Guardian of the Galacticos: Welcome Thibaut Courtois!

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Aug 8, 2018.

1. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's impressing Alaba and Schweini, and those guys played with Prime Neuer.

2. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
  3. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He probably couldn't care less. He has more UCL trophies than that club in its entire history. :ROFLMAO:

4. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Deep Pal, Lyra and Shay Z repped this.
  5. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #880 saadomar, May 31, 2022
    Last edited: May 31, 2022
    It just goes to show what a lowly and small-minded club that is with a fragile ego. Simeone doesn't behave as classless off the pitch, but on the pitch they're a buncha scum and eventually these kinds of behaviors permeate into the fandom. I feel bad for all the little kids who look up to people at that club. Their president's previous occupation was producing film, which perhaps explains his need to be bombastic and overly dramatic. By comparison, the president of Real Madrid is a civil engineer and billionaire construction magnate.

Deep Pal, S1na and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  6. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Atletico are so funny with their frustration towards Real. They're like the little brother that always loses on Playstation and then throws tantrums. I bet Courtois doesn't care one bit about the plate.

Deep Pal, S1na, Ssr9 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Of course he cares. How would you feel if your former former employer threw out that employee of the month award they pinned to the office wall seven years ago?!

Deep Pal, Zidane05 and Digital repped this.
  8. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Deep Pal repped this.
  9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They should always put a plaque on their "Walkway of Legends" after the players' retirement. Their careers have not been completed. Why would they deserve to be honored? They could always wait.

If the player in question is Koke, perhaps, he deserves to be on their walkway as of 2022 because he is the second in appearances for the club. What did Thibaut Courtois do in Atletico Madrid? He won some trophies, which meant alot to a small club, but he only spent three seasons on loan there.

10. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Whole heartedly agree with this one. What’s the rush. I see it in other sports as well now. Hall of fame talk was usually during the last season of someone’s career or after their retirement. The constant need for content is a pox on sports.

Deep Pal, S1na and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  11. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Apparently every Atlético player gets this plaque as soon as they play 100 games for the club. [emoji23]

Deep Pal and 4x4s repped this.
  12. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007

You guys remember when most of us were angry that Zizou stopped the Kepa transfer to us in January. Thank you Zizou.

Deep Pal, -Reivax-, Aensensen and 4 others repped this.
  13. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I was not amongst you :D

Deep Pal, petros93 and Anon. repped this.
  14. Aensensen

Aensensen Member+

Jun 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    https://soccerfootballwhatever.blogspot.com/2021/02/top-10-real-madrid-goalkeepers.html

Top 10 Real Madrid Greatest Goalkeepers

Thibaut Courtois was unranked when I created this blog in 2021, but I elevated him to the 6th position after he won the Champions' League Final in 2022. His individual performance against Liverpool in the Final was probably the best ever for a Real Madrid goalkeeper in a EC/CL Final. At the time of writing, he already played more games for Real Madrid than Keylor Navas. So it was obvious to rank him ahead of Navas. In time, he might go higher.

Francisco Buyo, Miguel Angel and Garcia Remon did not have the same international reputation as Courtois, but they were long time servant to the club. Iker needs no introduction while Ricardo Zamora was the club's first star player.

Bodo illgner dropped out of top 10 because Courtois. I don't really know how to rank him against others. I previously rewarded him with the 10th place for bringing the Champions League home after 32 years.

Deep Pal and S1na repped this.
  16. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Deep Pal, saadomar and Doni repped this.
  17. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This tower of terror went from unnecessary signing to indispensable

Respect

Deep Pal and Shay Z repped this.
  18. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    #893 Shay Z, Jun 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    And from what we’ve seen lately he seems to be already moving into that leadership group in the dressing room. And he has the right mentality for it too. Before last season I hadn’t heard him talk too much and didn’t know how competitive this guy is.

Florentino or maybe it was someone else said that the biggest difference they see between this squad and other successful ones is that there are a lot of Madridistas on this one. That can only bode well for the culture we are passing on to the new arrivals.

Doni, Saint Iker, ahnaf and 8 others repped this.
  19. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard or seen stories about Vinicius being a Madrid fan growing up but he has the club flowing I'm hus veins at this point. Ditto Modric.

On the other hand we've all seen the picture of Bale in a Madrid jersey as a boy and he never hesitated to take a dump on the club.

So I think it's safe to say that's too easy to fake being a Madristas a la Mbappe and lull the club into believing something that isn't a sure thing. I'm not sure a Madridista test is as reliable a method as it may seem for gaging loyalty.

saadomar, Aensensen and J-Mezzy repped this.
  20. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    I don't necessarily see them as fake Madrid supporters, they are more like they put themselves above the collective.

21. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kids in Europe buy tons of kits to play in, one day it's a Madrid kit, the other day it's a Milan one.

I founds some Bari and other Serie A gear on sale and I use the jackets to get a good sweat during cardio, not like I'm a Bari fan.

Özil was a self professed Barca fan, after we signed him he scrubbed that off his online bio.

Aensensen repped this.
  22. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    #897 Shay Z, Jul 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    All that being true but there’s also kids who grow up only Real Madrid fans. Yes they also exist. is it so hard to believe that we have 6-7 players (maybe more considering our cantera) in our current squad who actually feel love for the club? Whether that started in childhood or after they joined. That is what was meant in the statement I mentioned. It doesn’t make it a better or worse squad on field necessarily but that’s something the president noticed.

Not that it makes them score more goals or make more saves but it shows up in lots of other areas. In the dressing room. On the negotiation table. Dealing with the fans. Mentoring the new guys. Carrying yourself the right way etc etc

Say what you will about him but did you see Raul come out of the tunnel before the CL final to sing the Madrid hymn with the fans. He was singing out loud and the look on his face wasnt of someone who once played in the atleti academy. How cool was that. Yes people grow up with all sorts of shirts in their closets and nobody has to be pure bred when it comes to fandom but I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to think Modric or Benzema have a feeling about the club close to how you and I feel about it. And I am not even talking about Marcelo.

saadomar, Aensensen, PigBenis and 7 others repped this.
  23. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    It doesnt even matter if the player was a Madrid fan growing up or not

As long as he's professional and overall a nice guy, I'm cool with that.

Aensensen repped this.
  24. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

25. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid