Guatemala v. USA: Player Ratings {R}

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NBlue, Aug 21, 2008.

1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please note typical USA ratings in effect (5=average)

Bocanegra: 8, Clearly MOTM -- solid in the back, owning el pescadito and breaking up a number of plays and scoring the gamewinning goal while demonstrating how dangerous he is on set pieces.

Gooch: 6, consistently solid. Good all-around play but nothing spectacular.

Dolo: 4, First yellow was harsh but second was well deserved and a very dumb play on a yellow. Played well in adding to the attack before the ejection but getting a dumb red really knocked down his rating.

Pearce: 4 -- clearly our worst defender. Beaten frequently in defensive position and added little to the attack. I thought he got a lot better especially late in the game but he was clearly the weak link in our defense.

Pablo: 5 -- tail of two halves for Pablo -- thought he was a red card waiting to happen in the first half but smoothed out his game a bit in the second and made some timely tackles before he was taken off for Edu. Meanwhile, is there anyone left that could possibly believe he deserves a starting spot over Maurice??

Bradley: 6 -- calm and physical. Solid but unspectacular play from Michael though he did make a very nice tackle towards the end of the match yet a few poor decisions in the attack kept this from being higher.

Lewis: 4 -- looked very slow before that evil challenge took him out. I sure hope he is okay as that really looked bad. Still, he did not look very good on the pitch in his minutes out there.

Donovan: 5 -- looked much better in the first half but did not seem to have a place to go with the ball. I think he really missed Beasley early and seemed to tire late though he continued to come back and help defensively after we got the lead.

Ching: 6 -- thought he was okay up until we got the lead. At that point he did an incredible job showing as an outlet and holding possession in tight spaces to pass to the midfielders. I never thought he was dangerous to actually score a goal but he was just what we needed in this game.

Dempsey: 3 -- what has happenned to Clint. He was invisible and failed to hustle. I was very disappointed.

Howard: 7 -- a rock. A leader. Love him as our clear #1 keeper. total stud.

Subs:

Edu: 6 -- added class to the game with his insertion -- why did he not get the start?

Beasley: 6 -- showed the speed that Lewis could not utilize, helped back on D and gave a nice corner which resulted in a goal. Clearly our best left mid and deserves to start when fit.

Hejduk: 6 -- classic Frankie. All over everybody and can't pass a lick but was exactly what we needed and his tenacity was a perfect response to the Guats.

Overall -- great job USA!!

2. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused, you say Gooch was solid but nothing spectacular? He made those guys look like a bunch of chumps tonight. Nothing went his way tonight. Boca on the otherhand was beat constantly, he was just able to make up ground quickly and had Gooch back there to save his behind several times. You need to pay a little more attention if you're going to be starting threads like this. Good goal by Boca though.

3. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My ratings (6 base):

Howard (8) - Commanded his area, made the saves we needed him to make when we needed him to make them, and is the clear leader of this team. MOTM.

Cherundolo (3.5) - Stupidly booked in the first half, even more stupidly booked in the second half and deservedly sent off. Very lucky boy the Guatemalans stupidly went down to 10.

Gooch (6.5) - Good solid game from him. Nothing fancy, nothing disastrous, just want you like to see.

Bocanegra (7) - Best of the US back 4 and got the goal.

Pearce (2) - Worst performance of a LB I have maybe ever seen at international level, and the worst performance of any US international since Rolfe vs. Scotland

Donovan (4) - Invisible all night and completely useless. Call it heart, call it out of position, I don't know, but something with him at right midfield isn't working.

Bradley (5) - Gave away 3 balls in the first 15 minutes of the second half in dangerous positions and was part of the twin D-mid completely overrun in the first 15 mins of the second half.

Mastroeni (5) - Lucky boy to stay on the field and is a walking card machine. Why he wasn't subbed off at halftime carrying a yellow I don't know.

Lewis (5) - Sadly he best contribution of the game was getting elbowed in the face and replaced. I sincerely hope he is okay though, that looked nasty.

Dempsey (5) - Pouted while being (rightfully) taken off and didn't do much while he was out there.

