Group Finish Predictions

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile' started by Pichi, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BGADK

BGADK Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I do think Switzerland is going to lose with lots of goals against (hence my use of "Roadkill"). It would have been much better for Switzerland to start with Chile, and not Spain. Against Spain, Switzerland will lose 2-0 or 3-0. And then Switzerland will HAVE to win against Chile. Of course you will start defensively, but after the first goal to Chile it will go downhill fast, as Switzerland will be forced to come forward. I don't think Switzerland has a real possiblity in this group, the quality difference is too big.
    If the Switz had ended in group C or D, there would have been a real possibility for advancing to the Round 16, but group H has two very strong teams.

2. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Swiss just lost to Costa Rica

http://www.as.com/futbol/articulo/suiza-cae-costa-rica-deja/dasftb/20100601dasdasftb_56/Tes

Costa Rica is more close to Mexico's style than Honduras, but I must stay Honduras is not all that different. based on this result, I stand by my prediction... Spian qualifies first and winds everything, Chile is second, and good luck with Brazil.

Honduras has the potential to pull a surprise too. They are not given much credit cause they haven't shined in international football much, but they are tough.

3. Seymour_Gunner

Nov 23, 2007
    Seymour CT USA
    Swiss 6 (beat Spain 1-0, beat Chili 2-1, and lose to Honduras 1-0)
    Honduras 5 (tie Chili 1-1, tie Spain 1-1)
    Spain 4 (beat Chili 5-1)
    Chili 1
    ------------

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, after last night I might soon join in the Chile chorus. Playing lousy in friendlies is nothing new, but this is the third one in a row. We have trouble scoring from the run of play and simply lack the creativity in midfield when Hakan Yakin is not on the field.

Good thing we don't play until the 16th.

5. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I think the draw favours Chile. Like some other compatriot posted before...

Spain will most likely beat the Swiss and Chile will probably do the same with Honduras.

The resulting encounter between the Swiss and Chile would oblige the Swiss to go for the 3pts! And those sort of matches suits Chile perfectly.

Like in qualifiers...Colombians needed a win at home to get a chance to fight for a world cup place...it was a back and forth game but ultimately Chile was more lethal and we won that match 2-4!

6. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    lol. Go back to watching the Portland Timbers in the USL. ;)

7. cms79

cms79 Member

Nov 25, 1998
    NYC
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Honduras has no shot at making it out of this group.

1. Spain
    2. Chile
    3. Swiss
    4. Honduras.

8. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    think Honduras will take down either Chile or Switzerland with them with a tie.

9. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Spain
    Chile
    Switzerland
    Honduras

10. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    That would be Switzerland... :cool:

11. Parsifal

Parsifal New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    You saw it here first.

1. Switzerland
    2. Chile
    3. Spain
    4. Honduras

Spain to pull a 98.

12. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Amen. I'd like to see us at the top though sir.

13. Pancho17

Pancho17 New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Definitely Chile will advance from group stage and even further, i am looking forward to see this team play.
    They played in Slovakia this spring and i think they were absolutely brilliant but here is no doubt who is the winner in this group.

14. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    We cant go much further...we will hit a brick wall with Brazil...just like in France 98....we don't qualify often but everytime we do we seem to get kicked off by Brazil....1962...1998...and now 2010? Im sick of it...I don't care if we loose the next 100 matches against Brazil but if we face them again I want to win that one...

15. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    naah, think Brasil will start slow again and finish second.

16. BamBamZam1+8

BamBamZam1+8 Member

Jul 28, 2003
    We can only hope. Brazil is the one team I just don't have any confidence against. I feel like we can beat anyone else in the world except for Brazil. How is it possible that the 1 and 2 South American teams could potentially face in the first round of elimination? It's some cruel joke. If the same thing happens in 2014 I'm going to go crazy. I'm so, so tired of seeing them. Oh and you know if Brazil starts out slow, we'll start out on fire and clinch 1st and see them anyway. :) :(

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finish 2nd and face Spain? Not likely. From G, it looks like Brasil and Portugal due to injury. And Brasil should handle Portugal fine. Unless Spain do a 1998, I can see a Spain v. Brasil final.

18. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    thats the thing about Chile and Brazil over the past few years (and prior)

in Santiago we played badly and they killed us

in Brasil we outplayed them and played a great game, and they killed us.

they're our achelis heal. I'd rather play anyone, including Spain-Argentina etc...

the only two teams i fear in the WC are Brazil and England

19. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    ...and Holland.

20. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    the only two teams i "fear" in the WC are Brazil and Germany.

21. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I'm not so worried about Germany, for some reason, the fact that they are also one of the youngest squads out there will make em prone to errors. It also helps that even the Germans would consider a Quarter Final a decent showing...tells you how they feel about their chances.

22. StartingEleven

StartingEleven New Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Calgary
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The problem my friends (Im a chile supporter) is that if we are to advance we will have to play one of those teams eventually so it really dosen't matter to me when we meet them.

Chile has been Magic in the last year... look to that and you will see they will progress to the quater-finals.

23. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I don't buy that 'you have to beat anyone' cliche... it is clear that matchups matter...and more often than not, teams that get a relatively easy path to the final will have more chance to make it than a team that faces tougher opposition.

Ideally you don't want to face more than 2 or 3 powers and one of them should be in the final. That is why the champions are always seeded teams, and more often than not, teams which take the first spot on their respective groups.

Chile will play 2 favorites only to get out of the round of sixteen. Almost impossible.

If we want to think about quarter-finals we have to win the group. Period.