Guardian of the Galacticos: Welcome Thibaut Courtois!

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    There's not a shadow of doubt that Thibaut Courtois is a top class GK - in right circumstances. I personally don't think he was the best GK in World Cup. For me, the Danish GK Kasper Schmeichel was better than Courtois by a fair margin despite the former belonged in a far worse NT.

What scares me a bit is that Courtois has only looked great under coaches (José Mourinho, Diego Simeone or Antonio Conte) who shares the same ideology with their preference of having a deep defensive blocks. I believed Roberto Martinez would be different since he's a offensive-minded coach who prefers a high defensive back-line. Instead, Martinez discarded his former principles and Belgium played defensive football and it was very visable against big teams in World Cup.

At RM, Courtois won't have the luxury to have a deep defensive blocks in front of him but rather the opposite. Which will give him a proper test if he can actually adapt to this new situation. And I'm not sure if Courtois can handle it.

I've already previously talked about Courtois' ball-playing ability & distribution (throws and not just by feets alone). Which is a big concern and Courtois is not an upgrade to Keylor Navas. If RM needed a GK who is excellent on these areas, then I don't understand the purpose to sign Courtois.

Also, there's an another question mark that hasn't been adressed and it's about Courtois' mentality. What happens when Courtois' doesn't get along with Lopetegui? We have already seen the beef between him & Mourinho when even Begovic was better that season.

With all things being said, Courtois' is a very good shot-stopper. He is commanding in the air while being quick & agile despite being 1.90 m.

2. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    No, you made an incorrect statement, then supported another posters incorrect assertion.. which I had to correct you both upon.

3. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Lol why did you even respond to that part?

You saw I edited it on purpose just for our back and forth cowardice smack talk.

We did get the better deal. Courtois is better than DDG. Better than Kepa. He is also not a coward.

9Qui repped this.
  4. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I would have said the same about Courtois in 2017 if we had showed interest as we did with Hazard. Well he didn't renew and he got the leverage. Let's see if Hazard also resists more money in order to get more leverage or not. If he renews, you are clearly wrong.

5. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Yes and you would have been wrong.

Hazard has not renewed. He just sent some positivity his clubs way (far less than what Courtois said when he had two years remaining).

It's the intelligent move. They would never sell him for less than the absurd amounts they requested and we would never meet those valuations.

Only an idiot would demand out in that scenario where he'd end up stuck at the club for another year with pressure piling for him to sign another extension.

He has not signed an extension.

If his agents ask if we're still interested to make a deal in the summer and we tell them we aren't, then why should he hang himself out there like that.

I would rather get Neymar next summer so in the end it's not like Hazard is my top preference even though I am very fond of him.

Also kill that stupid narrative about players coming to our club and not taking the money. It's idiotic a club like ours with a wage bill as high as ours has fans who say things like that.

Anon. repped this.
  6. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    If he won't sign an extension to get the leverage of having only one year left in the next transfer window, you are right. It won't happen.

7. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The wrong side of minuto 93 - Tibo Courtois OT

8. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:whistling::whistling:

9. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Chelsea fans have been flooding his social media with snake emojis ever since the transfer. Guess he's had enough and taking shots. :D

Deep Pal repped this.
  10. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Lmao...…. if anyone has the right to call him a snake its the Colchoneros. Because they are our actual rivals in Spain and Europe. Do Chelsea fans think they are at the same level as us or our rivals in anything? Lol.

Deep Pal and Anon. repped this.
  11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He was on loan there wasn't he?

12. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    Conceded 5 goals against Barcelona today.

To be fair, the defence in front of Courtois was ********ing shite...

I felt sorry when they left him out to dry countless times.

madridlover123 repped this.
  13. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Eh I would love to see a shot to save ratio for this guy, it seems like every time it’s on target it’s a goal against him, the only extraordinary save I remember him making was against Atleti when Griezman tried to lob him and the ball hit his head.

I’m not saying Courtois isn’t a good keeper what I’m saying is that Madrid need a keeper who is more alert and quicker to come his line when the need arise and that keeper is Navas, he should play all the important games in my book.

14. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    He made two great saves against Barca.. but his reflexes in short range shots in almost zero.. He just goes in one direction predicting the trajectory and not reacting to it..

15. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    "I've made a decision and he is the man."

It appears that the #RealMadrid goalkeeping situation is settled.

Solari has made his mind up.

https://t.co/ce4hZ3oCzz https://t.co/4c0vK1pym2

navas won't be seeing much game time now

Yannick Relens repped this.
  16. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I feel bad for Navas.

Ahmadi8, Deep Pal and Drouchk repped this.
  17. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    They should have sold Navas straight away. I mean what point in having two excellent goalies.

yoanaidarov repped this.
  18. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Navas is better

Deep Pal, robnycus and Drouchk repped this.
  19. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    can someone help me to understand in what area Courtois better keeper than Navas? can't see that

J-Mezzy repped this.
  20. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He is taller. That's about it.

He is also European and more famous. That doesn't hurt.

21. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Navas has absolutely shocking distribution. If the ball isn't a short pass to a defender it's a 100% turnover.

Anon. and yoanaidarov repped this.
  22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The club tried it but Navas wanted to stay.

yoanaidarov repped this.
  23. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Ironically Courtois is an even worst distributer, be it short or long.

Lyra and Halycon repped this.
  24. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just wanted to post that lol, Courtois is even worse. You can tell who watch (international) games and who dont.

Deep Pal, Drouchk and J-Mezzy repped this.