Guatemala vs Jamaica, USA and Antigua 2012 WCQ (R)

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by lguti9, Jun 5, 2012.

1. aramada

aramada Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I mean yeah I agree completely we had a drop in focus and that goal really took us out of our comfort zone, but i wouldn't say it was a bad game. We responded, and to me that was what is the difference between a bad game or not.

You knew Jamaica was going to come out swinging in the 2nd half, and even then they were gunning for something right before the half with the substitution made in an otherwise unorthodox spot. We held tough and yeah gave up a clear foul but with a questionable placement and that isn't a knock on us that the ref decided it was a PK. We scored twice in the run of play, had more shots than them for most of the game (may have fell in favor of JAM at the end with their desperation up-front) and actually strung together plenty of good passing sequences. We looked AWESOME the first 20-25 minutes which in a game of this magnitude we absolutely needed. Would i say this was a perfect game no way far from it, but I don't know if i would call this a bad game either. It was the biggest game our sele mayor has faced in a long time and we pulled it out. i couldnt be happier

EDIT: Meant we should*** have scored twice in the run of play (he first early run by Ruiz included)

jfcule and ChaChaFut repped this.
  2. xjuniorrulzx

xjuniorrulzx Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Northridge, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy seems to LOVE Ruiz. Hopefully all his goals, and the attention he has gotten in the last few games, get him a few offers. He deserves it!

3. Tikal 2012

Tikal 2012 New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Our defense had a good game tonight didnt let Jamaica take those long shots that kill us all the time , until the second half when Jamaica was pushing ahead ,
    we need that D the whole 90 min , and thanks to all the people that showed up at Mateo Flores .
    with that D playing the 90 minutes , uufff otro gallo canta my friends .

jfcule, ChaChaFut and aramada repped this.
  4. xjuniorrulzx

xjuniorrulzx Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Northridge, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Fkuc that, a ganar el martes. Si jugamos a empatar, perdemos.

[​IMG]

6. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012

7. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Highlights including Enoc's magnificent play

8. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    The U.S. team is pathetic right now. They have no identity without Landon Donovan. I'd rather face the U.S. in the Hex than Jamaica.

9. lazulyblanco

lazulyblanco Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Enorme Partido de ENOC y MORALES gran pareja de centrales. Para mi los jugadores del partido.
    Sin duda tengo que darle credito Almedia por convocar a Morales que ningun otro tecnico lo hubiera convocado, y darle la confianza a Enoc.
    FIGUEROA dio un partidazo no solo por el gol, se fajo en defensa tambien.
    PAPPA quedo a deber otra vez, CONTRERAS 2 asistencias, creador y contencion quito mas que De Leon, gran partido apesar del penal
    Y el PESCADO enorme como siempre.

dezeptus repped this.
  10. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    La otra que me gustó fue la barrida del Abuelo [2:16] :x3:

11. aramada

aramada Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Now that there has been some time after the victory, I came up with some of these post-game thoughts/observations:

1. Maybe I've lived under a rock, but since when has Minor Lopez been 6ft 4inches??? He made a couple of really bad decisions just kind of aimlessly shooting rather than holding on and waiting for help, but with that type of size and with the way he played for most of the game balancing Ruiz out up front, I would not be opposed to him getting more time up front.
    2. Pappa was subbed out in the 68th minute, and while I agree he didn't have a particularly great game, there's just something about having him out there late in the game that comforts me. His free-kick taking abilities and deliveries on corners are without a doubt #1 on our squad, and without him late against the USA in the first game we would have lost instead of tied. I'd rather see him out there late to give us that threat, especially in a game where we desperately need one more.
    3. Ruiz. Honestly, this man is just incredible. He retired from international competitions a few years ago, then decided to come back and is not only producing but has been the difference maker in so many games up until this point so far. A friend I met here studying abroad who said he saw Ruiz in the '02 MLS Cup game at Gillette Stadium responded with "holy sh*t i thought he'd be poolside at a mexican resort by now" when I told him Ruiz was still playing.
    4. Alejandro Galindo and Marco Ciani. So long as we take care of business on Tuesday, Galindo will still have something to shoot for within this cycle even after his lengthy recovery time. I really like Ciani, and to have Ciani and Galindo out there manning the midfield together is something I am really excited for.