Ching (5.5) - Held up the ball a couple of times, but just completely lacks skill with the ball at his feet.

----

Hejduk (5.5) - Was okay coming on for Dolo
    Edu (5) - Didn't do a lot
    Beasley (6.5) - Highest rated outside of Boca and Howard tells you all you need to know about our attack all night.

---

Bradley (2) - Put the team in a position to fail. Sat on his ass at halftime and did nothing. Watched for 15 minutes of the second half as we were getting shelled. The boys pulled out a great win despite the moron at the helm.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard, 8 - Outstanding performance from our #1.
    Pearce, 5 - He tried but his lack of experience showed, he should do better as he acquires more WCQ experience
    Bocanegra, 8 - Did well overall and score the winner, automatic MOTM.
    Onyewu, 7 - Also did well in the middle, I blame the long balls he and Boca were kicking all game on BB.
    Cherundolo, 1 - Got beaten often and picked up two silly yellow card, where's his experience??
    Bradley, 6 - Did well to recover the ball but gave it back too often, I liked how he tried to make up for Donovan by running at the defense.
    Mastreoni, 2 - Why does he keep getting called up? Rico Clark could do a lot more than him and not pick up silly yellows.
    Lewis, 5 - Was in pre-season form, I see no reason to keep calling up him since today was the toughest match of WCQ in the semis.
    Donovan, 1 - Total fraud, doesn't create, doesn't contribute, he has more than 100 caps but still thinks he can MLS his way in WCQs. Where's Adu??
    Dempsey, 5 - I know most of you think he did bad but I disagree, this guy does the opposite of what BB tells him: ACT, not REACT.
    Ching, 4 - MLS material and it showed. There is no reason to not call up Jozy, Cooper, Davies since today we learnd that exprience means sh!t.

Subs:
    Hejduk, 5: The only experienced player that showed his experience.
    Beasley, 7: Changed the game.
    Edu, No Rating.

Coach:
    BB - HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Beckhamcpt07

Beckhamcpt07 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard- 7.5, while not the MOTM, had some great saves

'Dolo- 4 weak first yellow, dumb second--- overall a poor game

Gooch- 6 no bonehead plays!... nothing spectacular either.

Boca- 8 easily the MOTM, goal and snuffed out a number of dangerous crosses

Pearce- 4 weaker than 'Dolo while he stayed on the pitch, had a few good tackles towards the end

Lewis- 4 thought he was all but invisible until the collision, hope hes alright.

Bradley- 6 no glaring mistakes, which was nice. Certainly more solid than usual, nice tackle towards the end (though I was nervous).

Mastro- 6 thought he looked the most composed on the ball for the US most of the game, still makes me nervous in the tackle (like Bradley)

Donovan- 4 disappointing. I would have hoped an away qualifier would bring out the best in him despite the fact that he is playing right midfield in the first half.

Ching- 6 He would have been a five until the 75th minute when he did a fantastic job relieving pressure.

Dempsey- 3 I miss the old Clint.

Subs:

Edu- Not enough time, would have liked to see him start with Bradley--- but it's experience first on the road, I guess. Composed on the ball.

Hejduk- 3, Ran his tits off like usual but when are we going to have a competent right back off the bench (cough.... cough... Simek)

Beasley- 6, Bundle of energy, good to see him get some minutes.

Overall: I took heart from our performance after the goal, why does it have to be off another set piece-- although thats better than nothing. Up until the game turned on its head, i thought we were utterly horrible. Sure its hard to play on that surface, after the rain, in Guatemala, in that environment but I still expect us to pass around and thru them all over the park. Team gets a 5.

7. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you guys about Dempsey. I just don't know what happened to his game. He looks dead when he's on the field and has the enthusiasm of a sloth when he's sitting on the bench.

8. USA2010?

USA2010? Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Most of the previous ratings are fine, except...

I would rate Dolo a 3 at best. He's the experienced one and he slams a ball into the ground for not getting a throw-in? He's got to know better. He then has the ball and gets tied up and loses it? I like the guy and hope this is simply an anomoly, but for this game he was awful.

