Group G discussion (SWE, USA, AUS, NZL)

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by lil_one, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    kolabear, blissett and West Ender repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly not sad about the USA loss. Too bad it was too early to for me to watch.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sweden always has the USWNT's number... I don't know why, but they're the USWNT bogey team. From 2011-now, the series stands at 5 US wins, 4 SWE wins, and 4 draws. Honestly, if it's a wake-up call, I'm glad it's the first match of the tournament.

JanBalk, lil_one, kolabear and 1 other person repped this.
  5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Btw if one look at how the two teams in Sweden vs USA behaves during their anthem it say a lot of the difference between the two countries and their citizens.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not been able to find a highlight of it so far. Can you describe what you are talking about?

7. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    What are you implying? :D I missed the anthems today.

8. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Swedes all stand together one arm around the Team mate on each side, all sings, do not turn towards the flag.

Americans stands at attention turned against the flag, all in a row everyone standing alone hand on heart. Almost half do not sing (or possibly sing so quitely that they do not move their lips).

9. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Protect Hurtig at all costs.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, gotcha. I will say, our national anthem has politics wrapped up in it and there have recently been stronger and stronger calls to have the song changed. But as for unity, I understand the comment about Sweden.

11. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

kolabear repped this.
  12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Well done Sweden but that shirt colour is just not acceptable. Highlighter yellow?

[​IMG]

nightofrefs, West Ender and kolabear repped this.
  13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Best anthem singers of all time are the Italian men's NT. They all sing with gusto. I'll watch Italian NT matches just for the anthem.

14. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    She's a big lass, I think she'll be fine!

kolabear and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  15. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    I get your point. I was just on a news site where somone in the comments was upset that they had not reported that the USWNT toke the knee turned away from the flag duing the anthem.

Which they did not, they all stod turned towards the flag during the anthem.
    First after the anthems where played but before the kick off all players (both teams) toke the knee.

soccernutter and kolabear repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is "took" not "toke." Toke is what one does with cannabis. ;)

JanBalk and West Ender repped this.
  17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, alas, more than what the team did during the anthem (which is still wrapped up in a lot of the team protesting outside of the Olympics), a lot more is said about the US as a country currently from the people who are spreading the misinformation that the team took a knee during the anthem and are attacking the team because of it and rejoicing that the team lost.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only imagine Dunn's social media. Her and Rapinoe must get so much hate. :(

JanBalk and lil_one repped this.
  19. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Several observations, some of which have likely already been noted.
    My headline:
    "Shocking yellow Shocks US"
    > Sweden looked faster, more organized, more hungry and simply took more risks than the USA. Sweden seems to have taken their game up some notches to a wow factor.
    > The US looked strangely confused and a little tired - they chased instead of played
    > Sad amount of soft bumble-fumbles from key shot makers whom usually sizzle
    > Usually the USWNT is a sure bet for some dazzle and raw artistry - I saw none here
    > The US defense, one of the best in the world, looked a day late and dollar short
    > I love Carli, but seeing her sweating and exhausted at the end summed up how the US played overall, and made me question why she was brought in for Morgan
    > I wonder if the loss of their old US fitness coach (name escapes me) played a role?
    > *Something* was missing in the USWNT. What that something was, I don't know
    > The flag comment - hmmm. I don't think the politics are related to play in general, but it is interesting to consider the lack of unity during anthems compared to lack of connections on field.
    > The UGLIEST yellow I have ever seen on a soccer field, that should be banned for its sheer glaring, blinding hideousness. But maybe it worked in their favor?

20. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Sweden vs. Australia

Referee
    (BRA) ALVES Edina

Assistant Referee 1
    (BRA) BACK Neuza

Assistant Referee 2
    (ECU) AMBOYA Monica

4th Official
    (RWA) MUKANSANGA Salima

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)
    (POR) MARTINS Tiago

Assistant VAR (AVAR)
    (EGY) ASHOUR Mahmoud

New Zealand vs. USA

Referee
    (FRA) FRAPPART Stephanie

Assistant Referee 1
    (FRA) NICOLOSI Manuela

Assistant Referee 2
    (IRL) O'NEILL Michelle

4th Official
    (ARG) FORTUNATO Laura

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)
    (ITA) GUIDA Marco

Assistant VAR (AVAR)
    (MAR) ZOURAK Adil

lil_one, West Ender, kolabear and 2 others repped this.
  21. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Sweden will have a stronger team against Australia than they had against USA, since Magdalena Eriksson now is fit for play.

L'orange and blissett repped this.
  22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I’m interested to see if New Zealand start this new player called Gabi Rennie against the USA. Saw her in a youth tournament a while ago. She makes quite a lot of good decisions in the final third and in her brief cameo so far doesn’t look overawed by the Olympic occasion.

23. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Eriksson is a star. But maybe, somehow, Sweden is not stronger with her?! Or Fischer. Or Sembrant. Or Rubensson. At least not against the US. The lineup a few days ago was strong and played the best game against the US since... who knows when?

That's the first time I got an extended look at Angeldal, Andersson, Björn. Or Ilestedt in a central defense role. They were impressive.

24. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #49 Lechus7, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    SWE-AUS

16' No real chances by either side. Both sides are rather mindful for not to make any errors.

19' SWE 1-0 AUS. Jakobsson play pass from the wing into top of 6m box, Hurtig plays dummy running in 1st tempo and drawing defender thus creating space, Rolfo behind her is running in 2nd tempo - shots and scores. Well worked goal - (right from Nadeshiko 2011-12 book :p)

31' Sweden's pushing for second. Australia has problems

38' SWE 1-1 AUS Simon cross finds Kerr's head deep inside 6m box, Lindal scrambles to save the header, reach the ball which already crossed the line. Goal for AUS

25. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana