Group C Predictions Thread

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by TrueCrew, Dec 4, 2009.

1. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I dont think we will considering we have only just played them and they pass the ball very well. England know all about Slovenia and it wont be easy this time either.

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the time Slovenia come around, it may not matter much for you guys...

3. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It will, I can see us dropping points in one of our games most probably this saturday. That means if we draw against Algeria or USA we can finish second and get a harder draw presuming Germany win their group.

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another big uncertainty. But you're right. Play to win until you know you don't need to...

5. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how they laid down in their final group match in qualifying, we have to assume they would gift Slovenia a point or three if the match doesn't matter. The USA needs 6.

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ....and in the language of the world....

7. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    Your mistaking the word egos with skills. ;)

No our offspring have just grown up into know-it-all indepedent young adults, secretly they always look to their wise father for guidance though.

8. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both wouldn't be much of a stretch in either direction...

9. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    England
    Slovenia

10. Algerian boy 2010

Algerian boy 2010 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  11. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    England & U.S. for sure. The winner of the U.S/England game wins the group.

12. abengland

abengland New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Slovenia didn't play their best today but they got 3pts. US were poor against an even poorer England. Slovenia v US will likely decide things but right now my money's still on Slovenia to nick it. USA are still being overrated, a problem made worse in the media by the fact they drew the Engerlund.

13. Matjaz

Matjaz New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Quite possibly, but I as a Slovenian would still say chances are something like 60% USA, 40% us. Of course I still hope Slovenia wins on Friday :).

Offtopic note to self: Whoever takes the second place in our group, even if it somehow happens to be England, will soon be thrown out of competition by Germany. Damn, are they organised :).

14. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good performance & result by the USA v England. Liked the way we didn't buckle after Gerrard's goal & our defense was very solid after that. Jozy Altidore was good & unlucky not to score on that chance late in the game but also thought he should've passed to an open teammate in the box!

Tim Howard was SENSATIONAL and, easily, the Man of the Match!! Not overlooking Slovenia, but the USA should win...provided we play our best...and must go for the full three points!!

Seeing Germany today, the USMNT must do everything it can to win the group & avoid Germany in the Round of 16. I'm sure England will do the same, since they will get CRUSHED by the Germans, if they meet.

Hope Algeria holds the English to a draw!!

15. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And what do you think will happen if the US plays Germany, a narrow loss?

16. abengland

abengland New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Matjaz I was at both NI's matches against you in the qualifiers. You are a very inconsistent team but on your day the Slovenes are more dangerous going forward than USA. 3pts for a bad performance is the winners way...

17. Matjaz

Matjaz New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Nice to hear that, and thanks :). It's not that I wouldn't believe in the capabilities of our team, they are good, it's just the fact that it has to be our day to win that worries me :).

18. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add in the element of revenge too. I know it's only one game, but they looked scary good today. I do not want to play them in the 2nd round.

19. apetgrave

apetgrave Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany looked good, as they always do ... but, no offence to Australia, they were no competition for the Germans or any ogranized team for that matter. It would be difficult to judge the German's quality based on this match.

If anyone saw Australia's last prep match v. USA, they were horrible. They were outplayed by the Americans, and resorted to physical play to impose their game, which failed completely. They couldn't compete with the USA, for pace, tactics, and without Cahil, their game was pedestrian at best. I was surprized that Dempsey, especially, walked off the pitch at the end of the match uninjured.

The result v. Germany was a given, IMHO, even self evident, made even more so with the loss of Cahil in the 2nd half. They lost 3-1 to the USA, and Findley missed 3-4 clear cut chances, including an 1-on-none chance. We all know from all the experts here on US soccer that if the lowely USA can put them to the sword, then what would a "real team" do against them. (sarcasm)

20. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Not to worry. If the US finish 2nd in the group and wind up facing Germany, we use our secret weapon:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  21. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Until know, it looks to me that this is going to be the most balanced group. Lets wait and see.

22. SpudPup

SpudPup New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else

Assuming England wins by 2 goals (Could easily be more) against Algeria and the US draws against Slovenia draws against the US

England 4 POINTS +2 GD
    Slovenia 4 Points +1 GD
    USA 2 Points 0 GD
    Algeria 0 Points -3 GD (ELIMINATED)

A Tie between England and Slovenia would mean that the US Would need to win by 2 goals to guarantee advancement, and by 3 to win the group (Really win by 1 more than whatever England beats Slovenia to win the group)

What would happen if the US beat Algeria 1-0 and England and Slovenia tied 1-1, and for the sake of argument the US and Slovenia tied 1-1 as well?

23. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Any ties are decided on:

Goals scorered
    Head to Head Record
    Drawing of lots

In your scenario it would be the drawing of lots as each team would have an identical record.

1 Win of 1-0, 2 Draws of 1-1

24. SpudPup

SpudPup New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord that's stupid. I'm not a big fan of Penalties, but wouldn't penalties, the next day make a whole lot more sense. It's not like the teams are playing a game, but at least it's decided on the field and not by random.

25. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Penalty shootouts are just as random and the drawing of lots is very very unlikely. Slovenia v US will be very interesting as it will either ease or pile the pressure on England. The US win and its squeaky bum time, they drop points and England can relax.