Group D - 2022 FIFA WCQ – AFC Second Round

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Suren01, Jul 17, 2019.

1. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I would prefer and hope Saudi Arabia has following teams in the Group:

Saudi Arabia
    IR Iran
    Anyone from either Australia OR South Korea
    China
    Oman
    Anyone from Lebanon OR Vietnam

Want Saudi Arabia to avoid being in the same group comprising Japan, Iraq, Syria as these sides are dangerous. Also, good to see that UAE and Saudi Arabia will not be in the same group this time as both will have the chance now to qualify from separate group

Between Australia & South Korea, would prefer Saudi Arabia to play against Australia, and between Lebanon & Vietnam, would prefer Saudi Arabia to play against Lebanon. But if the other team comes in the group then shouldn't be of much difference as they are equal to other side.

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What I really like is for Iran to not be placed in a group with Saudi Arabia, among a host of reasons because that will strip Iran of its right to play its home games at home. Otherwise, while I somehow feel Iran will in fact draw Oman, I would kind of prefer we avoid Oman as well since they are coached by Bronco (who has long experience coaching in Iran, including as ex-Iran national team coach and ex coach of Persepolis FC).

p.s.
    While Iran have a great record against S.Korea, I think its time for both Iran and S. Korea find themselves in different groups. Besides, we have not not played Australia since our memorable match against them in 1997 in Melbourne. A game between the two sides is long overdo.

AIL1998 repped this.
  3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    My preferences for the draw for my nation

Pot 1 Iran
    We haven't played Iran since 1997 and Japan has been in our WCQ group for every world cup since we joined AFC

Pot 3 UAE

We had both these teams in our group last time. I think the Saudi's are the slightly stronger of the two.

Pot 4 China PR

Another opportunity to annoy the Chinese Government.

Pot 5 Oman

Syria pushed as too close last time.

Pot 6 Lebanon

Vietnam seem to be getting a few very good results in recent times and look like they are on the up.

In the end it really doesn't matter. We will find it tough whoever we draw especially since it seems we wont be having any home games.

Iranian Monitor and AIL1998 repped this.
  4. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want Iran gets drawn with Australia and UAE from pots 2 and 3. Regard pots 4, 5, and 6, It really does not matter to me.

Iranian Monitor repped this.