Defensively, Howard was great, but his performance with the ball toward the end of the game was poor, at best. He shanked a few out of bounds and then, in the last 10 minutes, he would simply punt the ball back to the Guatemalans. You kill off a game by keeping the ball, not by giving it back!

We need to learn to keep possession so that we can kill off a game - not just Howard. In the last 15 minutes, we were chasing the Guatemalans, it should have been the other way around.

9. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be the definition of solid but unspectacular. He played well and did not make any dumb mistakes. I thought Gooch was solid but he did not make any incredible plays. Overall, I was very happy with his performance.

I thought Boca organized the defense well and made a few goal saving plays including a couple aggressive marks on Ruiz who seemed to be his reponsibility for most of the night. He also lead the team with the captain's armband (and seemed to rally them after the foul on Lewis) and, oh yeah, scored the game winning goal off a very nice finish. I think you are the one who needs to pay a bit more attention.

10. polak metro

polak metro New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    you guys see dempsey barely celebrated the win also very pathetic

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I'd give each and every player a 10 for the effort and guts they played with tonight, and the fight they showed playing under a highly contentious atmosphere.

12. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    How is Ching getting good marks? He had fewer touches than close-ups. And we had only one shot inside 18 from the run of play that I can think of. That was Dempsey's.

13. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I've edited this post because I was a bit too harsh. Could you please provide some support for your opinion that Landon Donovan is useless and a fraud who "mls's it up for wcq?" Oh but giving Demsey a 5 really makes sense if you're talking about usefullness right? Yeah lets give Bradley a 6 too even though he gave the ball away constantly and made 50/50 passes that put our players in danger. Your assessment of Ching is pathetic as well too--I guess
    your mentality is if you're a forward and you ain't constantly scoring you must be sucking?

14. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Howard - 4
    Dolo - 2
    Gooch - 7
    Boca - 4
    Pearce - 3
    Donovan - 4
    Bradley - 5
    Mastroeni - 4
    Dempsey - 3
    Ching - 4

Beasley - 7
    Hejduk - 6
    Edu - 5

Defensive distribution was awful and led to a lot of the pressure the Guatemalans applied. Dolo, Pearce, Boca, and Howard were miserable advancing the ball effectively. Gooch was my MotM. Midfield and forwards were generally ineffective.

15. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

His play in the last 20 minutes of the game was exactly what we needed. He tracked back constantly and provided an excellent outlet, held the ball up and connected well with our midfielders. True, I never had any thought he was a danger to score but I thought he did exactly what he was put out there to do and was integral to the result we got. He hustled his ass off and deserves a 6 in my book.

16. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THANK YOU. I knew that someone with some intelligence was still awake.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    (Using the 6 "average" scoring:)

Howard - 8 MOTM
    Cherundolo - 5
    Onyewu - 7
    Bocanegra - 7
    Pearce - 5.5
    Bradley - 6
    Mastroeni - 5.5
    Lewis - 5
    Donovan - 6
    Dempsey - 5
    Ching - 6

Hejduk - 6.5
    Beasley - 6
    Edu - 6.5

18. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You obviously just watched the same game I watched. Gooch was easily the MotM. Boca and Dolo were downright embarrasing and people on here have Boca rated as high as an 8. Like I said before I guess getting beat all night and having the other center back cover for you is a good game to some people.
    I mean the guy spent the entire night having to run guys down from behind. Uhhh, helloooooo.

19. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I prefer to rate this game in guttural noises.

Pearce, Stevie C, Mastro, Lewis, Dempsy - uggg
    Donavon, Ching, Bradley - ehhh
    Edu - eeeeedu
    Boca, DMB, Gooch - aaaah
    Howard - gggggrrrrr
    Bob - reeeeeeeeeesign!

20. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway

Hehe, I had to chuckle at that.

That is what it literally feels like when you read some of these threads though.

21. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard - 8 - I have so much confidence in him. Didn't have to do anything spectacular, but probably would have if he needed to. Extra point for getting in Ruiz's face.

Pearce - 2.5 - Very disappointed in his effort. He made El Loco look like a dangerous winger, which he most certainly is not.

