we're likely to have, besides Mexico and Costa Rica, an Honduras settling under Pinto, a Jamaica or Panama that we couldn't beat at home in the Gold Cup, and a Trinidad that is almost evenly matched with us.

Not good. Except for Honduras, all those teams are playing better than us (Trinidad about the same).

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://metrofanatic.com/other/jco.jsp

Dude had the weirdest lineups when he was in charge of the Red Bulls. Pretty Klinsmann-esque in that regard, actually.

24. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a wash--margin for error is smaller but competition is generally weaker. Historically we've had shaky moments in both: 2000 and 2012 semis got dicey; 2001 hex did. Otherwise, we usually qualify with 1-2 games to spare.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Frankly, he's not a big name in South America. He's mostly known for his work with Once Caldas and Atletico Nacional. It was a surprise to many that he got chosen to lead Mexico, but so far he's been very good.