Group Play in Germany Will Be Difficult for the U.S.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by auf Amerika, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Palmetto Soccer

Palmetto Soccer New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Greenville, SC

Hi bltleo,

I really do not like Germany's style of play...please don't take offense (insert happy face). But I definitely respect the German's game. They are always a threat to win the World Cup and on home soil...they will surely do well in 2006.

Since this is the US forum...I will try to keep this post about the US squad. That said, I simply can't wait to watch the US play in the 2006 World Cup. Bring on any country in the world....let's go, now! Is anyone else excited! Yeah, let's get it on, right now! USA, USA, USA, USA!!!!

2. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

thank you for your honest comment.
    I accept your opinion that you don´t like germany´s style of play.
    You are right on your own opinion. I like Germany because I´m from
    Germany of course. This is normal. But similar to you I only write
    on this US board, for US men and analysis and I´m fan of USMNT.
    So USA is my second favorite team and I wish for US team only
    the best. I told is several times here - many of you know it already-
    I wish finale USA-GERMANY. I know englismen would wish maybe
    finale USA-England. It is normal as well. But I know that USA will
    do well in 2006. I have feeling for this. I believe in your team.
    How else I could be your fan?, Fan of US national team?
    your bltleo

3. twh3

twh3 New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think it is a team game, but if you look at teams in Europe they have more quality in most cases than we do. That said, we can win games with a young, energetic side that has loads of talent and a coach who can mold it.

Sides I don't want to face? Meaning, I think we could give them a game but would expect not to surprise with a win/draw?

Germany-- they are too dangerous with Ballack and they score loads. Klinnsman's approach seem to be to outscore everyone, so we could get some goals back, but combine this with hosting, and I don't want to see them.

England- barring injury, I believe they have the second best group of players, right behind Brazil. That said, Erikson is not my favorite manager, but any side that starts Rooney, Owen, Beckham, J Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, A Cole-- that is too much for us, I think.

Brazil-- nooooo.. please. Kaka, Big Ron, Little Ron, Adriano, R Carlos, Cafu, etc etc. Too good.

Teams I would be interested to play, meaning I think would be up for an upset?

Spain-- somehow always stumble

Holland (although if Robben and Ruud are healthy, watch out)-- I think we could hang in this game (cuz we have before)

Argentina-- quality again, but I think we could give them a game, for some reason. Riquelme doesn't strike as much fear in me as others, maybe its just me. Great side, but i think most beatable/drawable of the big name sides.

Italy- TOUGH side, always tough to score against and they play great tactics for international game. However, again, I think we could give this side a test. They play everyone close.

Czech Repub- Ive watched Baros not score for two years as Liverpool supporter... Nedved is older but still dangerous. They don't scare me.

Its going to be a FUN summer next year!!! I like us as QFinalists regardless. I think we can get it done... we have to, it doesn't matter who we play.

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

...I still can't get over this post....I stayed up half the night watching this game again....( for the tenth time ) shots on goal were 11 each....shots on target favored England..at the end both commentators agreed England deserved to win the game...Argentina dominated possession the last 12 /15 minutes AFTER England had replaced Owen with Wayne Bridge, and decided to "shut up shop" prior to that England had BY FAR the better chances...Seaman had ONE relatively difficult save the ENTIRE friggin' game....the argies got what they deserved ....beat...argentina would not have scored six had England played without a goalkeeper....(they didn't have anywhere near six shots on target )

5. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I also think the worst scenario would be group with USA; Germany and England. Definitely one of then would need to finish the tournament earlier.
    This is what I don´t want. I would like to see game USA-Germany but not
    in the group, maybe later in semi-finale. England. I think England belongs
    simply to any WC and I find all WC´s or European cups a bit "boring" without
    our biggest rival England or Holland. England soccer or as they use
    to say football have special english specialities and they have very
    good plyers like Owen, Roony, Beckham. It is always pleasure to watch them.
    I also always liked games Germany-England - but not in first games, better
    to meet later. So I hope we will don´t have group: England, USA, Germany.

If Germany is dangerous? Yes we are always dangerous. I know that
    Klinsmann strategy for WC 06 is dangerous:). Concerning England. Yu are right
    they are super dangerous as well.

So we just can hope not to have USA, England and Germany in one group.

your bltleo

6. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No hoping is necessary on that point -- with both England and Germany seeded, you won't be seeing them in the same group.

7. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

how do you mean it?:)

8. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England and Germany will both be seeded. They will be drawn from the same pot. They will wind up in different groups. So no need to worry about having both of them plus the U.S. in a group -- at worst, the U.S. will be drawn with one of them or the other, but not both.

9. okiebear

okiebear New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Bucks County
    Germany two years ago was an aging, slow, defensive patsy. Klinsmann has gotten rid of the deadwood and brought in some fast skilled kids and allowed them to attack. They are fun to watch now. In a year, they won't be much fun to play against.

10. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree...dont want germany in my group for the USA in 2006

but in addition to that, i dont think we'd do that well against Italy...i dont find them to be suspect to our counterattack, but i spose its possible.

top teams that i believe can be had by the USA's style of play

Mexico, Spain, France, maybe Argentina (they are so cocky i think theyunderestimate every team they play except Brazil).....

i believe that if we played anyone like Holland, England, Germany, Brazil, or Italy, we would be supreme underdogs

11. okiebear

okiebear New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Bucks County
    Right, but only if we insist on bunkering and counter-attacking. The U.S. team has got to begin attacking full-field. And defending full-field. Italy does not like close marking all the way up the field. They want teams to lay back and wait to be chopped up.

12. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I'd add one more team to this list that I do not want to see in the group stages: The Czech Republic. They are probably one of the best teams in Europe right now and can bury the US if they're clicking. But then again, except for maybe the winner of the 4th place CONCACAF-5th place Asian playoff, I believe there will be no cupcakes at this WC. The US can beat anyone (save Brazil) and can be beaten by anyone in this WC, depending on how well (or poorly) we play.

13. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    WTF England66 speaking sense :eek: ;) Yep Seaman (stain) made one save the entire match.

p.s bloddy fibbing taffy :mad: :mad: :mad

14. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

your right, but do you think Arena will allow them to open up like that. in 2002, against Portugal and Mexico, we got and early goal and it loosened up the team, but against Poland we got down and we just couldnt get up the field.

the best way to beat Italy is to do what South Korea did, run them ragged and take advantage of any slip ups which are few and far between.

The USA will have to be almost perfect to beat Italy, and the USA is rarely perfect for 90 minutes

15. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

...it would help then to have 11 South Korean-Americans ( is that politically correct ? ) in the line-up, a friendly ref and play them at home....