Guardian of the Galatasaray: DeAndre Roselle Yedlin

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Alemannia

Alemannia Member

Alemannia Aachen
    Sep 16, 2021
    All the reports I’ve seen in the “Western media” seem to line up pretty well with the discussions I have weekly with Turkish people on the ground in Ankara. Not sure what you’re getting at here.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Having trouble with inflation is not the same as "economy collapsing." Turkey's inflation rate is 36%. Several other countries have similar inflation rates around the world (Argentina has 50.9%, Iran 39%, for example) and no one is saying their economies are collapsing.

It's definitely a bad sign, but it's only one indicator. It's like those people who say because the USA's debt is already bigger than the total GDP ($28.4 vs. $23.9 in trillions), the country is broke beyond repair.

3. Alemannia

Alemannia Member

Alemannia Aachen
    Sep 16, 2021
    Agreed. But I think the point most responsible publications are making is that the roller coaster of inflation is the symptom of the underlying economic weakness and the government’s strange policy responses, not the disease.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter Miami had been a disaster since it came into the league. Signing aging former stars at a time when the entire league has been getting younger and more aggressive. Then it got caught cheating.

It is actually refreshing to see some positive self-reflection coming out of Miami this preseason. They pretty much acknowledged that they were signing old players on hunches and other players because they got recommendations from agents.

Miami is taking a more pragmatic approach and starting from square one. Yedlin seems to be a good step in that direction.