Guards Large or Small?

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by Strtsccr4life, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Strtsccr4life

Strtsccr4life New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Just taking a poll on which type of shinguard people use more...Some people like big guards to cover there legs so they dont get hacked....but others like small shinguards to keep themselves light...Just let me know which kind you prefer and why...Thanks!

2. goalhappy27

goalhappy27 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Oregon USA
    i use the nike vapor guard which is probably one of the smallest out there...i use it because its light..so it doesnt feel like youre wearing any guards at all..sucks when you get kicked though

3. Strtsccr4life

Strtsccr4life New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Yeah, thats what i use too, i wear it higher than most people wear shinguards because i dont want it affecting how i strike the ball

4. Calcio fan

Calcio fan New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Ottawa
    I prefer the smaller, lighter soft-shells over the hard-shells because I don't like having big heavy shin guards on my legs. I find them more comfortable but they do hurt more when you get kicked but hopefully that doesn't happen to often.

5. goalhappy27

goalhappy27 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Oregon USA
    yeah same here i like to wear them as high as i can

6. Ronaldinho 10

Ronaldinho 10 New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Va, USA
    I use the Nike Vapor shin guards and i love them because of their feel and weight...But i remember getting hit in both shins last weekend in a game several times and that night my shins were sore as all and had 'dents' and mountains from different collisions...So they dont give the greatest protection, but they definately keep you light and comfortable.

7. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia
    If you didnt want them affecting how you strike the ball then why dont you strike the ball with your boots not your shin?

I like wearing mine in the middle just in case i have to trap the ball with my shin I leave a little gap.

8. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wear really small Nike shin guards that just slip down your socks. A lot of people in my team wear the real bulky shin pads with the ankle supports. But i dont like that. I need to have my ankles free to feel the ball.

appleCORR

9. nicodinho

nicodinho New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    dallas,tx
  10. Van der Meyde

Van der Meyde New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Cool, I want the nike vapor ones, or the J lite ones. Anywhere in the Uk that sells em? Looks like most of u guys are from the Usa? I really want some! Soccer.com stopped doing the gold J guards i think? They do white though.

11. goalhappy27

goalhappy27 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Oregon USA
    they never did a gold j guard...they did a chrome one though

12. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    bulky...much rather walk away with a bruise then a broken leg

13. Van der Meyde

Van der Meyde New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    They did bud :p

It was the Nike J Guard, but in gold :) I donno why they aint on there no more :confused:

14. goalhappy27

goalhappy27 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Oregon USA
    pretty sure they didnt...but if you think so post a picture

15. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    are these them...?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Van der Meyde

Van der Meyde New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Sure (Edit) Hehe u beat me! How come the ones on the bottom look a different gold?

[​IMG]

17. Ronaldinho 10

Ronaldinho 10 New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Va, USA
    Possibly a different tint, but its probly just different lighting/angle for each picture.

18. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    Shin gaurds will not help a blow severe enough to break a leg, just little nicks in the shin.

19. RHFWRD9

RHFWRD9 New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Rochester, New York
    First, I Have The New Total 90 Shinguards Which Are Sweet, But My Favorites Are My Molten Cobra Ultralite's!!!Extremely Light, And Protective, I Also Like Smaller Shinguards, i Guess Just As A Fashion Statement. Off topic does anyone know where i can find chrome nike j guards???

20. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    I'm pretty sure they can, if they weren't there to prevent broken legs then everybody would be wearing tiny ass guards

bigger bulkier guards will at the very least lessen the severity of the injury.

21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have seen a couple stories, here and other places, of shin-to-shin contests resulting in a broken leg for the guy with the small guard and just a painful bruise for the one in the real armor.

I wear giant wrap-around guards with seperate ankle protectors. The guards are fiberglass, so they are still light-weight. I can't stand playing without ankle protectors - getting hit on the ankle bone always hurts, and results in the ball bouncing in random directions.

22. Middle Of The Shed

Middle Of The Shed New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    London
    During the summer I always get some slip in shinguards which will do there job through the summer for pre season. But I bring out the proper armor when the season starts :D

23. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well when you play sunday league you need those big shinpads. I hear people go through the back of pretty boys like you - lol.

appleCORR

24. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Something to keep in mind is that even though shinpads are manufactured in a wide range of sizes, the referee has the final say on what can be classed as providing a "reasonable degree of protection", which is what is required by the laws.

Many national bodies are starting to instruct referees to clamp down on shinpads, which are getting smaller and smaller. In Australia, pads now have to cover at least 2/3 of the shin. There's always some leniency allowed, but I've seen more than one player told he can't play because his pads were too small.

25. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point.

I wear the Molten Cobras, very comfortable, good protection, and lightweight. I don't get why people wear the tiniest shinguards possible, can you really tell a difference between a guard that weighs 2.5oz and one that weighs 1.6oz? I know I don't notice differences like that when I play. I would feel the difference if I wore 6 inch nike shinguards and got kicked hard though.