Group G is for Grudgematches

Discussion in 'Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal' started by fingersave, Jun 6, 2014.

1. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We deserved to beat Germany in 2002. We'll give them a game again in 2014. We're not scared by Eurosnobbery.

2. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    Pretty much every opponent deserved to beat the 2002 Germany team. :D

3. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oliver Kahn.

A great keeper is worth any other player on the field. They can erase multiple otherwise critical mistakes a game.

4. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Your rant doesn't disprove what Eser told you, that you take too much stock in WCQ. What matters is what's happening NOW, at the WC. Mexico, and more importantly, Rich Coast, are showing their true worth. The WC shows a team's true mettle. WCQ, not so much.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    To suggest that the form shown in the World Cup shows the "true metal" of a team, while the form shown in qualifying doesn't, is IMO misguided. The fact is teams show different form, sometimes in one half as opposed to another half, in the same game! Many times their form varies from one game to the next in the same tournament. Often, their form varies from one tournament to another tournament. That is just how it is and few teams are completely consistent and stable in the form they exhibit.

With regard to Mexico, they were doing great before 2013 and suddenly had a very poor year. It seems, however, going by Costa Rica's great form in this tournament, part of the problem they faced is that the quality of the opposition in CONCACAF had improved as well. In any case, Mexico has certainly looked very good and has been one of the better teams so far, just below half a dozen who have impressed more.

6. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Despite Kahn, Klose and Ballack - this was the crappiest squad Germany ever fielded. To be seen in Euro 2000 and 2004. Even they couldnt help when there came decent oppositon - in the group stage(!).

Besides, bringing up a game that's been played over 10 years ago doesnt help for an evalution of this time's encounter. Not at all.

7. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    How is it misguided? WC and WCQ are 2 different animals. You judge the team by how they do at the WC, not WCQ if they qualify. The reason is because the WC is infinitely more important. No one cares how they get to the WC, as long as they get there.

You're right that form changes from game to game and even half to half. That doesn't change the fact that teams are judged by WC form, not by WCQ form. No one cares about WCQ form, that phase is over and done with, all qualified teams accomplished their mission of getting to the big dance.

Iran is about to be judged in 20 minutes, the world will be watching. No one cares how they did in WCQ, it's all about now.

8. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring it on Germans! Just don't put Torsten Frings in the game. ;)

[​IMG]

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Given that a draw would put both teams through, I'm not expecting this to be the most exciting of games.

I'm curious to know though how US supporters feel about the 5 min extra time yesterday. I didn't see the game so I don't know what kind of stoppage there was in the second half. There were three goals scored, and typically refs add 30s per goal, so what could account for the other 3m30s?

Perhaps this is a future grudge match?

10. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was excessive. I expected it though. Klinsmann said it himself after the game...these tournaments are set up to give advantage to the favorites. When you're an underdog (which the US soccer team is, despite the fact that we are the world politico/social/economic/military power), you see this crap unfold above you all the time and you learn to expect it. I expect us to have to go above and beyond the favorites to win these games.

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Urs Meier, Swiss ref ref legend and tv pundit for German tv, said the refs would have new gudielines with the clear direction twoards giving excessive extra time for time-wasting etc. Last to be seen: CL final, Chile-Spain with even 6 minutes extra time. A normal extra time of 3 minutes doesnt happen anyore. Nothing special about it.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  12. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Now you know how fans of the Canadian MLS clubs feel. :p

13. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it wasn't. 4 subs at about 30s each, the JJ yellow card, quite a number of injuries, most minor, but the time added up. Just before they announced, I predicted added time would be 4 minutes. It was, originally... then the Gonzales-for-Zusi sub was taking quite a while, so they bumped it up to 5 min. Read the refereeing forum... neutrals and even USA fans who understand what you add time for feel that 5 min of stoppage was perfectly fair--maybe even should have been 6. I was heartsick about the goal, but "excessive" stoppage time had nothing to do with it.