Grey Columbus Crew Open Cup Jersey 2002

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CaliCrewFan, Jul 11, 2005.

1. CaliCrewFan

CaliCrewFan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I was hoping someone out there could help me out. I am a former Crew season ticket holder until I moved to CA this season. I'm desperately looking for the Grey 2002 Open Cup Jersey, new or used. I know it's a bit of a longshot as it's nearly 3 years old but it's worth a shot to me. If anyone has seen it or anyone is willing to sell theirs, please let me know. I'll pay generously for it.
    Thanks

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Dunny - did someone steal your US Open Cup jersey? I bet it was Mathis.

Call Tucker, I am sure he can set ya up with another one.

3. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw one on the Antiques Roadshow last weekend. The market is a little depressed right now for Crew gear, but the appraiser said that since the gray jersey is still the only jersey the team has ever worn while winning a title it's price has been holding steady at $69.95

If it's signed by Garcia it could be worth as much as $72.

You may want to try all the major auction houses.

4. CaliCrewFan

CaliCrewFan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I hate to laugh at the sorry state of my team...but in all fairness, it was the jersey they won the Open Cup in.

5. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    If you can't get ahold of that, I advise you to try to acquire this gem. Support Greg Andrulis' charity and get you hands on the most in-demand jersey in the world.

6. CaliCrewFan

CaliCrewFan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Indeed! I'm holding off for the Bill Gaudette auto'd jersey, sure to increase in price.

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Seriously, the prices they are asking this year as the base-bids are rediculous.

I'll bid just 'cause it's for an excellent cause but it's outta most peoples price ranges.

I doubt if they've auctioned off more than about 6 or 7 of the 30 they've had online.

8. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree. They've lost their minds. I mean, who is honestly going to bid that much for some of those kits? Even though it is a good cause, I can't justify supporting the rediculousness that is the Crew. All the damn jerseys should start off at $75, and if people really want to get them, they will bid for them, hence the whole point of these auctions. Not much of an auction when only 1 person is willing to drop $500 on a mullet jersey (or maybe 0 people).

Crew need to regain their touch with reality.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that next year they're running the jerseys through the Barrett-Jackson Auction.

They're going to call them "Hemi" jerseys, and claim that Boyd Coddington had Charlie and Duane put them together from a Harley Earl design.

Some fat retired guy will bid it up into six digits for sure.

10. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Greg Andrulis' popularity doesn't help, either. When you've got a man who half of the remaining fanbase disgusts, as the face of your charity fundraiser, it's not on target to be a huge success.

11. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Even if they start out at $75, the more-valued ones will get to the $175+ price range. Chad Marshall for $300?? Devin Barclay for $200??

13. CaliCrewFan

CaliCrewFan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Nice pics!! That's the one...

14. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice if the Crew started incorporating that "concrete gray" into the kits.

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It isn't the Crew. Soccer-Aid is specifically run via by Andrulis with th JDRF, with lots of help from Shane Murphy and a plug from the Crew via a press release. I believe it's Andrulis and the JDRF that set the prices.

16. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ahhh the good ole' days...

17. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No wonder. Andrulis over-values lots of things apparently, not just certain players.

RE: Grey kits.
    I was really disappointed we didn't see more of them in some fashion. I always thought they were a very nice kit and it was very different from every other team. It may have worked better if they had add a bit more yellow to them, but I still think they should try and incorporate that color into our kits somehow.

18. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    The league wouldn't approve them for MLS games - hence we only saw them in the Open Cup and I am pretty sure I remember Busch wearing them as a GK jersey during the regular MLS season.

19. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I remember that, but I don't think I ever heard why the league wouldn't approve them for MLS games. Any ideas Fiddy?

The commish not like grey or something? Personally, I don't see how (on tv) it's too different from having a black kit. I know on TV they're usually trying to get contrasting colors for the two teams, so I don't see how that would have been an issue.

20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Not a clue, for some odd reason I thought it had something to do with the officials and what colors they could wear -- but I don't think that is right either. Maybe we should pose that question to Wuerth over on those "other" boards, I bet he'd know.

21. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While you're at it, why don't you find out Warzycha & Danzilla's favorite ice cream flavors. ;)

Hey Hang, I was reading Nuvo this weekend, and saw that some town called Whiting their having a Pierogi Festival in a couple weekends. Maybe we can convince Danzilla and Bob to head up there with us (Mapquest says its near Chicago).

22. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nah, he'd just come up with some spin about how they wanted to go with black for tradition. Or something crazy like that...

23. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer Plus in Westerville, OH has it in stock right now. I was there last Wednesday and was surprised to see it in the store. They had a whole rack of them.

Here's their contact info: http://www.soccerplususa.com/contact.asp

24. CaliCrewFan

CaliCrewFan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I was just in Columbus last week for the DC game and almost went there! Damn. I would never think that they would have it in stock again. Thanks for the tip, I'll call right away on it.

25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't recall Busch wearing it, but I know Presthus did.

That was a beautiful kit, no question. Oddly, adidas never came up with a grey sock to go with - they always had to wear the black ones.

Larry at Socccer Plus in Westerville had them for sale, but they were the real thing, not a "replica". Real two=piece with full liner, boy were they nice. Almost bought one once, really sorry I didn't but they were VERY expensive.