Group G (USA, FRA, COL, PRK) [R]

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Lusankya, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    65' 1-0 #10 Yun Hyon-Hi splits two defenders at box top left post, shoots awkward twisting shot with left foot, hooks way wide right. Ragged and tired.

67' 1-0 Necib(?) dribbles centerward at 30m, surprises everybody with a right instep cutback vertically through arc left. Threads through 3 defenders, flummoxes Delie so badly that she actualy steps back toward the ball, then realizes it's a perfect through-ball if she had just kept going goalward. Delie turns goalward but blasts high. Hmph.

68' 1-0 Bussaglia picks up a loose ball behind box top left, shoots/crosses wide right, misses Thomis through 6-right foot.

69' 1-0 Abily squares to Bussaglia at 25m right post, she shanks it high wide right.

2. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER...

3. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
  4. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    France is back! :)

Guess everyone in this group prefers to score toward the end of the match..

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70' 2-0 #12 Thomis collects at midfield right, centers to Abily(?), and it's a 3-v-3 sprinting boxward. Necib at 25m center glances left toward Necib(?) to pull the CBs, rolls it the other way through arc right into Thomis's stride. Thomis chases it to 8m 6-right, blasts low right instep and beats #1 Jo Yun Mi near post.

71' 3-0 France spring #12 Thomis down the right lane again, her pace tears DPRK's flank apart. Thomis turns corner and bends inward to 6-top right, crosses fast to 5m right post and #11 Delie insteps easily to low center.

6. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thomis and Abily have turned this match around.

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Wheels definitely fell off for Korea. Must have been a lightning incident not yet reported.

8. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure I saw a flash of lightning streaking down the right flank, but it was so fast that I can't be certain :)

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    77' 3-0 Abily chases 2 defenders into the right corner. Clearance try hits her or the other defender, bounces into her stride and she gathers. Backpass hits Thomis sprinting through box top right. Defender slide-tackles ball toward endline, Thomis stops it. Cross is poor, DPRK clears.

78' 3-0 Thomis vs the gassed LB looks like a cornerback chasing down a pulling guard -- from 3m behind at box top to 3m ahead in front of the endline. Crosses high to nobody, over the mouth and Jo stays in goal. Necib(?) gathers at box left foot, lackadaisical low cross intercepted by a recovering defender.

80' 3-0 France subs in (3 of 3) #13 Camille Catala for #11 Marie-Laure Delie.

10. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That's my girl! Go Wendi!

11. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Maybe this display will boost their confidence for the rest of the tournament

12. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah the same lightning strikes that forced FIFA's drug testers to call a time out on their WWC 2015 hopes ;).

13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    81' 3-0 France razzle-dazzle through box top arc left, #17 Thiney emerges all alone at 8m left post. Overthinks her shot as #1 Jo Yun Mi charges, taps under her and misses wide left by cm's. Replay shows a micro-touch, good save.

82' 4-0 France left corner, curls to 8m right post. #1 Jo comes out and flaps a palm, #2 Wendie Renard gets up higher and heads it solidly into center high.

83' 4-0 #8 Bompastor breaks in through box top left, hip-checked and barrel-rolls down in the box. Ref misses it (or chooses to), gives Bompastor a mercy (on the other team) yellow for simulation. Rimshot!

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I'd like to be the fly on the wall at the referee's assessors meetings today.

That yellow was so bad it was funny.

15. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Cat has done well tonight. I just remember being so annoyed listening to her do NCAA coverage.

16. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    87' 5-0 Abily chips long down right touch, dies perfectly for #12 Thomis. She lifts head and crosses outswinging to 9m right post. #13 Camille Catala trails in the seam, dives and drives her torso ccw, heads perfectly down and bounces into the left back corner. Acres of space back there, with DPRK pushing up for a consolation.

17. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, not anywhere near as bad as the late, cleats to the knee challenge by Soubs that she overlooked in the first few minutes.

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+1' (of +3') 5-0 Necib threatens through box top left. Ball pings around box, comes back to 24m arc left. Necib regathers, tries the cutback instep roller, too soft and wide left.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

True... I predict an early fight home for the arbiter.

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+4' (of +3') 5-0 DPRK right corner, to 5m left post and Bouhaddi gets high and catches confidently. FT.

6+5 (+7-2) USA
    3+3 (+7-4) France
    3-3 (+2-5) DPR Korea
    0-5 (+0-5) Colombia

Colombia is not mathematically eliminated yet: Any win vs France, plus USA beating DPRK, moves Colombia into a tie (at 3 pts GD-4) with DPRK. So they need a 2+ goal margin in either match to pip DPRK for a 3rd-place spot, then be not-worst 3rd among the 3 groups.

Addendum: A 4-goal win vs France :D ties them at 3-1, and then I think Colombia takes 2nd on head-to-head.

wokeupfuzzy repped this.
  21. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    ^^thanks for doing the math.

22. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sigh, Australia could have been the French punching bag tonight, but only if FIFA cared....:rolleyes:

I have seen this French side play many times before this, and many time before this they have also looked a lot better too, but this France side in form should be a contender for a medal, no matter how uninspiring their kit or Bini are.

Japan vs France on horizon....:cautious:

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Wouldn't any top 10 team. " in form" Be a contender?

Despite their pounding of Korea, I'm not sure they won this possession game either.

And France could easily have had to play short for 80 minutes. They were very fortunate.

Waiting for the stats.

24. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hmmm, out of the 8 here, only two nations have a genuine chance of Gold. USA, and the USA ;).

Being serious though, the reigning world champs and U.S. are always the obvious contenders for gold, with a up and comer like France usually doing better than expected too.

So yeah. I did it, I put down the chances of Brazil, Sweden, and GB for Gold :eek:, and that's because Sweden remain a team who love to flirt with the idea of wining, while Brazil are still rebuilding, with GB just replacing England, and of course we all know how that will end :rolleyes:.
    I don't know where your going with that, but OK check away... :unsure:.

guignol repped this.
  25. Greg_G

Greg_G Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wait, you're still talking about a match that you didn't even bother to watch? And you think you can save face by throwing out a list of random genocides, as if they have anything to do with Olympic soccer? Oh, I see, you're one of those guys who likes to pretend as if he knows what he's talking about, and then when he gets called on it gets increasingly juvenile in his responses. Well, how about you take your 5 emoticons, and your insightful Hope Solo scouting report from three days ago, and not respond to my posts...unless you're ready to meet the high intellectual demands of BS - which, if I'm not mistaken, require one to, I don't know, watch a match every now and then. I'm sure you and Newsouth have plenty to discuss considering Alex Morgan didn't score a goal today.

Namdynamo and Batfink repped this.