Group of Life where maybe everyone has a chance

Discussion in 'Group H: Belgium, Algeria, South Korea, Russia' started by Iranian Monitor, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Marar4

Marar4 New Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I know, but that doesn't mean i have to like it. Also I forgot to mention that the injury is an ankle sprain.

2. wiz0rd

wiz0rd Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Moscow
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    ----------------Kokorin------------------
    Zhirkov-------Dzagoev----------Samedov
    -------------------Faizulin----------
    ---------Denisov---------------------
    Schennikov-Ignashevich-Berezutski-Eschenko
    -----------------Akinfeev---------------------

looks like the starting XI for Russia. Although there's still a chance Shatov starts over Dzagoev. He's been superb lately.

Marar4 and Blondo repped this.
  3. Nordino

Nordino Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Haugesund, Norway
    Hard to predict Algeria's starting line-up, but my guess is this:

------------Slimani----------
    Soudani ------------------Feghouli
    ------ Taider - Bentaleb ------------
    -------------Medjani------------------
    Ghoulam-Cadamuro-Bougherra-Mandi
    -----------M'Bolhi---------

* Brahimi, Djabou or Mahrez could well be in the starting lineup.
    * Vahid might then opt for Soudani as striker and leave Slimani on the bench
    * I suspect Vahid is considering a more defensive central mid against Belgium. Then Lacen would replace Bentaleb.

After 20 years of drought, it is finally difficult to pick players in the Algerian NT again :D

Marar4 and Blondo repped this.
  4. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Which players are more or less certainties? ... who would Brahimi, Djabou or Mahrez replace in your best guess line-up?

5. Nordino

Nordino Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Haugesund, Norway
    Certain players: Ghoulam, Bougherra, Feghouli
    There is a lot of competition for all spots, so I am not sure about anything else than those players mentioned above.

M'Bolhi, Mandi and Medjani should be playing. The rest is a big question mark. Especially in the attacking midfield positions we have Brahimi, Soudani, Ghilas, Mahrez, Djabou and Feghouli fighting for the same spots, with only the latter being "safe" in the starting lineup.

Maybe some other Algeria fans in here could help with their take on this.

Blondo repped this.
  6. jemeldz

jemeldz Member

Dec 6, 2013
    paris, france
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    i don't think at all that slimani will begin against belgium. his best (only) weapon is his head... and against belgians giant defenders, it is useless.
    better to have a fast guy like soudani...

IMO, the starting line against belgium :

--------------------Soudani***
    Brahimi**----------------------------Feghouli
    -----------Bentaleb------Taider*
    -------------------Medjani
    Ghoulam - Cadamuro - Boughera - Mandi
    ---------------------Mbohli

* or lacen. one will begin and the other will replace him during the game
    ** or djabou or mahrez : these 3 guys have same profile. dribbling and offensive wingers. I prefer mahrez but i dont know wich one will begin. I also know that one of the other will enter during the game.
    *** will be replaced by ghilas or slimani

Blondo repped this.
  7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    We're not that big ... Valbuena is just a little guy:

[​IMG]

8. jemeldz

jemeldz Member

Dec 6, 2013
    paris, france
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    loooooool valbubu

9. DZfennec

DZfennec Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Against Belgium, I'd say the following is certain:

-----------------------GK
    RB-------Bougherra----Cadamuro----Ghoulam
    ---------------------Medjani
    -------------Taider-----------Bentaleb
    Feghouli------------------------------------LW
    -----------------------ST

So a 4-1-2-2-1 type formation that Vahid likes to play. 4 positions up for grab. Zemmamouche vs M'bolhi in goal but I'd expect M'bolhi to play. RB is between Mostefa and Mandi. How this is even up for grabs I'll never know, Mandi is a much better player. Just hope Vahid doesn't make the mistake of playing Mostefa. LW will be between Mahrez/Djabou/Brahimi. I'd expect it to be Mahrez. Brahimi is the better player of the 3 but I think Vahid will save him for when we play a 4-2-3-1 against one/both of the other teams in the group. Up front is between Soudani/Slimani/Ghilas. Soudani favourite after Slimani showed some poor finishing over last 2 friendlies. I would personally have Ghilas there, but Ghilas wasn't given a chance in this role in friendlies, which indicates that it will be between the other two.

Blondo repped this.
  10. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Love the illusion in that pic. It looks like Fellaini could pick Valbuena up and put him in his pocket!

11. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    whats implication for brazillian climate condition for the group? would it be an over simplication to claim that algeria would have advantage over the other three?

12. DzFooty

DzFooty Member

Feb 22, 2014

You're looking too hard into it. Algeria hardly has any advantage. They're on the same boat as Belgium since most of their players are European born. Also, you'd be surprised how cold Algeria gets - it's not all Sahara Desert. :sneaky:

Korea should be fine as well. I don't know enough about Russia and their playing conditions to know how they'd fare. It does get very cold in parts of Russia but there are also very warm climates next to the Caucuses as well. I'd imagine it won't be too bad for their players. Capello is a top class coach and his team will be prepared.

bobjones2 repped this.
  13. jemeldz

jemeldz Member

Dec 6, 2013
    paris, france
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    Algeria will play one match at belo horizonte.
    And the two other matches in cities of tve south. Where there is a cool climate in june.

14. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Now it is safe to say that Russia, Algeria, and Belgium are secured 3 points as minimum.

15. DzFooty

DzFooty Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Algeria hasn't won a World Cup game in 32 years. Korea has quality. They're not looking too good but they may be a bit unlucky too. I still think they can beat Algeria or Russia on a good day.

16. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    lmao why is the russian guy so cocky for? russia hasn't done anything relevant in football since yashin. they are literally the last fan base that should be poking fun at anyone. hell this is the first world cup that russia is scheduled to appear in since 2002. at least algeria made it to the last world cup. anyways whoever makes it to the round of 16 will most likely be eliminated right away by whoever progresses from group g. germany, portugal, and ghana will be too much for everyone in group h with the exception of belgium. even then belgium's inexperience might cost them later on in the tournament.

17. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #142 GoYoungrokba, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    I am not saying it just because we've just lost to Ghana 4-0.

We are not playing as a team. Defenders making same mistakes over and over while midfielders are clueless with their positioning. Attackers are trying their butts off but they don't seem to have good rapport among themselves.
    Our goalies can't block a damn shot on goal. Meanwhile our coaching staffs are too stubborn and clinging to strategies which are too predictable.

I do hope for big miracle my mate. But it is unlikely to transform the whole team from a to z in a week or so.

18. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Doubt Algeria at your own peril they will preform much better then you think. They have a legit shot at getting out of their group more then s.korea imo. I think Belgium will win the group, Russia as runner up.

19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't think my comment suggested Algeria should be doubted! I wrote those comments before Algeria's recent friendlies, when they were often picked by most people around here to finish last in the group. My comment was to suggest that this group has a lot more parity than people were claiming. For instance, I have predicted that Algeria is unlikely to lose to S.Korea. However, for some bizarre reason, I think S.Korea will do better against Belgium than how Algeria will and I see how Russia does against S.Korea and Algeria respectively as holding the key to who will join Belgium as the other team to advance from this group?

20. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope Algeria advances as the 2nd group because I support CAF teams. But I suspect Russia will be runner up. I think Iran can make noise if they defeat Nigeria in the opener....

21. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Algeria does possess elements to have successful campaign in this edition of the World Cup. They are very quick in transition and dangerous on counter. I wouldn't be surprised if they make the quarterfinals.

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I believe Algeria have a good shot, but so does everyone else including not just Russia but Korea as well. Even though Belgium would be the favorites, I wouldn't necessarily say they are assured of advancing either. When I look at this group, in fact, what jumps to my mind is parity across the board between the 4 teams (with Belgium having a slight advantage only). Otherwise, I don't rate Russia better than Algeria or Korea.

23. Samindc

Samindc New Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The friendlies are finally over so we'll be able to judge the teams with real results starting next tuesday. Yesterday's 4-0 score is meaningless. Korea is a very dangerous team that will definetly not be underestimated by any of the other teams
    If there's a winner between Russia/Korea game that team will have a huge advantage to go through.
    As an Algerian, I'm hoping we get at least a tie with Belgium. A loss coupled with a winner among Korea/Russia game will make it much harder for Algeria to advance (though not impossible).

24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm sorry but after the sleugh of friendlies South Korea seems the weakest in the group. As it stands Belgium, Russia, ALgeria, South Korea

25. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    South Korea seems in a very bad period.
    Algérie is better than usually and Russia didn't reach round 16 since 86...

i'll go with Belgium and Russia as Russia got a better schedule than Algeria but it's far from being sure...