Group B Preview

Discussion in 'Group B - England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia' started by nirvaanfc, Jun 4, 2016.

?

Who wins this group?

Poll closed Jun 11, 2016.
  1. England

66.7%
  2. Russia

11.1%
  3. Slovakia

22.2%
  4. Wales

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://footballfutbolcalciosoccer.blogspot.ca/2016/06/euro-2016-preview-group-b-england.html

Probably going to be the tightest of the groups, but likely England, Russia and Slovakia.

Euro 2016 Preview (Group B - England / Russia / Wales / Slovakia)

Team: ENGLAND
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#England
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=39/squad/index.html
    Captain: Wayne Rooney
    Key Players: Wayne Rooney; Joe Hart; Harry Kane
    Potential Breakout Player: Dele Alli
    Notable Absentees: Danny Welbeck (injury); Phil Jagielka (non-selection)
    Best Historical Finish: Semifinals (1996)
    Minimum Expectation: Second Round
    How Far Could They Go: Quarterfinals

England enters the tournament with a very young team with only four players having celebrated their 30th birthdays (i.e. Milner, Rooney, Cahill and Heaton). England absolutely blitzed through qualifying with a perfect record, ten wins from ten games scoring an impressive thirty-one goals whilst conceding a mere three. Confidence within Hodgson's group will be sky high entering the tournament.

England realistically lacks any truly world class players at moment with Rooney on the decline, but in Kane, Alli, Stones, Barkley and Dier they have a number of players primed to continue to stake their claim to be world class. In Hart they have a very good goalkeeper, but questions about the centre of defense will arise. Rashford is the latest youngster thrust into the limelight prior to a big tournament for England - like Owen, Rooney, Walcott and Sterling before him - but up front they already boast three strikers in Kane, Vardy and Sturridge who have been phenomenal in the recently concluded domestic campaign.

The midfield will have an unsettled look about it and the inclusion of Wilshere who has played only a handful of games all season seems a big risk, he may be fresher than most but will he be able to slot into a leading role immediately? Interestingly, the converted defender turned midfielder Dier may be the most integral part of the midfield, being asked to cover for the more attack minded players. The hype is there, but another underwhelming tournament cannot be ruled out even if they are clear favourites in their group.

Team: RUSSIA
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Russia
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=57451/squad/index.html
    Captain: Roman Shirokov
    Key Players: Igor Akinfeev; Artem Dzyuba; Sergei Ignashevich
    Potential Breakout Player: Aleksandr Kokorin
    Notable Absentees: Alan Dzagoev (injury); Yuri Zhirkov (injury)
    Best Historical Finish: Winners (1960 as the USSR); Semifinals (2008)
    Minimum Expectation: Second Round
    How Far Could They Go: Quarterfinals
    The Russians will enter the tournament with one of the oldest teams at the tournament and seeking a strong showing, in preparation for hosting the 2018 World Cup. A number of their key players are veterans of the 2008 tournament which saw the team advance to the semifinals playing an attractive brand of football, even if the man most synonymous with the Russian success in that edition (Arshavin) will not be at this event.

Dzagoev will be a key missing piece given the goalscoring threat he provides from midfield as evidenced by the three goals scored at Euro 2012. In Dzyuba and Kokorin, the Russians will have two forwards capable of getting goals in front of a defence which has significant experience playing together not only at national team level but also at club level with CSKA Moscow - with the coach of CSKA Moscow also now at the helm.

The Russians will fancy their chances of qualifying from this group and would certainly be a favourite to, but they will not have it all their own way. The team will have nothing handed to them as the other teams in the group will all fancy their own chances of taking points off Russia.
    Team: WALES
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Wales
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=144/squad/index.html
    Captain: Ashley Williams
    Key Players: Gareth Bale; Aaron Ramsey; Ashley Williams
    Potential Breakout Player: Ben Davies
    Notable Absentee: Paul Dummett (non-selection)
    Best Historical Finish: N/A
    Minimum Expectation: Qualifying (Already achieved)
    How Far Could They Go: Second Round

With only an appearance at the 1958 World Cup as a major tournament experience for the Welsh, qualification certainly must feel like a dream come through. Having advanced ahead of Bosnia and Herzegovina, finishing in 2nd place behind Belgium in their qualifying section, Wales on the face of it looks like yet another limited team built on a solid defensive foundation (conceding only four goals in ten qualifying games).

The difference for Wales is they have a truly world-class player in Bale entering his prime, they have an all-action midfield dynamo who can score goals in Ramsey and they have an uncompromising central defender who is dominant in the air in Williams. Add to that trio a squad with a solid goalkeeper (Hennessey), a group of experienced Premier League defenders (Collins, Chester, Taylor and Davies) and a serviceable midfield (Allen, King and Ledley) - a solid starting XI can be played.

