Guardian of the Galacticos: Welcome Thibaut Courtois!

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Aug 8, 2018.

1. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say at Courtois' peak level, he is better than Navas. Problem is getting to that level of form. He was awesome when he won the prem golden glove. He was also awesome way back when he was with Atleti.

Lyra repped this.
  2. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    He is not. We seem to have downgraded our keeper.
    Management made the choice to replace Navas when they signed Tibo and Solari is not making him wait to get him full in form.

3. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Simply put, Courtois is far better at controlling the box and handles crosses very well. Every cross is a challenge for Navas, who has spilled many over the years.

Both aren't great at distribution.

Navas is much better at reaction saves, and is more athletic.

At the end of the day, age is the deciding factor.

madridista_hr, PigBenis, Shay Z and 7 others repped this.
  4. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I really like Keylor, this view makes the most sense to me

5. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Well said. In the end it is a great deal to buy Courtois for cheap.

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Goalkeeper is pretty much the most overrated position on the field anyway. This is where good is definitely good enough.

7. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why we should be looking to "flip" Tibo for a profit and just keep Navas. Unfortunately in either scenario should Tibo be the want away Madrid is the only place to be and should Navas be the want away we won't make any money off of a transfer (because of age/backup status) and will probably spend as much just to bring in a backup.

8. madridlover123

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Sep 30, 2018
    Navas was very vulnerable at crosses whereas Courtois at his great height is better at catching crosses

9. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but we are not a bunker team so our GK in a usual game will only be called on to defend a few crosses or corner (if they are even near enough to the goal to warrant GK intervention).

However, our GK generally have to deal with counter attacks and defensive breakdowns that leave them in 1 v. 1 situations.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  10. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    Courtois conceded 3 goals from Haris fecking Seferovic when Belgium lost today.

This is probably the lowest point of Courtois’ career lol.

Seferovic is a shit striker who's seen as a meme by Swiss & Benfica fans.

11. yoanaidarov

yoanaidarov Member+

Real Madrid
    Bulgaria
    Sep 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    You make it sound like conceding those goals was 100% all his fault and he singlehandedly conceded them. No mention of the 10 players in front of him, who performed absolutely abysmally. Not to mention their idiotic coach. Some people even wanted Martinez here...

Shay Z repped this.
  12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Only on the Real Madrid forum you have people rubbing their hands together whenever a negative result of a Real Madrid player comes around.

13. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think he could have put in a little more effort in goals #4 and #5 but still they were pretty good shots that are hard to stop. I mean just look at goal #5, Seferovic is surrounded by 5+ players yet he is completely free. Apart from a miracle save, there's not much a GK can do there.

14. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YAY, Courtois conceded 5 goals.! Two manitas in one season. #legend #GOAT

15. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    The last time Keylor conceded 5 goals was in 2013 playing for Levante.

16. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays for powerhouse Costa Rica and in recent world cups he's had the good fortune to be drawn against minnows like Brazil, Italy, and England.

Just this last world cup he played lowly Switzerland. Courtois never gets the benefit of rubber stamped games in non competitive fixtures against "neutral" weaklings like the Swiss or he would never concede a goal.

17. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I love Navas and feel that he should start over Cortois.

But that's no reason for me to hate on Cortois who in my mind has done nothing wrong at the club.

Shay Z, S1na and Eddie repped this.
  18. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    He also kept a clean sheet against Holland with Robben, Sneider, and Van Persie for 120 minutes.

19. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #144 robnycus, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    I think he is overrated here based on what he did with Atletico but In my opinion he is not as good as most people think he is.
    Very similar to DeaGea who is also vastly overrated

20. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That ain't right man, can't hate on Courtois. He's here for the right reasons but that doesn't mean he should just be untouchable.

And these nations league games don't carry any weight. .Croatia put everything on the line at the world cup and left it all on the field in Russia, meanwhile England gets to play them a few months later in a home game at Wembley and suddenly the tables have turned. Gimme a break.

21. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Why do you whine so much? Seriously. Every damn thread, you're just whining and whining and whining. You just make up a narrative in your head and run away with it. I would ask you to show me who said Courtois is untouchable, but I know you just made that up to suit your narrative.

At the end of the day, the vast majority here want the best players to play, and the club to succeed. There is no hidden agendas. Cheer up.

Halycon, HZinho, Shay Z and 1 other person repped this.
  22. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Solari declared the GK competition was over while the discussion was if that is the right decision given Courtois was not presently the superior GK (based on skills, tactics, form, etc).

23. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    No that wasn't the discussion. The discussion was you were here celebrating the fact that Courtois let in 5 goals in an international game.

24. Forcamadrid2

Forcamadrid2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 13, 2017
    At the very least, you can say that courtois is on par with navas, each one with own strength and wesknesses. given their age, then it is normal Courtois becomes the starter.

25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nah. Navas is better