Group G Allstar Team

Discussion in 'Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal' started by vancity eagle, May 14, 2014.

1. Eser

Eser Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No ghana either...

2. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley hasn't been that bad. He has been the most likely to break down the back line. He hasn't been our best player, which many rightly expected him to be, but he has contributed.

3. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    ------------------Neuer
    --J.Boateng--Hummels--Asamoah

--Jones--Schweinsteiger--Muntari

--A.Ayew ------Kroos-------- Atsu
    ------------------Müller-----------------

Subs
    : Howard, Klose, Ronaldo, Khedira

And no - this isn't supposed to be a functional formation! And I didn't watch Ghana vs Portugal.
    I had a hard time deciding between Howard and Neuer, but in the end Neuer won because he was so good in defending counters before they even reached his box, and I'm German and it's Neuer!

4. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    *********************************HOWARD***********************************

JOHNSON***************HUMMELS*****BESLER***************ASAMOAH

********************SCHWEINSTEIGER*******JONES**************************

MULLER*******************************************************ANDRE AYEW

******************************DEMPSEY*****************************************

**************************************GYAN*************************************

paulalanr repped this.
  5. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that's pretty much what I'd say. Beasley is a close sub for Asamoah as well, and Almeida in the midfield. Sub for a striker/winger would be the tall guy from Portugal who menaced us all match after coming in for Postiga's (really childish playacting) "injury".

Julian Green gets an honorable mention for most impactful minutes in a very short showing. And Deandre Yedlin probably makes a second team as a winger. Both of those guys are going to be huge in 2016 & 2018.

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it is safe to say Neuer has replaced Howard over the last 5 matches.

7. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to rate them separately. They play very different styles. But they both play to their strengths.

8. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say so.

Howard was quite a show-stopper against Belgium, registering the most saves in the history of the World Cup.

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sure, but that's because the US defense sucked at it was basically Howard playing by himself. That said, this is not about just one match, but all of them. Neuer breasted against Algeria as well as France too.

10. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering that this was about a group stage all-star team and not an all-tournament all-star team, I'd take Howard.

I'd also take Howard in an all-tournament team.

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fine. You can have him....

12. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is more to Howard.

Neuer is a cleaner player, one who uses positioning as much to his advantage as is possible. He's quite smart in terms of his preparation. He's also a good save maker.

Howard is the player who is more capable of the great game. He has better quick-twitch muscle response. He's also the better leader and organizer of the back line. His positioning is solid. He is more capable of making a poor step than Neuer though. At the same time, he is more capable of keeping a team in a game (as we saw against Belgium and as Everton fans will attest).

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Right, I stopped reading right here.

14. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are approximately equal keepers. They play very different styles but both are amazingly effective and successful. I'm sure both Howard and Neuer would find this argument silly, as I would bet they both have immense respect for each other. It's like the Messi-Ronaldo argument. Who ultimately cares whom you think is better? It's never going to settle the argument or change anyone else's mind.

15. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should have.

16. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine they would too.

However, I would only suspect that Howard would understand the level of ignorance that fans from around the world have toward American players.

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So I'm ignorant now because I rate another keeper over him and disagree with some of your points? If you weren't talking about me, the who?

That's the way to win an argument.