The Welsh may lack depth beyond their starting XI, but they could pull a surprise in what appears on the face of it a wide open group - they did beat the mighty Belgians in qualifying. Although probably the weakest team of the group, they still boast the best player in the group and as a team they will certainly be up for their second group game against England, with all but two currently playing their club football in England and quite a few actually having been born in England.

Team: SLOVAKIA
    Squad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Slovakia
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=58836/squad/index.html
    Captain: Martin Skrtel
    Key Players: Marek Hamsik; Martin Skrtel; Juraj Kucka
    Potential Breakout Player: Robert Mak
    Notable Absentee: Robert Vittek (non-selection)
    Best Historical Finish: Winner (1976 as Czechoslovakia); N/A
    Minimum Expectation: Qualifying (Already achieved)
    How Far Could They Go: Second Round

As the thus far less successful of the former Czechoslovakian countries, Slovakia will make their debut at the Euros but much of the squad played in the country's finest football moments at the World Cup in 2010 where they advanced to the second round while eliminating the then defending World Champion Italians.

The strength of this Slovakian team lies in their midfield which boasts a world class playmaker in Hamsik, a true midfield workhorse in Kucka plus some goal scoring threats in Weiss and Mak. Slovakia qualified based on the strength of a perfect start to qualifying winning their first six games including a hard earned win against the double defending Euro champions Spain.

With a solid and experienced defensive line (Pekarik/Skrtel/Durica/Hubocan), Slovakia has enough quality to advance from this group even if there is no forward of note to lead the line. The form of Hamsik will be key. Skrtel may be the captain, but Hamsik is the leader, he can dictate the game from midfield and the Napoli legend has a great goal scoring record from midfield.

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is going to be an interesting group to watch and see how it turns out. England are the marginal favorites, but Wales, Russia, and Slovakia all have quality and any of them have a chance at advancing.

England despite having a terrible world cup campaign back in 2014, they have been impressive. They managed to win every single game in their Euro 2016 Qualifying Campaign, despite a scare from Slovenia in both games. They did have an easy group though, catching Switzerland right after they changed managers and haven't found the right approach tactically yet, and Slovenia is an average team, while the rest are rubbish. So the fact they had an easy group can't be overlooked. However this team has young players with great quality. I see them lining up in a 4-3-1-2 formation. Their defense is the weakest part of the team and really must improve if they plan on going far. The midfield with Henderson, Deli Alli, and a third player should look good, and of course Rooney the captain. Kane and Vardy have been sensational this season and if thats not enough, they have proved they work and link up well together in past friendlies. Another downside though is experience. Many of these players have no european experience especially with the national teams. However I do think this team is a step up on paper and as a team from the other teams in this group, and I see them winning the group picking up all 9 points.

Slovakia will likely join them as second place. Slovakia is one of the most underrated teams in this tournament and is a real threat. First of all their captain Hamsik is world class and has been a beast for Napoli this season. Also they have other players like Mak, Weiss, Stoch, and Skrtel who have been widely underperforming for their clubs this season but have been solid and impressive for the national team. I must say I watched this team throughout most qualifiers and friendlies and a few things this team has that is very important is: team spirit, confidence sky high, organization, and great tactical approach. The players also know how to read games quite well, and it seems they really know when its time to defend, time to attack, and how to be patient. Pretty much the only thing missing from this team is a variety of world class talent. But since the other teams in this group that are not England are pretty much missing the same thing, it won't cost them too much. Slovakia will get 6 points and come in second.

I also don't see a third placed team going through in this group, but lets look at the other teams. I must say I feel really sorry for the Russians, because throughout the qualifying campaign they have had terrible problems with injuries, and not just that but Akinfeev getting struck by a flare in one of their games, and Capello getting sacked. I mean all of this is having a horrible impact on the team. I must say though after Capello got sacked and the Current CSKA Moscow manager took over, they have seemed to improve and gain a little confidence, but I still kind of see their confidence being fairly low, and I am not sure what to expect.

Wales has had a few good games in qualifying, but they faced a Belgium side that hadn't got their act together in the first game, and the second game it was a huge mistake Nainggolan made that gave the ball to Gareth Bale in a very dangerous position. Otherwise Wales look like a team thats mediocre at the very best. Without Bale and Ramsey, this team would look like a team in League One or Championship at the most. This team does have confidence, but it seems they really lack organization, and I have seen them looking lost in many games previously. I have a feeling England will seriously outplay this team all over the place in their game.

I must say that I am not convinced enough that either Wales or Russia can advance from this group, and I expect them to have an interesting draw when they play each other like 2-2 maybe. I think Russia might have the edge on goal difference though, because other than Bale, their team seems a little better on paper.

Final Standings:

1. England 9pts
    2. Slovakia 6pts

3. Russia 1pt (Goal Difference)
    4. Wales 1pt