Guardian Unlimited article on Adu, MLS and Kornheiser 4/29/04

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by newXgate, Apr 29, 2004.

1. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Nice column.

And who knew it was "Jaimé Moreño," not Jaime Moreno? ;)

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    That was a pretty good article, especially for a foreign press writer (usually, their facts are wrong, and analysis an inch deep).

What seems to get lost here: Freddy has a been a tremendous business deal for MLS ALREADY (probably producing 8-10x what he is being paid this year, maybe more). MLS is a business. Seen in those terms, everything makes sense (Including revealing enough of your 'star' to 'keep' your promises, but not hurting the 'product' long-term or exposing flaws)

Euros can't possibly get upset at how MLS is treating Freddy, however. At least Freddy is benefitting financially- whereas the youngsters in Britian, etc in comparison get slave wages (and work almost as hard)..

I'm telling ya'...Freddy is going to marry the Olson Twins (JUNE 14!) and create a media SUPERNOVA! :)

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    It was a good piece, I just find it amusing that they are covering him over there.

4. bbarrie

bbarrie New Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Charleston, SC
    The myth i'm worried about them propagating is that Kornheiser is a highly respected columnist.

5. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I thought the same thing...

Tim

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Marrying both of them would be quite the accomplishment.

7. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I particularly liked Hanigan's second to last paragraph about soccer in the US not needing a savior.

Well written and researched piece.

8. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Good article that reflects a lot of what the non-Freddy Bandwagon has been saying around here. We need more of this type of column.

Add me to the list of people concerned that Kornheiser is percieved as a literate (let alone respected) columnist... :eek:

9. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that was a good paragraph. Perhaps it seems fairly obvious and straight-forward to some of us, but so many people don't get, including a some soccer fans.

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Can anyone tell me why we care if Kornheiser is considered a respected columnist? And if we care, can anyone explain to me why a guy who writes a column for a big newspaper, has a daily national TV show, and just gave up a daily national radio show would not be considered respected?

11. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wow, a well researched and even-handed commentary about something American from The Guardian. The penultimate paragraph was excellent and should be read by people like Kornheiser or Deford.

12. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're equating exposure with respect. Jim Rome had a national show, but I'd hardly consider him respectable.

13. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I respected him solely for the amount of traffic he could generate on bigsoccer.com

14. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    When will Utah have an MLS team?

A very good article, who knew the British press could produce something of such high quality. A far cry from the usual gossip mongering and flat out lies that usually inhabit the sports page over there.

15. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I got four words on this.

HIGHLY RESPECTED MY A$S.

16. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Kornhiser is respected because he has been working for the Washington Post for over 20 years and before becoming a media star, he actually did reporting and the like.