Cherundolo - 3.5 - His defending was mediocre, and then he got sent off for two incredibly foolish yellows. Luckily Guatemala is even more foolish.

Onyewu - 7 - Very solid defending. No qualms.

Bocanegra - 7 - A little shakier than Gooch, but he scored!

Mastroeni - 5 - He did his job at times, but also was a risk to be sent off at any moment.

Bradley - 6 - Made a few errant passes, but had a lot of energy - especially in the last 10 minutes.

Lewis - 4 - Really showed nothing before he was assaulted. Hope he's OK. I'm sure he can still be effective in some situations.

Donovan - 3 - Did nothing of any note.

Dempsey - 2 - He played?

Ching - 5.5 - He did what was asked of him. Too bad he wasn't asked to do much on the attacking end.

Hejduk - 6 - He's a legend. No technical ability to speak of, but he just never stops running and must be unbelievably frustrating to play against.

Beasley - 6 - Was better than Lewis, and served a nice corner. Still petite, but he can defend a little bit.

Edu - 6 - Time for him to start.

Poppa Bradley - 3 - Didn't like the squad, and I didn't like the tactics, but I guess we won so it's all moot now.

22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Unfortunately. And that's why we're dependent on set piece goals from our center backs that are not going to be there against better opponents.

"hustling his ass off" should no longer be a reason to give a guy a 6. But Richie WIlliams thanks you for the thought.

Call me old-fashioned, but I actually like forwards who get shots on goal. And generally a failure to do so doesn't reflect well on their play.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Oddly enough, as I am usually of the opinion that Bob is serviceable but not excpetional, I thought he did a very good job tonight. The dual mid set up is perfect for a CA quali on the road and we had the best of the ball for much of the game. Bob put in Frisbee Dog after the silly card, which was a good move. The Beasley sub, I would suggest however, should not have been forced on him. Lewis - and LD - were not very effective getting forward and Lewis in particular was playing much too direct. Once Bease shook it up a bit he found a bit of midfield space and threatened to release Ching and Pearce more than once (granted, he found most space once Guat was pressing after being down, which Lewis did not have the luxury of.)

A win on the road to a CA team, even relatively lowly Guat, is nothing to be ashamed of. We neutralized their long ball very well, and were only really exposed by speed on the wings, most of which we forced to run out over the goal line.

Now, when we see this same defensive, relatively uncreative line-up at home, I'll be ranting along with the rest of you. But it's a lot better than Bruce's sorry old 5-3-2's with Ritchie Williams at CM that we used to get.

24. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    To be fair to Ching, he had two defensive mids behind him, and Lewis wasn't very effective, either. Maybe with Adu, things might have been different.

Nah.

25. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Howard (7) - MOTM - Took command of the area but his distribution was terrible.

Cherundolo (4) - Where to start? He was bad and stupid.

Gooch (6) - Solid. He's gotten so much better during the past couple years. I actually think the Newcastle loan was good for him.

Bocanegra (6) - He was all over the field and so were his passes.

Pearce (4) - He was the worst defender on the field. But Dolo was dumber.

Donovan (5) - Good work rate, which was probably what Bob wanted from him. Bob's mis-handling of Donovan is hurting this team. Your best attacker should be in a position to attack.

Bradley (6) - Paul Scholes, he ain't. But his passing was actually a bit better than normal. Also, he was very composed. One of his better games, imo.

Mastroeni (5) - I like Pablo but there are too many talented central mids in the pool for him to be doing his thing for much longer. He was perhaps a bit lucky not to be sent off, but what's new?

Lewis (4) - He was a square peg in a round hole tonight. Bad game.

Dempsey (5) - He started brightly but faded. Nothing new there, either. He should be left with Fulham until he -- crosses fingers -- gets his mojo back.

Ching (6) - He was another square peg, but he did whatever he could to impact the game in a positive way.

----

Hejduk (6) - There's a chicken looking for its head in Guatemala tonight.
    Edu (6) - Was smooth on the ball but off on a couple passes.
    Beasley (7) - He was surprisingly smooth on the ball. Has the jitterbug turned into a butterfly?

---

Ref (8) - Solid. Was put in some tough situations but got most of the right.