Groundshare with Everton?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by bjb7223, Nov 26, 2004.

1. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
  2. Russian Scouser

Russian Scouser Red Card

Nov 17, 2004
    that Lundun
    No to the share. They need it. We don't.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This story's gone on as long as I've supported the Reds. Yes, that's before a lot of your parents were born! We've had super stadiums being built at both training grounds at one time or another.
    It sounds like someone is trying to push this one a little but for me we don't want or need it. They'd after fumigate the toilets every second match!

Matt, you're usually up on these things, what's the story from where you are?

4. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
  5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    get the newest artificial pitch and save yourself a few mil ... share the ground .. it'll help both teams...

6. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
  7. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    come on dude,that will definetly help everton more than us!!!they dont have the money,and thats why they are looking to share the ground!!

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Bad post.
    You just don't get it, do you?

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fact of the matter is that the NWDA and the City Council are bang up for it - always have been. Everton, naturally, will jump at the chance. Although it does bear pointing out that if they didn't have the financial problems they do have, enthusiasm for groundshare on that side of the park would be as minimal as it is on our side. Their support for the idea is pure pragmatism.

Add to that the fact that Liverpool have just announced that

a) their most recent Annual Report shows high losses for the last year and
    b) that the stadium costs have risen by "about twenty" million pounds

and you've got yourself a new impetus for the whole groundshare idea.

In reality, the financial results are not as bad as they look (loss on last year, but long term debt actually reduced) and the finances for the stadium are still looking perfectly healthy, even if the (media-propagated) figure of a £20m rise in costs is accurate.

Groundsharing is something either club would only do if there really is no other alternative. From Everton's point of view, that's where they are right now. From ours, that's not even remotely close to where we are.

So it's a dead story, even as it lives and breathes. Zombie journalism, if you will. ;)

10. 11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15 Red Card

Nov 30, 2003
    Fla - SC - Eire
    It won't happen in our lifetimes.

Everton has few keen investors lined up that if all works well should have the blue noses climbing out of debt sooner then later.

Richard Carbon who the sports minister of Liverpool is the main culpret behind the move as it would add much need funds into his offices and has friends involved in the Stanley Park deal.

If Everton wasn't hurting so much financially this would never of been an issue. The groundsharing talk has been going on for years now and will probably continue on in the same fashion.

As to the distorted numbers that have been published..u need to look at them from the full 360degree perspective. Even though it says we lost more money this year then last you have to take a look at one glaringly obvious fact...transfer fees.

Owen's departure only covered half of what Cisse cost us and unlike most transfer deals Liverpool have done in the past Cisse's fee was mainly paid upfront. The remaining balance was to be floated to Marseille in only a six month period leaving the full transfer fee on our books this year. You add into the mix that Xavi cost a few and so did a few others guys and we made almost zero on players transfered out of the club.

If there is any financial problem at LFC HQ it's that we hardly ever get fair market value for our players when they leave. For some reason we have this uncanny knack of letting final year contracted players play out their term and then move on , on a free...it's killed us in the past and will keep on doing so if don't learn to work the Transfer market a little bit better.

All in all...the ground sharing won't happen.

11. richfei

richfei New Member

May 19, 2004
    Liverpool
    I agree we don't need this, we don't want this and it won't happen
    I love Anfield, but I love this club even more. We have a plan in place and if this is also going to lead to a regeneration in the area, then I'm all for it. Everton don't have a plan and it's obvious their finances are in poor shape currently and long term it's not much better. God knows how much longer a joint bid would push out the original deadline and how much costs would increase furthermore.

I've said it before, but I wish we had a clearer picture as to the long term financial picture. Those multiple Thai bids over the Summer were a farce. Rafa needs strong financial backing from the board to execute his vision. It's obvious that this season we don't have the strength in depth, and he's inherited players he would normally not be deploying. With a more stable financial footing, increased turnstile revenue and better marketing, I'm sure we can do better on and off the field. The sooner we get this stadium, the better

I certainly think we're in better shape than teams even like Arsenal, who have done fantastically well in recent seasons, but their costs for a stadium in London have exploded - and at what detriment to transfer funds in future

I think the bare minimum for this club is to finish in a CL place every year till the stadium is in place, continue to slash total wages by getting rid of expensive players like Diouf and arguably Kewell (if he's not performing by January) and continue to look into turning this club into public ownership

12. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    New Anfield must happen! Simple as that. If both sides say "No" to groudshare then so be it. The timewasting t0ssers need to get out of the way. Aren't the club suppose to start building in the spring? They should be moving bulldozers in, not be forced to have more dull meetings with government officials.

13. richfei

richfei New Member

May 19, 2004
    Liverpool
    Exactly. We need to be moving forward not backwards and get sucked into old conversations. The groundshare has been floated for ages and nothing has come of it. Parry doesn't want it. Neither does Rafa and I suspect the majority of our fans. However there are economic realities here. But even so, the board has to act. I wish there was a stronger picture here. Perhaps this supposed interest by this new consortium backed by the Kraft family in America will lead to some changes. I haven't been impressed by the way the board has acted in previous months. If we're on a firm financial footing and a clear picture in place, no one would be talking about groundshare anymore. I agree, get the bulldozers in quick and start moving forward !

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Liverpool have told Everton that if they bring £50m to the table by Christmas they may be prepared to consider sharing their new ground with them. (The Daily Telegraph)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4060695.stm

But they also run this as a news above the groundshare one...:The players of La Liga side Getafe will play their next home game with their faces blackened with shoe polish to prove the club is not racist. (The Independent)

15. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    I can't picture us sharing a stadium with Everton but it wouldn't surprise me if we are forced to sell the naming rights.

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We're not going to be "forced" to do anything. Certainly we will not sell the name. The new ground will be called Anfield.

17. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    Just like we won't be forced to sell Gerrard to buy new players if new cash isn't injected into the club, right?

18. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Right. Exactly like that.

19. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    oh my after reading all that i certainly oppose to this rumour.look at us reds sharing with the blues i dont think so.many kenyans here would not want ground sharing.good exampple above about gerrard.although i would like us to get a good grip of the 50 m but no.