Groundbreaking roll call

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by blacktide, Aug 29, 2012.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would have taken the bus but my son hasa game at 2

2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Construction work is kind of boring -- there's like six thousand people here not working.

3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They are pulling people off coleman to make the number.

4. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Speeches. It's 200 degrees and we're captive while dozens of people are thanked.

DotMPP, el americano and billreeves repped this.
  5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less talking and more digging please.

6. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

now let's beat LA

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, barely into the 60's with no noticeable humidity, and you are complaining? o_O

8. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, what was the final tally? Way back where I was it was difficult to hear what was being said on their garage band speaker set-up. I thought they said 6200+, my wife thought she heard 6600+.

9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Interesting about the total because they made it seem like they pulling people off of the street to make the number, so I thought they were right at 4500 or so, and there were a fair number of unclaimed shovels around us in the prestigious "yellow" section. But then they announced 6 thousand something. Either they were trying to buy time to fix their PA problems or maybe they wanted to beat the record by as much as possible to prevent potential me-to's like DC or NE from breaking it. Of maybe they just applied the standard MLS add another 50% attendance bump.

As Lew commented, Chuck Reed was uncharacterisically effervescent in his speech. He's probably never seen so many people show up for a community event like this in San Jose. And of course the stadium is a nice feather in his cap.

10. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I thought I heard 6254 or something like that.

Got lots of photos with my 3 year old daughter shovelling away!

It's a great sign that they can get 6000+ to wait around for 2 minutes of entertainment. Let's hope the media cooperates here.

11. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Fun event, and really well organized. We were trying to figure out going into this how they were going to organize so many people digging for two minutes each. Nicely done, and nice touch to have free water and granola bars for everyone.

Now they just need to get all 6256 of those people to buy season tickets!

We also were thinking they should have made up t-shirts and sold them (or even given them away). Would have been a very popular item.

12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We had to leave as soon as we finished shoveling to get to my son's game. Got to the car, and started to exit the way we'd come in, but that was blocked. So was the next entrance. There was only one exit from that lot, and no way to know which way to go -- no signs or arrows, nothing. Since we left right away, it wasn't a problem for us, but I wondered how horrendous it was for others. Though if a lot of people were just hanging out until the game, maybe there was no traffic jam.

It was pretty clear that there were a lot of details that had not been thought through, like signage. Plus: you had thousands of people hanging around for hours and nothing to sell them but tickets? (We would have at least bought a hat!) But there were no serious oversights, and lucky for the organizers, the crowd was really low key, patient, and willing to go/do whatever.

13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's unfortunate that in all the speechmaking at the groundbreaking today, no one remembered to recognize Soccer Silicon Valley for their efforts in getting the team back and the stadium built.

I'm sorry Don, Colin, et al, that the FO forgot to mention you guys. We all know what you did and are happy you gave us back our Saturday soccer. So THANK YOU for making this day possible.

DotMPP, bigdumbgod and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe no one in SSV is up for election next month. ;)

But I +1 your sentiments.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder how fast those would have got on eBay.

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They forget SSV? What a fxxking stupid mistake.

17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I thought that was a gross oversight, or more accurately, snub. Who was instrumental in retaining the name, colors, and history of the team for San Jose after the relocation? Who was always putting out the call when fans were needed at all the council meetings regarding the stadium? I really think Kaval needs to hear from the fans regarding this. president@sjearthquakes.com

18. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. We thought that it was going to be a complete disaster. Even showing up later than we wanted (11:15), we had no problem getting into the correct line. Nice touch with the music and I had no problem with the speaches. Even getting out was no problem (there were two exits).

Great job Quakes!

19. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping someone up by the stage would yell something to the effect of "What about SSV?", since we were way back by the goal. Kind of hope this omission was just an unfortunate oversight.

20. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking about the 6,256 total. It sounds like they ignored the unmanned shovels and counted all 6,000+extras. The record was broken. Guinness got paid. Everyone went home happy.

Plenty of people left with extra shovels. Now is the time to beg if you wanted one, but couldn't attend.

21. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Could be the way that it went down. They could have just told Guinness that people had RSVP'd for the unmanned shovels, and they're going to come, but they are just "late".

I mean the whole "dig two minutes" requirement thing and everything, it's obvious someone is just making this stuff up. But I still think that it was a great idea. And the organization was not too bad, considering that there isn't exactly a blueprint for doing mass groundbreakings.

Also agree that it's unfortunate that there was no mention of SSV.

22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just spotted the first shovel posted on Ebay (at $99....:ROFLMAO:)

23. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Not true - it had nothing to do with the shovels, there were people counting with clickers at each colored gate entrance. I was talking with someone in line who's boyfriend works in ticket sales, and she told me how it worked. There were two counters for each line, and they each counted how many people went onto the field through the gates. The lower count from the two of them was the official one, and the Guinness Record Official was the one collecting the totals and was also walking around observing the people doing the clicking. Having said that, of course the "counters" could have just padded their numbers but I really doubt they had to.

As I said, we saw lots of people who brought their own shovels, so if there were 6000 shovels provided and let's say there were 300 shovels not used, that just means there needed to be 500 people who brought their own. There could have been that many, I personally saw about 200 or more in line before we went in (there was a "walkup line" where everyone had their own shovel and waited to see if they could get in).

24. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might have been a whole different story if it rained in SJ on the 21st like it did here today (Mon., 10/22):confused:. Instead of kids flinging rocks and dirt, we would have observed kids flinging mud on people getting mad about it, in between wet, crying kids getting mud flung on them by kids having fun getting away with flinging mud all over wimpy crying kids.

25. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like we missed some fun then...

(Yellow line, ended up second row from the Coleman Ave end line within the 6 yd box)