12. OnTheeRize

OnTheeRize Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Thats cuz there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends like Ruiz never die.

13. Tikal 2012

Tikal 2012 New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I was a little scared when they took pappa out , he is comfort whenever he is out in the game , yes Ruiz is the best thast has come out of Guate in my opinion , he loves his country , and we know this because we love our country , I am a big fan of Galindo i think this kid has what it takes to help our team to the world cup. he is young , strong ,fast and intelligent with the ball ,imagine , pappa Galindo , Contreras and Ciani in at the same time with Enoc and our D going the 90 min , and Ruiz with another forward up front , I think we could have a chanse . We need the rest of our forwards playing with hunger , with that fire in their heart's , to see GUATEMALA in the world cup.

14. Itzallboutgtown

Mar 27, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I think we should give a chance to los goliadores de la liga, Betancur Y Valenzuela

15. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    At this point we need to rely on strikers with experience who won't crap the bed. The guys from the league who have never been called up would pee their pants playing in a crucial match in front of even 30k people. Just too much to ask of them.

edcalvi repped this.
  16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just an update if you guys are interested. Every American with a left foot is apparently injured so we wot have an actual left back to play on Tuesday. Last game we rolled out three centerbacks so... If you have a quick right winger I'd be nervous.

Tecunuman, jfcule and ChaChaFut repped this.
  17. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    El Pescado is so clutch right now. He's all but carrying the team on his back.

I can't believe he's without a team. It seems he's focused and his head issues are sorted out, and his being unemployed is driving him even harder with Guate. This WCQ is his swan song. And we should take advantage.

I really hope a European team picks him up in the winter market. He'd be great in a smaller EPL or La Liga team as a sub.

18. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Looks like a job for this man:

[​IMG]

19. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    That's really unlikely. He got little love from Europe when he was in his prime, I can't imagine him getting any serious looks now. Who knows how his career would have turned out if he didn't sign that deal with FC Dallas and instead taken a chance at trialing in Europe like crazy at 26.

I think he ends up in MLS next season.

20. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    From what i hear lads, Ruiz is working up a deal with Cruz Azul. I think if Guate makes it to the next phase, we'll def. need another good scorer. Maybe the Brazilian Guatemalan Israel Da Silva, and i think he wouldn't be afraid if he played in front of 30k fans. What do you guys think.

Tecunuman repped this.
  21. Tecunuman

Tecunuman Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I think Israel Da Silva would make a great addition to the squad but id really like to see someone younger up there with Ruiz

22. aramada

aramada Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I can definitely see where both of you guys are coming from guti and tecunuman. Silva gives us a seasoned guy who won't sh*t himself on the big stage, but a younger guy would provide a spark and a foundation for the future.

really it'll come down to tomorrow. If we can walk away tomorrow night with a spot in the hex, then we'll have at least 10 competitive World Cup Qualifying matches, in addition to our other tournys (UNCAF cup whhere the groups were just released/Gold Cup). That also means more friendlies in order to stay together and prepare. That's when we'll hopefully be able to experiment and see who else works alongside Ruiz, and to eventually replace him.

But you're both right, we absolutely need someone else to step up and show that they want to be up front and willing to take on the scoring load

23. Tecunuman

Tecunuman Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Lets hope so Aramada.
    As for the game tonight i think it was pretty bold on the part of Almeida to put Pappa on the bench for the first half of the game vs US, but i think its a hell of a strategy because in the second half he can be our breathe of fresh air and can make a last moment play to win or tie a game.

aramada repped this.
  24. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Sporting KC's stadium only holds 18.5k people. That's less than the number of people that were at Mateo Flores.

Still, it's not a simple process to call someone into the national team. There's tactics that they have to get adjusted to, their teammates and then the mental aspect.

I believe Nacho Lopez will play a much more important role in the Hex if Guate makes it through. His work rate is incredible. Also, Henry Lopez is coming along nicely.

25. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Guate needs to make it to the Hex so that Ruiz can retire as the most capped national team player (he's at 103 and needs to surpass 106), break Carlos Pavon's record for highest scoring Central American national team player (it's 56 he's at 54) and to break the record you posted above.